Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 9:13:01 AM EDT
2 Ark. Skateboarders Plead No Contest
Thursday, August 16, 2007

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. —  Two skateboarders who were videotaped in a scuffle with a police officer in downtown Hot Springs have pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges.

Neither was sentenced to jail time.

Skylar R. Nalls, 19, pleaded no contest Wednesday to violating a city skateboarding ordinance and to misdemeanor charges of fleeing and obstructing government operations. Police say Nalls attempted to interfere with an officer arresting other youths.

District Judge Ralph Ohm ordered Nalls to perform 30 days of community service within six months. He also fined Nalls $85 and imposed court costs. The judge said Nalls could perform the community service in Arkadelphia, where he is a student at Henderson State University.

Matthew Jon McCormack, 21, of Hot Springs, pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor count of third-degree battery for allegedly striking Hot Springs Community Services officer Kenneth Billingsley. Billingsley was assisting police officer Joey Williams, who was arresting McCormack.

The judge fined McCormack $210 and ordered court costs and performance of 30 days of community service within six months.

Ohm said he would consider wiping the defendants' records clean if they complete their obligations.

A video shot by skateboarders of the June 21 disturbance was posted on YouTube and appeared to show Williams choking one skateboarder and putting two others into a headlock. An internal police investigation concluded Williams used proper force when making his arrests.

Police said they arrested four juveniles in the confrontation.

Skateboarding is banned in most of downtown Hot Springs, as is roller skating, inline skating and bicycle riding on sidewalks.

Too funny.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Two skateboarders who were videotaped in a scuffle with a police officer in downtown Hot Springs have pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges

No surprise there. Most of us knew the officer did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't believe no one wants to comment on these folks pleading guilty.

They didn't.

You're right, no contest.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's damn funny how many folks jumped up to cry "brutality" when the YouTube vid came out. Seems that the little details about the kids breaking the law and assaulting a police officer were never mentioned.

Hopefully those shithead kids will learn something from this. Sorta doubt it though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I remembered that, I sided for the cops, I think.   I dont usually side with smart mouth crybaby teens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
They took a deal, they should have taken it to a jury .

Petty laws, Officer acted like he was defending the free world.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They took a deal, they should have taken it to a jury .

Petty laws, Officer acted like he was defending the free world.

Officer was enforcing laws enacted by the duly elected representatives of the city.  I'm sure you'd be the first to say the 'kids' were just breaking a petty law if one of them knocked over & injured your mother while they were skateboarding.....

Brian
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Any news on if the parents got locked up for naming their kid "Skylar"???
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The court made it so easy to take the plea that even if they were innocent it was not worth the fight.

I am susprised at the age of the two, from thier behavior I would have guessed that they were much younger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top