Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2008 2:07:54 PM EDT
2 Humvees missing from Afghanistan base

The Associated Press
Posted : Monday May 12, 2008 8:31:07 EDT

KABUL, Afghanistan — Two armored Humvees were missing from a U.S. military base in Afghanistan, a military spokesman said Monday.

The military was investigating whether the vehicles were stolen, although officials believed they were likely still in the possession of U.S. personnel but simply unaccounted for, said Lt. Col. Paul Fanning.

The two vehicles were reported missing May 6 from Camp Phoenix in the capital, Kabul, Fanning said.

“We have a witness from our own teams here that says he saw them last being operated by U.S. personnel,” Fanning said. “We are tying to locate where they are precisely.”

The Humvees have electronic equipment designed to thwart improvised explosive devices.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely transferred to another unit, and the paperwork was lost/misplaced.

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The information we received was that they had just gotten incountry, they belonged to Navy Seabees (Navy...figures).  I'm in the States right now, left Afghanistan Friday so haven't heard anything new.  The last info we got they weren't sure if the vehicles had any weapons, comms, ECMs in them so it appears the information has been updated since then.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ever see M*A*S*H* the movie?
~Dg84
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.reviewsontheside.com/reviews/images/three_kings_big.jpg

"You know how much we can make off of five duffel bags of opium back in the states?"
~Dg84
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
They were Seabee 1151s (up-armored HMMWVs). No weapons onboard. Locks were found cut, laying in the dirt where the vehicles were last parked. Video shows them exiting the gate behind two SUVs. No trip tickets, guards report they were told "We're just going to Camp Eggers." Primary suspect at this time is SEALs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
For a list of technical reasons I won't go into this doesn't matter too much.

We aren't dealing with Soviets here... Them getting a hold of our jamming gear does not mean they will be able to counter our jamming... Not unless they have some very smart people helping them. And generally, while they aren't dumb, they tend to lack people with the technical qualifications for that.

IBTDYSIMP (In Before The Did You See Iron Man Post).
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Or something very similar.  We've all no doubt used plenty of equipment that never was actually on our books - rest assured it was on someone's books - or served as a statistic somewhere for "lost" equipment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Didn't someone else post about how sneaky SEALs were?  Why don't they just request shit instead of stealing it?
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We aren't dealing with Soviets here... Them getting a hold of our jamming gear does not mean they will be able to counter our jamming... Not unless they have some very smart people helping them. And generally, while they aren't dumb, they tend to lack people with the technical qualifications for that.

Hadji isn't going to be cutting locks, stealing trucks, and telling gate guards in English 'we're just going to the next FOB'...

Sounds more like some other unit decided *they* deserved new vehicles faster than the Seabees....

Something attached to SOCOM would sure fit the bill - they tend to 'do their own thing'....
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They were Seabee 1151s (up-armored HMMWVs). No weapons onboard. Locks were found cut, laying in the dirt where the vehicles were last parked. Video shows them exiting the gate behind two SUVs. No trip tickets, guards report they were told "We're just going to Camp Eggers." Primary suspect at this time is SEALs.

That is a very believable story.

We had a HMMWV stolen by the local Special Forces unit my last deployment.  I suppose they felt they needed it more than we did.

A sharp eyed young soldier spotted ours before it was rendered unrecognizable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or something very similar.  We've all no doubt used plenty of equipment that never was actually on our books - rest assured it was on someone's books - or served as a statistic somewhere for "lost" equipment.

'They were left unsecure... So we secured them'
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 12:58:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hadji isn't going to be cutting locks, stealing trucks, and telling gate guards in English 'we're just going to the next FOB'...

Sounds more like some other unit decided *they* deserved new vehicles faster than the Seabees....

Something attached to SOCOM would sure fit the bill - they tend to 'do their own thing'....

I agree... That is their style... I'm just saying, even worst case, this isn't a huge fuckup like losing the enigma machine or something.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 1:13:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Didn't someone else post about how sneaky SEALs were?  Why don't they just request shit instead of stealing it?

People on this board can idealize or worship certain job fields to their hearts content, but in the end, a 20-year old is a 20 year-old, and sometimes a 30 year-old acts like a 20 year-old.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#15]
So if it turns out that another unit 'stole' it, what exactly will the punishment be?
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 1:25:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Typical paperless tranfer, using a "master key"
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So if it turns out that another unit 'stole' it, what exactly will the punishment be?

It depends.

Depends on what unit stole them, what the command realtionship is, what their intentions were, and whether or not they're caught red-handed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They'll take the vehicles back. Unless they catch the individual that actually stole them there isn't anything that can be done about it and even if they do catch him, he'll probably get away with it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#19]
If anybody is still interested--they found the HMMWVs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Heh, I was just thinking, "I guess SF needed some new wheels".
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If anybody is still interested--they found the HMMWVs.

What happened?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

None. That is why it keeps happening. SEALS will argue:

"You need us.  There's a war on. You want us to fight? Or sit in the brig?"  

Nothing is going to happen to the perps.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#24]
What I heard was that some LTC, presumably SF, complained that he couldn't get the HMMWVs that he needed even thought there were some that (according to him) never moved from their parking spaces. So he stole them, took them to a FOB down south and painted over the Seabee insignias and bumper numbers. Of course the data plates still identified them as Navy property. One of his SPCs reported it. Apparently this LTC has had a colorful history and this is probably his last straw.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What I heard was that some LTC, presumably SF, complained that he couldn't get the HMMWVs that he needed even thought there were some that (according to him) never moved from their parking spaces. So he stole them, took them to a FOB down south and painted over the Seabee insignias and bumper numbers. Of course the data plates still identified them as Navy property. One of his SPCs reported it. Apparently this LTC has had a colorful history and this is probably his last straw.

I don't trust anyone without a colorful history.  
Matt
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I highly dount they will do much about stolen vehicles, especially if its special forces.

ETA: 3rd page ownage today iam on fire
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:

Well for one, the people whos humvee got stolen needs to beat some serious fucking ass.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

I once used laundry dye to turn a guy purple. He stayed that way for just over three weeks.

Does that count?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Haha, nice
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Strategic
Transfer of
Equipment to
Another
[#31]
IIRC, the only real trouble you can get in (aka, go to Leavenworth) is if you destroy or deface the dataplate.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

I'm saving this quote for the next cop thread.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I think its kind of funny
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

This is pretty much how i heard it. I got it 6th or 7th hand from a civilian securty tech rep.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I think its kind of funny
I think it's hilarious until some Seabee dies in an IED blast instead of surviving it in one of these trucks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Strategic
Transfer of
Equipment to
Another

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I am kinda with the LTC on this one.

Not sure how much out the wire work SEABEEs are doing, but I doubt it is much.  Should one unit expose their personnel to danger so that another FOBBIT unit can have their pimped out static displays?

While I don't disagree with you in theory, I can tell you that there is no way of knowing how those vehicles were previously being used simply by looking at the unit insignia.

(I had more written here but deleted it due to OPSEC.)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I am kinda with the LTC on this one.

Not sure how much out the wire work SEABEEs are doing, but I doubt it is much.  Should one unit expose their personnel to danger so that another FOBBIT unit can have their pimped out static displays?

Your not being in the AO certainly adds weight to your assertion about the SEABEES being FOBBITs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Seebees are outside the wire all the time.  In 2004 when I was in the AOR, a convoy of Seebees were ambushed and they lost 3 or 4 guys.  I remember watching the next convoy go out and they were loaded for bear.  Uparmored humvees with .50's and Mk-19's.  They weren't fucking around.  They all looked like, "Lets go build some shit and kill any fuckers that get in our way."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top