Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2001 5:38:01 PM EDT
Yup, 2 of 'em.

One was pretty....very pretty. BAD trigger, I mean REAL bad.

Second one had a good trigger...and the upper and lower were two different colors.

So...# 182 looked good, and was smooth with a $hitty trigger....
# 183 had a nice trigger, and a two toned paint job.

Either one for the low, low, discount price of $799.00.....

Capitalism at it's best.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So whose were they?  
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That's right folks.  While Lew here is nursing a beer with a look of disappointment in his eyes, let me add a little more to that report(minus the linear "Propeller Head" diction).

At a gun show this afternoon here in Monroe, GA.  Sitting at the table was a few AR carbines, in the midst of which - *gasp*, a true grit LEGP rifle!  I pick it up, very much impressed with the feel, fit, and finish of the beauty.  I then go to dry fire the beast, noticing the LOVELY trigger this baby had.  This thing crept more than things that go bump in the night.  I sat it down immediately on the table, figuring "even the best of rifles has to have a weak spot", and let the thought of the RRA's quality spots outweigh its vices.  Immediately afterwards, I see it's sister just one table over...so the saga continues...

#183 was a Franken-gun.  The upper rocked on the lower, the finish was a funky purple on the lower, and I was not impressed w/ either the fit or overall finish.  Oh, but lucky day, at least the trigger didn't suck.

So what have we learned today kiddies?  We've learned flaws in quality are a double edged sword.  I'm still, to this minute, deciding which is worse:
1.) The lack in competent gunsmithing involved in each of the respective rifles' dark sides, or
2.) The COMPLETE INCONSISTENCY between two identical rifles, with CONSECUTIVE serial numbers no doubt.

Am I missing something here?  Most of you guys only base your experience w/ the LEGP off of your own personal weapon, either praises or criticisms.  But try TWO of them, and some of you may see some light...be it a light of praise for RRA, or the light at the end of the tunnel.  Your call, boys and girls.

[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/new jew.jpg[/img]

P.S. - The 'propraetor' of these LOVELY rifles had no idea who we were, after Lew and Jew identified themselves.  Nevertheless, he was selling these as gen-u-ine AR15.com Limited Editions, with his own standard $150 markup...of course.  What a community we got here, eh?
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
According to the "salesman", he ordered them from "Castle". I did not press the point.

I'm going back to the same show tomorrow, any bets that at least one of the LEGPs is sold?

"That there is a collectors item son....."
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Well they are among the last batch shipped. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and my number was 180. Why would you want to sell so soon after getting it. Unless of course you have money troubles. Then why get it in the first place. I would have to be on the verge of becoming homeless before I sell mine. But then again I'm the one and only lordtrader.

BTW I think parts have been swapped on these puppies. Have handled 3 LEGP's so far, including my own(2 were the ones Anti brought down) all were exact replicas of each other.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Makes ya wonder if someone hadn't been swapping uppers, trigger groups etc on these before they sold them......
View Quote

I should note that, IF they were forgeries, they were IDENTICAL forgeries, complete in every way. Why waste the time to forge a LEGP upper?
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why would you want to sell so soon after getting it. Unless of course you have money troubles.

View Quote

Remember back when you were a kid, and you traded your ham sandwhich for your friend's stale turkey on rye, only to realize nobody likes a stale turkey on rye?  Seeing as I was a pretty smart kid, I decided not to eat the sandwhich - I'd trade it off to the next sucker at the table next to me.

I'll let you connect the dots on that one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Did either of the LEGP's have a carry handle or tac handle? That would affect any mark-up.
$660 + either $95 or $145.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did either of the LEGP's have a carry handle or tac handle? That would affect any mark-up.
$660 + either $95 or $145.
View Quote

Neither was included.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
The protective silicone spray that RRA uses may be the reason why the one looked mismatched.  Until you clean that spray off it'll look glossy.  As far the trigger goes mine was a dream, I also wonder if that one was switched???

I do realize though that issues happen, I feel confident both RRA & Castle would work diligently to correct any problem.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope, no spray.

I have a small amount of experience with rifle(AR15/M16) finishes.
No runs, no drips, but, I did see a error.
Purple is NOT my color.

Link Posted: 8/11/2001 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The [b]only[/b] complaint I have with mine is the issued magazine.

Granted mine is a low issue # , but I wouldn't sell or trade "HER" for anything... This coming from a die-hard COLT fan.

Rock River Arms made me a believer!!!

As to the two LEGP's at your gun show...Somethings Rotten In The State Of Denmark???
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
There is always something rotten in the state of GA.

I'll take the digital cam to the show tomorrow....and let the LEGPs fall where they may.

LEGPForgery? WHY? The HUMANITY!

