Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 2:14:17 PM EDT
Well, here's the deal. My buddy challenged me to do a 24 hour race which is July 24th. I have run 1 marathon, and planned to do another at the end of this year, but nothing ever over 26.2 miles. I figured what the hell and signed up, you only live once right?

I figured if I'm gonna do this on a 5 1/2 week notice then this would be a good time to set up a donation fund to a charity of ARFcoms choice(I will set up a poll if this thread actually kicks off as to which charity). The course is a 3.16 mile loop(just over a 5k) and goes for 24 hours or until you collapse. I could do something to the effect of per loop or per mile that is completed, haven't really thought it out yet.

What do you guys think? Is this something that I should consider doing or stay out of it? I've never ran for anything but my personal pleasure, so I'm really not sure how much of a hassle this is. Opinions are welcome, but try not to flame
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Running a 5k loop for 24 hours? That should be fun. Don't they have one of those things hamsters run on?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's the website http://home.att.net/~lakerun/

28 people signed up for the solo 24 hours so far

A lot of the 24 hour things are done on 1 mile tracks or sometimes even smaller
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What charity are you donating your proceeds to?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured I'd leave that up to a poll.

My initial thought was to a YMCA or some sort of youth organization that promotes fitness to the next generation. There is an elementary school by me and it's really terrible seeing a 9 year old kid weighing as much as I do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say, find a range, shooting, and/or hunting club and see if they have a youth shooting program.  If so, I think that would be the charity to give to.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it. Now how should I go about this? Any recommendations?

Also making poll now.

I'll give the poll a few days. After it's over we can decide on who to go with specifically and they will be contacted. Hell, I will even give them the link to the thread if it kicks off, any good publicity to gun owners is another bonus
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
bump for the night crew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top