Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 5:58:05 PM EDT
I ran today, and it ihas been 2 years since i ran last. i do swim sporatically, lift weights, and practice jiu jitsu(brazilian)
however after my 2 mile run i was almost to the point of throwing up. it was 85 outside and sunny and very humid, but it disturbs me that i am only good for 2 miles.
i am 22, so i have no excuses. i guess im gonna start going all out with exerciseing again...
what should i do to wean my self back into being physically fit, cardio wise?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want to lose weight?  Sprint(s) uphill!  When your body tells you that you can't do it anymore throw up to teach it (your body) a lesson.  Then sprint uphill again
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
On second thought you live in CO come down to sea level for a couple of years and do all the runinng that you want.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
First you have to do is beable to tell your self that you want to run faster and farther, Then you have to be willing to put in 3 to 6 days a week running.

Go out one day and just run, nothing really fast  Just start getting your base distance in. Basically log miles. Excersizes like sprints and hill running dont do alot unless you have a base. I find running 4 days a week works best for me. Becuase of my work schedual I often run 4 miles on Tuesday, 6 on wednesday, 4 on Thursday and 10 on Saturday.

Some one asked about getting thier 2 mile time down, So I gave them a Plan. Its some where in this forum.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 to what Sixgun said. You've got to build a good base before you start getting into the more strenuous stuff like speed and hills. It's like learning the fundamentals of safe weapons handling before you get into shooting on the move or secondary weapons transistions.

A good rule of thumb when doing your base runs is to trot along at a pace that allows you to maintain a conversation (if you're running with someone; otherwise, imagine yourself talking to someone alongside you--actually talking to no one while running is often seen as a sign of lunacy).

Try to start off by doing a mile at this pace. If that's too easy, then do more but probably no more than 20-30 minutes to start off with, even though you're young and resilient. Running for a certain amount of time is probably better for those just starting a running program as you should be concerned primarily with putting in the time on your feet and getting everything accustomed to the pounding. (Remember to run in dedicated running shoes that you get at a specialty running shoe store, not a department store or general sporting goods store. And don't wear the shoes for anything but your runs.)

Beginners probably shouldn't run every day; doing so invites an overuse injury. Every other day should be good. Work up to where you can go 30 minutes four times a week (but don't increase the time spent running by more than 20 percent). That's said to be a good goal for those seeking to be in halfway decent shape, and you should be able to get there in three to six months.

If you feel like taking it to the next level and racing or doing longer distances, your body will be able to handle it better by having this base down. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I ran today, and it ihas been 2 years since i ran last. i do swim sporatically, lift weights, and practice jiu jitsu(brazilian)
however after my 2 mile run i was almost to the point of throwing up. it was 85 outside and sunny and very humid, but it disturbs me that i am only good for 2 miles.
i am 22, so i have no excuses. i guess im gonna start going all out with exerciseing again...
what should i do to wean my self back into being physically fit, cardio wise?

This is normal.  I suggest running to get back in shape.  30 min a day at the lactate threshold 6 days a week.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah 30 minutes of the walk run plan, Run till you get tired walk a minute and try it again, if you only make it a couple more minutes walk another minute. Keep at it.  The next day head our and try to go a little longer till you walk. eventually you be able to run the whole 30 minutes. its not easy but it will get easier.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to run 3 times a week (I got lazy and not enough time). But here in FL its much better to run in a treadmill because its so much cooler inside. I mostly only run 4 miles at like 7 miles per hour.
I had to get an MP3 player because i got ultra bored while running...
What I say, push yourself every time in the treadmill until you cant anymore. Don't start at the hightest speed, but dont start slow either. Push yourself though, thats the key to run more and more, also faster.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The Thing about running is, the more that you do the more you learn about the right pace. for the first couple of week you will feel like crap for most of the time running. as your distance increases you learn how to pace your self and what feels good. I always feel like crap the first 5 minutes, It seems like it take a few minutes to get my heart in and breathing in sync with my legs. After that its all smooth sailing.

One thing I like about the treadmill is it seems like the warm up is much easier for me. I walk .25 miles at 4 mph, then go to 6 mph every .35 miles I bump it .2 or .3 mph till I get to 7 and that when I really start my work out whether its speed or inclines. Speaking of treadmills I kinda miss mine in the summer just like in the Winter when I start to miss running out becuase I am stuck on the treadmill all the time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the advice....
i have kept at it and i can do 2 miles now without a problem....
i am doing this to better my abdominal muscles/legs, also being able to run is kind of important to me... idk why i just like to know i could outrun most people if i had to, which i can not right now....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top