[I]Why waste the time?[/I]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#14]
This just doesn't smell right to me. I for one would like to know whom the seller is and who received these #'s. Out of all the LEPG sold no one has complained of the above mentioned defects. makes me wonder why these two are so screwed up. mmk
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Just pulled my unfired LEPG #111 out of the safe and it has the best fitting upper/lower of all my AR-15. [Including 2 Colts, 1 Eagle Arms and a Palmetto (All prebans)] None to them are really sloppy. The trigger pull is about the same as all my AR-15. The upper and lower are a perfect match in color. Never heard anyone say there was a lose fitting upper and lower on a LEGP, mine I use a piece of plastic to push out the pins.
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
182 and 183 were shipped to the same FFL, on July 31, 2001.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=41182[/url]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#17]
RD,
Thanks.
I would still like to know who the rifles were intended for. I'll be heading to the show later...Maybe dig the "MAN" for some more info.

Lew
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds fishy. I'm staring at #26 right now, no purple tint, tight fit, trigger DOES NOT suck...hmmmn. I wonder.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]
This pair of rifles was ordered by a dealer in the Atlanta area, specifically for resale.

I am a little surprised that he is displaying them already, while the promotion is still on, but he is entitled to do as he pleases with them.

As for "mismatched"..?  They damn sure looked the same as everything else I packaged up and shipped out.  this would lead me to believe there may have been a bit of swapping taking place!

Not a single rifle I saw was purple...  That sounds like a Bushmaster component to me!
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#20]
As someone else atated,
It's strange that out of 250 rifles
NO One has had those specific defects.
#117 is atleast as nice as my Neighbors Blue lable colt.

Something smells funny, and it aint the Hoppes!!!

Del
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I also find this hard to believe.  

My LEGP is black, upper and lower match perfectly.  Fit is much tighter than my Bushmaster. Trigger is comparable to my Bushey and most certainly not flawed by excessive creep.

I would also think that if I was a dealer and I had received two rifles that were flawed as it was stated these two were, and I was planning on marking up the price and reselling them, I most certainly would have complained to the company that produced them.  Or the people I bought them from.

We have some real picky people here and if the quality of the LEGP was like the two described you sure as hell would have heard nothing but bitching here on the board.

It sounds fishy to me.  I'd have to see it for myself to believe it.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Bootedaddy%2FPicture%252081%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Are you guys naive enough to believe that almost all "limited editions" are purchased by someone for resale.  What I mean by that is at least one purchaser in a limited edition buy is getting the goods to resale sooner or later.  It's an investment plain and simple.  The sale ran long enough so everyone who wanted one should have been able to get one.  The guy bought two to resale.  So what?  It's America right?  Were there any terms of sale prohibiting him from making a resale?  As far as swapping parts and calling it the real McCoy, that's a different matter.  If it could be proven that the guns aren't legit as advertised, that could be considered fraud.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I am limited by law to one M1 Garand a year (by SSN) so I'd be interested in how a dealer is selling numbers of them from the CMP. I suppose that he could gather up everyone who works for him and use their purchases but that's pretty dumb for $300 profit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#25]
re: the CMP Garand Purchase Program

limit is upped to 5/yr now.

[url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/latest_news.htm#limits[/url]

scott out
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure Castle Arms would love to find a dealer to take 200 LEGP's off their hands. In fact I'd guess they'd do a little better on the price.

There's nothing wrong with that. Anything that supports Castle Arms is a good deal for the rest of us.

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry,

My "Honey-do" list grew by about a factor of 10 this morning. I'm not going to be able to get back to the show today.
*However*, there is another show, (Atlanta South), next weekend. I am sure that the same dealer will be there.

Besides triggers, has anyone had a problem with their LEGP?

My curiousity got tweaked yesterday....

Lew
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sorry,

My "Honey-do" list grew by about a factor of 10 this morning. I'm not going to be able to get back to the show today.
*However*, there is another show, (Atlanta South), next weekend. I am sure that the same dealer will be there.

Besides triggers, has anyone had a problem with their LEGP?

My curiousity got tweaked yesterday....

Lew
View Quote

The only problem I have had with mine is not having enough time or money to shoot it as much as I want.  I couldn't be more pleased.

Aggie1
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Ditto what Aggie1 said.
I could not be more pleased with the rifle.

Quite honestly it looks like it was assembled by someone wearing cotton gloves.

I don't care for the 10 round mag however.
But that has nothing to do with the gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#30]
A dealer saw me with the original sample when I walked a show near Atlanta.   He ordered 2 on the spot. That was in April I think. He just got his last week or the week before. I thought he would wait until after the LEGP sale is over to promote because anyone looking at the rifle should see the AR15.com engraving & come here & see they can still (until 8-31) buy the same rifle for $660.00 delivered!.  He may have just so much inventory & wants to make a good impression to show attendees. Sounds like he may have one as original & the other's upper & lower on other rifles.

When we took the 2 samples we got from RRA to various gun shows the first few months of the sale to generate interest, lots of dealers realized right away the price was better than they could get due to our volume courtesy of AR15.com.  We had a lot of interest & it would not surprise me if some of these are in shops for sale right now.  In fact, I know of a shop in western IL who will have about 12 for sale after the sale is over.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top