Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2009 3:54:33 AM EDT
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/elderly-victim-shoots-would-be-robber-24-police-say-307806.html
DAYTON — A 24-year-old man who allegedly got out of his car and tried to rob an elderly man at gunpoint was shot by the would-be victim, who was licensed to carry a concealed weapon and fired to defend himself, police said.

The younger man was shot twice on Saturday, Sept. 19, and was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where he was under guard, Dayton police Sgt. Damon Castor said. The gunshot injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, Castor said.

“Apparently he was trying to rob the older gentleman of something,” Castor said of the younger man. “He picked on the wrong person.”

The would-be victim, in his 70s, was not injured, Castor said. The confrontation took place at West Third Street and Brooklyn Avenue in west Dayton, police said.

It was not clear whether the alleged attacker was trying to steal the older man’s car or money, Castor said.

No charges had been filed Saturday. Police are investigating.

UPDATE- Apparently the victim shot the suspect at least 3 times, landing hits to the suspect's chest. He used a .40 Beretta.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/elderly-victim-shoots-would-be-robber-24-police-say-307806.html

DAYTON — A 24-year-old man who allegedly got out of his car and tried to rob an elderly man at gunpoint was shot by the would-be victim, who was licensed to carry a concealed weapon and fired to defend himself, police said.

The younger man was shot twice on Saturday, Sept. 19, and was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where he was under guard, Dayton police Sgt. Damon Castor said. The gunshot injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, Castor said.

“Apparently he was trying to rob the older gentleman of something,” Castor said of the younger man. “He picked on the wrong person.”

The would-be victim, in his 70s, was not injured, Castor said. The confrontation took place at West Third Street and Brooklyn Avenue in west Dayton, police said.

It was not clear whether the alleged attacker was trying to steal the older man’s car or money, Castor said.

No charges had been filed Saturday. Police are investigating.

Good shoot IMO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

The gunshot injuries were not believed to be life-threatening
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
BOOOOOOOOOOOO !  The dirtbag lived
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
"allegedly" my ass.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Damned good shoot.

Lets hope AK's and AR's are not the new trend for these shitbag's weapons of choice.

We really need to much tougher on criminals theses days.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

He took on someone with a carbine and won. He got off two shots that disabled the attacker. BG went down without firing a shot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Were you goofing on the media's tendency to call anything from a Lorcin to a Barrett an "AK," or was one actually used in the robbery?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

He took on someone with a carbine and won. He got off two shots that disabled the attacker. BG went down without firing a shot.

True, but it would have been much better if the jackass didnt live...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Were you goofing on the media's tendency to call anything from a Lorcin to a Barrett an "AK," or was one actually used in the robbery?

The media doesn't make mention of it, but the suspect did use an AK.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

Shoulda killed him
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

Shoulda killed him

Its that kind of behavior that turns a good shoot into prison time.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

The criminal lived, still the victim lived protecting his life, and property.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Its that kind of behavior that turns a good shoot into prison time.

How so ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#16]
All comes down to what Wyatt Earp called "determination".   Speed does not win gunfights, but determination does.  Robber was using the AK more as a prop to get what he wanted.  Would be victim used his pistol to protect his life.  More motivation and more determination.  When the victim did not act as expected, the robber had no quick answer for the situation he found himself in.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr Pulaski FTMFW!!!! Go Gramps!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Good Shoot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#19]
That's the trouble with the paramedics.  They take these dirtbags to the hospital to be saved.  He should have been left there to bleed out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's the trouble with the paramedics.  They take these dirtbags to the hospital to be saved.  He should have been left there to bleed out.

I agree, they should have taken much time and care to make sure the older gentleman was OK and checked all his vitals several times.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#21]

I can't believe it took this long.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Agillig, you are an LEO, right?

What kind of handgun did the defender use?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#24]
How, exactly, do we know it was an AK?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, that takes some balls to take on a person with a semi-auto rifle with a handgun. Good shoot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#26]
When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk.

It looks like one of those two people was prepared to use his firearm, and the other one wasn't.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#27]
A solid piece of work!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I love hearing of older folks able to defend them selves from the thugs out there.

