Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:45:57 AM EST
Need to get a new TV for my aunt. Don't need fancy features, just simple to operate.

Recommendations? Any to avoid?

(so far I went to Sam's Club & Sears and looked at Toshiba, Vizio, Sony, Samsung and

Models at Sams:

26" Vizio LCD 720p HDTV #387168
Model: VA26L
1366 x 768
2,400:1 contrast
Frame Rate: 60H Instore / Delivery: $328.00 (cheapest I found so far)

26" Toshiba LCD 720p HDTV #332950
Model: 26AV52U
1280 x 720
Frame Rate: 60Hz
Instore / Delivery: $398.00 (Picture seemed a little nicer than the Vizio)

there was also a combined TV / DVD player (26") and I forgot the mfg (Hitachi maybe?) for about $400

Sears had a SOny for $500, a Samsung for $450 and the same Vizio for $350

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:59:34 AM EST
I don't have much experience with any in that size range, but I have noticed that the Samsungs definitely look the best. Samsung also has the best stretching alrogithm –– most other TVs make it completely obvious when you're stretching a 4:3 show up to widescreen, but Samsung does a great job of it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 2:31:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/13/2009 2:32:05 PM EST by brentwal]
go with the samsung
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:35:32 PM EST
I too would like to hear suggestions on this. We're looking to get one in our bedroom that size. I was thinking a Samsung would be the best bet. I've had nothing but Samsung computer monitors and have been very pleased for years with the quality. Does that quality flow over into their TVs?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:57:41 PM EST
I'm in for samsung, their picture is awesome.

My grams is crazy and still works, at walmart, we were looking at
getting a vizio, she told most of the returns of the flat panel tv was
the vizio. whether true or not, I can't call my grams a liar.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 11:26:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By Merrell:
(Picture seemed a little nicer than the Vizio)
You can't judge picture quality in a store. Those TV's were pulled out of the box and put up for display by hourly workers that no very little about how to connect everything. Almost all current TV's can be made to have a great picture with proper calibration. Avia and Video Essentials DVD's should be a requirement in every household. They cost between $20 and $50 but last a lifetime. You wouldn't buy a sports car and not get a tune-up on it.

Originally Posted By phurba:
I don't have much experience with any in that size range, but I have noticed that the Samsungs definitely look the best. Samsung also has the best stretching alrogithm –– most other TVs make it completely obvious when you're stretching a 4:3 show up to widescreen, but Samsung does a great job of it.
Why would you want to stretch a 4x3 show in the first place?

Originally Posted By d-ride:
I'm in for samsung, their picture is awesome.

My grams is crazy and still works, at walmart, we were looking at
getting a vizio, she told most of the returns of the flat panel tv was
the vizio. whether true or not, I can't call my grams a liar.
See my picture comment above. As for Vizio having more returns, I bet Wal-Mart sells more Vizio TV's than all others combined. I've looked at the Vizio threads at AVS Forums and there seems to be no more returns than any other brand. Same as here, you can find someone that had a horrible experience with a manufacturer and will do their best to bad-mouth them every chance they get. Like most electronics if you can make it through the first couple of weeks you are pretty much guaranteed to have a good piece of equipment. At least W-M has a great return policy.

-Robert
Top Top