Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2013 8:18:18 PM EDT
First flight27 July 1972

https://www.facebook.com/RealAirPower

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=278373825633825&set=a.225169034287638.1073741828.225040454300496&type=1&theater

USAF Serial: 71-280
McDonnell Douglas F-15A-1-MC Eagle
First flight: July 27, 1972

Objectives: Open the flight envelope, explore handling qualities, check out external stores carriage.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#1]
As much as I like the F-15, and the F-16 as well,  I personally am not entirely comfortable with the idea of a fighter that

has been operational (in any sense) for 30, even 40 years.  

Or even 20 years, for that matter.

Back in the 50s and 60s, during the major developmental period of the jet engine and supersonic aircraft,

it seemed that we had a new fighter design coming out every month or so.    Clearly there's no need for that

kind of thing to happen these days,  but I think a new fighter every 30 years or so is a bit TOO slow of a replacement program.

That's a lot of years for an enemy to come up with something better.

But it all comes down to two things:  Politics and money.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As much as I like the F-15, and the F-16 as well,  I personally am not entirely comfortable with the idea of a fighter that
has been operational (in any sense) for 30, even 40 years.  

Or even 20 years, for that matter.

Back in the 50s and 60s, during the major developmental period of the jet engine and supersonic aircraft,
it seemed that we had a new fighter design coming out every month or so.    Clearly there's no need for that
kind of thing to happen these days,  but I think a new fighter every 30 years or so is a bit TOO slow of a replacement program.

That's a lot of years for an enemy to come up with something better.

But it all comes down to two things:  Politics and money.

CJ
View Quote

There really hasn't been any major technological leaps in aviation in the last 40 years.  We now have low observable technology but that's still a relatively young technology. We have better electronics and computers but that is something which is continually evolving so you can't design a new aircraft around that. We have more efficient engines but that too is always changing and engines can be fitted to older designs.

I guess that the question you have to ask about any new design is " What does this plane do that the current one cannot?" And " Is it enough of an improvement to warrant replacing the current design?"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top