Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 7:06:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 7:29:11 PM EST by sleepdr]
ETA - Incidents in Boston area, not Idaho
Mrs sleepdr and I got home late this evening and were letting the dog out when we heard strange sounds from the cemetery across the street. It sounded eerily like someone screaming with a hand over their mouth to muffle it. Now, we've had problems with vagrants using it as a campground and I've found drug paraphernalia littered about. I ran over to see if anyone needed help, and found a brick... wrapped in a plastic bag... with a piece of women's underclothing lying on top. At that point I called the local constabulary whilst doing a quick scan of the area to see if anyone was there. (BTW, Surefire makes some BRIGHT little lights - glad I had it) 3 cruisers arrived, but we weren't able to find anything but a skunk. They wondered if perhaps it was a cat being taken by a coyote. Maybe, but that was a singularly strange sound.

Last night with 2 parents and sister, Mrs sleepdr and I were entering an almost deserted subway station. I noticed a solitary male, baseball cap pulled low, wearing baggy jeans and a hockey jersey descending the stairs behind us. Something seemed hinky, so I kept a close eye on him. As we stood in line to buy tokens, he started to quarter off to our left and size up the group while pretending to stay in line. I circled to a position almost between him and my family while calmly meeting his gaze. He hesitated, blinked, nodded at me, then walked away through the turnstile and out the other side of the station. I'm sure it didn't hurt that I wear a buzz cut and had a knife clipped to my trousers, but that combination of calm and situational awareness probably saved us from grief.

That's all really, just wanted to vent a little and reaffirm the importance of knowing one's surroundings.

Sleepdr out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:10:27 PM EST
Situational awareness can save you a lot of trouble...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:11:25 PM EST
The last of those two situations would be by far my greatest concern.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:12:55 PM EST
They have subways in Idaho?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:19:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By sleepdr:
an almost deserted subway station.

Yea actually they do. But they're almost deserted.

ID has a submarine base too!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:24:40 PM EST
heh heh

Should have added that I'm in Boston right now... and yes, there are a couple institutions there dealing with subs and nuclear power
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:25:13 PM EST
In Idaho we call potato cellars "Subways" cause you are under a whole lotta dirt. same dif really.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:26:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
In Idaho we call potato cellars "Subways" cause you are under a whole lotta dirt. same dif really.....

I doubt a potato cellar is going to have tokens or thugs, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:27:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:

You know, we did have a culvert (covered ditch) in front of my house. Does that count if it wasn't quite a lotta durt but had a galvanized metal tube?

And yes, the situation in the subway was much more concerning to me as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:29:03 PM EST
Brick...plastic bag...cemetery...women's undergarments...

Did you perchance know this individual?

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:42:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By Moof:

I think it was Al Capone who said, "Even if I did know, I wouldn't tell."
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:45:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Moof:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/ml1209/purple.jpg

I'd hit it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:49:11 PM EST
(1) ... Creepy, I love shit like that; and Coast-to-Coast

(2) ... Back to reality, good situational awareness on your part. Probably prevented a crime.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:53:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
The last of those two situations would be by far my greatest concern.

Are you mad!
Can't you see that he's got a zombie problem in his graveyard!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:24:21 PM EST
So would an M4gery or a good old 870 be better for zombie patrol?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:36:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By sleepdr:
So would an M4gery or a good old 870 be better for zombie patrol?

M4. You need many many rounds for zombies since they always attack in hoards. you won't have enough time to reload the 870 all the time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:40:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By deimos:
Situational awareness can save you a lot of trouble...

Agree
Top Top