Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 4:51:10 PM EDT
I went to see the movie, I kinda like Zombie movies so I thought it would be fun.  In a country of sheeple with no weapons to speak of, a zombie inducing virus runs amuck because the sheeple have no way to fend off the zombies.  After just 28 days, their country devolved into the dark ages, it seems everyone smart enough to signal for help was killed the first day.  Everyone with sense to feed themselves and stay off the street, was out of the country on vacation when this hit.

Most English have no use for firearms, deodorant or toothbrushs.  Without weapons for self-defense they are at the mercy of criminals, the government and sadly,,,,,,,the zombies.  Without grooming products they starting looking pretty gamey in a week. Luckily for us,,zombies would be a new hunting season and sadly it would be too short.    
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, you need a gun for these infected not dead yet zombies.  You don't need head shots to take them down, just good lethal hits.

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
oh hell, name me one major movie made in the last 20 years that featured realism???

i mean shit, its ALWAYS some predator cornering his prey and doing so as slow as humanly possible, yet none EVER have a gun!!!!!!!!!!
let 95% of any movie bad guys come and try that shit with me, i've got a .45 waiting .
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
oh hell, name me one major movie made in the last 20 years that featured realism???

i mean shit, its ALWAYS some predator cornering his prey and doing so as slow as humanly possible, yet none EVER have a gun!!!!!!!!!!
let 95% of any movie bad guys come and try that shit with me, i've got a .45 waiting .
View Quote

When the main characters have firearms, it no longer is a horror movie, but an action film.

Think Tremors or Dogsoldiers. Were they really scary? lots of shoot-em up action though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
> Think Tremors or Dogsoldiers. Were they
> really scary? lots of shoot-em up action
> though.

Cmon, you didnt jump when the cow arrived?

Pshaw!

Also:
> Most English have no use for firearms,
> deodorant or toothbrushs.

Boo!
1. Its British, please :)
2. .gov.uk allows me town own two of the above, and I do use them, honest!

An entertaining film though, once the headache from the DV subsides in the first five minutes.

So, whats the best defensive ammo for _fast_ zombies? Anybody else think that mines splattering their blood all over the place is a bad idea?

/Phil
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
In a country without many guns, I have no problem accepting that few people would have them. What I DID have a problem with was:

In a country filled with bloodborne plague-infected, blood-hwarphing zombies that you have to usually rassle with to kill, why aren't you wearing some fucking goggles?

Puh-leez. I'd have my head wrapped up 24-7, and probably be wearing some nice thick bite-resistant clothes when I went out.

That, and a shield I made from a stopsign, a club, and maybe some street-sign body armor ala Mad Max.

When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, I'll be glad to be a gun-totin' SCA/Gaming geek.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Realistically, we would have nuked England to contain the infection.

The military camp was using mines so close to their gun emplacements the soldiers would have gotten infected from the spray.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Saw it this weekend.  Wasn't "Scary as hell!", but I stilled enjoyed it.  (Loved the scene in the tunnel!)

What I didn't get, if you're 'infected' with pure rage, wouldn't you attack the other infected people as well?  Other than being a republican, what kind of a virus would lead to massive group-think like that?

But for me the worst thing was the ending:  Zombie movies, GREAT zombie movies, do not have happy endings.  Sure, there may be a glimmer of hope that the hero may survive a few more days, but thats it.

That, and the fact that the antagonists didn't crave human flesh leads me to say that 28 Days Later is indeed NOT a zombie movie.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
There were plenty of opporunities for female nude scenes...but no the Brits got a thing for men
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I 'foregot' about the opening scene with the schlong  - there was a nude infectee chick near the end tho -
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But for me the worst thing was the ending:  Zombie movies, GREAT zombie movies, do not have happy endings.  
View Quote

Who says it was a happy ending?

If the rest of the world was intact, there would have been a lot more than 2 jets flying.

I'm betting most of the world was wiped out, and the jet was from someplace like Iceland, doing some recon on the original outbreak location to see the progression of the disease.

And yes, why didn't the infected attack each other?

Why weren't the road clogged with cars?

Did everyone in the church suicide together?

They should have shown the airport scene where so many got trampled.

Somebody would have nuked them to stop the spread.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked the movie and it was encouraging to know the 5.56mm would be effective against zombies.

The movie was a lot more scarier for me. I am still so spooked from seeing it tonight that I am loading up .223 stripper clips right now.

Spoiler warning below

(BTW, I would have given up the girls,
and ended the Major's experiment)  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I sat here last night a watched it on my PC. Liked it. I could have used some more scenes of Zombies getting killed, but all in all pretty much what I expected, nothing really great, but a solid Zombie flick.

CH
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I kind of liked that it had a semi-happy ending.  Nobody got saved but the zombies did all start to die.  That leave a whole set of problems with the virus and the bio-hazard corpses all over the place.

I'm not sure why those soldiers were "going to eat the guns" or in such desperate state that they needed to kidnap and rape women in just 4 weeks.  I'd learn to cook a little better and enjoy the daily zombie blasting.

As far as a good zombie ammo, for fast moving enraged zombies.  I'm think Federal frangable or varmit type rounds in a .223.  Shotguns with slugs and #4 buck and Glaser safety slugs for the handgun.  If you have lots of ball ammo, just bring a lot of spare mags and enjoy.

I'd sure as hell wear my rain gear and gas mask and find some bite protection or a riot shield also.  Then go blast the zombies to hell.

I'm joking about the toothbrush anyway,,I saw Austin Powers.  Elizabeth Hurley said all that 60's dental stuff has been fixed, remember?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There were plenty of opporunities for female nude scenes...but no the Brits got a thing for men
View Quote

So it's a chick flick then?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Needed more gore.  I think I saw more in Saving Private Ryan.
The soldiers wore goggles and head gear when they first came in contact with the others but when they went to off the Sgt. and the other guy they diddnt wear anything.
The scene where the guy was day dreaming in the kitchen and the zombie jumped through the window gave me a good scare.
As far as having firearms making this an action movie, I don't agree.  Dawn of the Dead showed more firearms than this movie.
I gotta agree, if this actually happened I think we would have nuked England.  
While watching the movie I diddnt believe New York was infected.  The people once infected go crazy in like seconds. How could a plane or ship get to the U.S. with a crazed zombie(s) aboard?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top