Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2010 1:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2010 1:12:46 PM EDT by BillofRights]
This is on a 90cc ATV that I picked up used. The name on it is "Kolpin"

Can the oil injection be adjusted? It has blue smoke and liquid oil dripping from the tailpipe. Is the engine shot, or can this be tweaked?

I know nothing about this type of engine, and it didn't come with any documentation at all. ETA Found the Manual PDF.

Any help appreciated. My kids are counting on you.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:16:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:16:26 PM EDT
YOU COULD ABANDON THE OIL INJECTION SYSTEM AND PRE-MIX THE FUEL.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:19:02 PM EDT
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

What would be a good ratio for the fuel/oil mix?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:21:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

???
Whatever the manual says?

(just a random thought )
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:29:42 PM EDT
32 to 1
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:46:12 PM EDT
Start "rich" ,,say 32-1 and see how the tailpipe looks . Clean the pipe VERY WELL with degreaser before hand. If the first batch of pre-mix leaves a lot of "soot" it is too rich and drain the fuel and go to 40-1 ratio. A good read on a tail pipe is to put your finger in it, drag it out and you will see moderately black residue. If you see anything close to gray you don`t have enough oil in the pre-mix.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:48:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HBruns:

???
Whatever the manual says?

(just a random thought )

Theres one in every crowd. Manual doesn't say, because it has an automatic oil reservoir.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:54:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
Go here to find the manual:

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/owners-parts-manuals.html

Read the manual and adjust the oil pump. Fill the reservoir with 2 stroke injector oil. Use some of the smokeless 2 stroke injector oils. Some scooters use it. A lot of auto parts stores stock it.

Premix is messy with all the measuring and mixing. It also leads to the chance of straight gas being poured in the tank and the engine seizing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:55:53 PM EDT
You could always just leave it alone. It won't blow up from too much oil.

You know nothing about 2 strokes but want to screw with the oil ratio.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:57:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By captblue1:

This man has much wisdom.

If the plug is not fouling leave it alone. Buy a spare spark plug if the engine gets flooded with fuel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:08:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By craigsar15:

Read the manual and adjust the oil pump. Fill the reservoir with 2 stroke injector oil. Use some of the smokeless 2 stroke injector oils. Some scooters use it. A lot of auto parts stores stock it.

Premix is messy with all the measuring and mixing. It also leads to the chance of straight gas being poured in the tank and the engine seizing.

I just down loaded, and read the Owners manual, and the MX manual. No mention of adjusting the oiler. I will try a different oil before I do anything else. For all I know, the previous owner may have put the wrong kind of oil in there.

I've premixed my weedwacker, and out board oils for decades, and it doesn't seem too difficult. I agree through, that it would be better not to have to.

Thanks for all the advice everybody!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:15:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By captblue1:

This man has much wisdom.

If the plug is not fouling leave it alone. Buy a spare spark plug if the engine gets flooded with fuel.

No kidding, it's a 90cc toy. You don't need to get the mixture just right to tune it for maximum power output. Stay on the safe side and let 'er drip
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:26:19 PM EDT

I just down loaded, and read the Owners manual, and the MX manual. No mention of adjusting the oiler. I will try a different oil before I do anything else. For all I know, the previous owner may have put the wrong kind of oil in there.

I've premixed my weedwacker, and out board oils for decades, and it doesn't seem too difficult. I agree through, that it would be better not to have to.

Thanks for all the advice everybody!

Try this, check the exhaust for clogged baffles or spark arrestor screen. If you can dissassemble it clean and repack it with a silencer repack kit from a motorcycle shop. Inspect the pipe at the cylinder end for a restrictor plate. If you have one remove it. It is for beginner riders but usually just makes the vehicle run bad.

What does the air filter look like? If it is dirty it will restrict the air into the engine.

What altitude is it operated at? 2 strokes have to be jetted for altitude. They usually come set for sea level and are puking rich. Check the service manual for some pictures. If you are mechanicly inclined do it yourself. Or remove the carburetor and and take it to a Motorcycle Shop. Try to find an independant with 2 stroke experience.

If it doesn't foul plugs I'd just clean up after it. Drool means you have enough oil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2010 2:33:12 PM EDT by bikertrash]
Ini trhe 90CC SERVICE manual it talks about adjusting the oil pump on pages 18-19, but it doesnt tell how. My guess is:
A-there is a mark on the arm where the cable connects and a mark on the pump housing that need to be lined up the marks usually are a line), or
B- you adjust the cable so that when you start to open the throttle the pump arm starts to move. ;)

YMMV (and your oil consumption)
Top Top