Posted: 1/25/2009 6:40:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Tragic .. RIP
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
That really sucks.

Now for a short rant.

When the hell are we going to learn that we aren't supposed to kill anybody in training.

I'm not bashing these guys or their department, but we have got to start understanding that our job is dangerous enough that we need to throttle down on the training when lives can be lost or destroyed.

I hope this doesn't come off as terribly angry, but I'm seeing the light at the end of my retirement tunnel.  It's still a few years off, but I'm doing everything I can to assure that I make it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That really sucks.
Now for a short rant.

When the hell are we going to learn that we aren't supposed to kill anybody in training.

I'm not bashing these guys or their department, but we have got to start understanding that our job is dangerous enough that we need to throttle down on the training when lives can be lost or destroyed.

I hope this doesn't come off as terribly angry, but I'm seeing the light at the end of my retirement tunnel.  It's still a few years off, but I'm doing everything I can to assure that I make it.

As you train, so shall you fight.

Train half assed, you will fight half assed.

Certainly make every reasonable effort to be safe, just like you do in real life.  The job is dangerous, and training for it is likewise dangerous.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Kilgore is where I went to Fire Academy, as well as Paramedic school. I did not know the guys that died, but I do know many of the other firefighters and EMS personnel. My heart goes out to the familes, friends, and co-workers.
RIP brothers
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
RIP. Prayers for the department and the families.

I'm really interested to see what might have caused this one. Sounds like it was maybe equipment failure?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
R.I.P brothers.Never let your guard down Gary Lit. Eng.423,Lynbrook.N.Y
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That really sucks.

Now for a short rant.

From the sounds of the article, it doesn't sound like the training was that intense or if it was the intensity doesn't really seem like the main factor in this tragic accident.  The main cause seems to be that they were learning how to use new equipment and that they just had a mistake while using it.  I don't see any way that they can avoid this since they would have had to train on the new gear.

That said, RIP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
May they rest in peace
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top