My mom is in her mid 70s, is in great health and physical condition (never guess she was in her 70s)About 10 years ago she stopped a guy from snatching her purse by pulling back on the purse and punching him in the face with her keys between her fingers. I have tried to get her to get her CCH but have had no luck so far. She is more worried about some one coming in the house on her. Took her out and taught her to load and shoot my SLR106FR and she really took to it. Left it with her with six 30 rnd mags full of 75Gr TAP. If they can get past the reinforced door and frame and dead bolt, they got a world of shit waiting for them on the other side.

AK-So easy, even a caveman Old Lady can use it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Wow, that takes some balls to take on a person with a semi-auto rifle with a handgun. Good shoot.

"You are only 'outgunned' if you miss."  Jeff Cooper

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#30]

This link just says it was an "assault rifle"

http://www.whiotv.com/news/21012459/detail.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#31]
i hope he blew his balls off so that POS will never breed
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Damned good shoot.

Lets hope AK's and AR's are not the new trend for these shitbag's weapons of choice.

We really need to much tougher on criminals theses days.

(Cue media weapons recognition chart)

Probably a mini-14 or an SKS...

Wood stock + not a bolt action = AK to most reporters....

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Old man probably used a .45  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That's the trouble with the paramedics. They take these dirtbags to the hospital to be saved. He should have been left there to bleed out.

He was picked up by his brother who "just happened to be 1 block over".
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

.40SW Beretta.  Scored some pretty good hits too.  I guess you could say this proves how anemic the .40 is, but I think it just proves that "stopping power" is a myth, especially in handguns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Do I seriously have to draw you guys a picture?

Ok, I'll cut the sarcasm.  I KNOW for a fact it was an AK, I know where the guy got shot, and I know what gun the victim used.  I'm not the old man in the story, or the guy who got shot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That's the trouble with the paramedics. They take these dirtbags to the hospital to be saved. He should have been left there to bleed out.

He was picked up by his brother who "just happened to be 1 block over".
What a lucky coincidence, huh?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.40SW Beretta.  Scored some pretty good hits too.  I guess you could say this proves how anemic the .40 is, but I think it just proves that "stopping power" is a myth, especially in handguns.

Yep...

In situations not involving a shot-timer & steel plates, you cannot count on a supposed '1 hit wonder' round...

Nor can you expect to make the perfect shot placement on the first shot...

More holes is better...

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Probably used an SKS with one of those crappy 30-round mags.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'll cut the sarcasm. I KNOW for a fact it was an AK, I know where the guy got shot, and I know what gun the victim used. I'm not the old man in the story, or the guy who got shot.

Yeah, I pretty much had that figured out pretty quick. Correct me if I am wrong, but seeing as you seem to have first hand knowledge of this event and are neither the shooter nor the shootie, I will go with responding officer for 100 Alex.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'll cut the sarcasm.  I KNOW for a fact it was an AK, I know where the guy got shot, and I know what gun the victim used.  I'm not the old man in the story, or the guy who got shot.

Hopefully your boot print is on the thugs throat too

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good shoot IMO.

I disagree

This.  The victim needed more training.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'll cut the sarcasm. I KNOW for a fact it was an AK, I know where the guy got shot, and I know what gun the victim used. I'm not the old man in the story, or the guy who got shot.

Yeah, I pretty much had that figured out pretty quick. Correct me if I am wrong, but seeing as you seem to have first hand knowledge of this event and are neither the shooter nor the shootie, I will go with responding officer for 100 Alex.

At least in the dept., and probably on duty at the time.

The DDN would definitely say it was an AK was involved if this wasn't a self-defense incident with a CCW holder being the victim.  I don't normally get into "omg the media are liberal" but that's just absurd.

Under Ohio's castle doctrine, the victim should be immune from criminal or civil proceedings.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on whether the older gentleman was using something like WWB or something in the HST class.

(same would apply for anything from 9 to 45)
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to respectfully disagree due to the terms being used. The BG was 'stopped' from causing harm/injury/death to the older gentlemen. The handgun bullet was not 'lethal' enough to cause the demise of the goblin.

The splitting of semantic hairs here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Keep shooting until the threat stops. Reload and repeat as necessary.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The older you get, the more you may understand.......

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The older you get, the more you may understand.......

Yep. Some old folks know that there are worse things to lose than your life, like dignity.  I really don't think the thug in this case even considered the possibility that the old man would resist.  The look on his face would have been priceless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top