Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 5:57:30 AM EDT
My generator has four contacts with one that has an outey. I've seen generators that have a similar 240 outlet with a tab that's an inny.

What gives and which is the newest one?

Thanks
M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#1]
There's lots of AC outlet types for both 120v and 240v, here's a guide, although the NEMA site should have the actual standards doc.

Third Party Guide

NEMA site
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
All of those were inny's. On the Nema site, I couldn't find the link for outlets.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
So you can use an extension cord to plug it into the wall instead of needing a special cable? (of course, if you do this be sure to shut off the main feed so you dont zap the power guy working three houses down)

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So you can use an extension cord to plug it into the wall instead of needing a special cable? (of course, if you do this be sure to shut off the main feed so you dont zap the power guy working three houses down)

Kharn

What is the purpose of the 240 line anyway? Will any plug work, but not twist lock?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My generator has four contacts with one that has an outey. I've seen generators that have a similar 240 outlet with a tab that's an inny.

Thanks
M4-AK

Does the outlet have a label on it?  Look closely, it should be labeled.. that would help a lot.  

Did you buy this generator used? It sounds like is has part of a plug stuck in one of the outlets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

What is the purpose of the 240 line anyway? Will any plug work, but not twist lock?

M4-AK

You'll have to make a special extension cord to use with the 250v outlet.  I can tell you what you need if you can find the name of the plug type.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Kharn

That's dangerous as well as illegal to do. Do it correctly and have an approved generator transfer switch wired into your electrical system.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

That's dangerous as well as illegal to do. Do it correctly and have an approved generator transfer switch wired into your electrical system.

Yep.  They even have pre-wired transfer boxes that almost anyone could install.  Very easy and the only really safe way to do it.  

I actually just finished wiring a transfer box to my panel.  The hardest part was mounting it on my brick-exterior wall.  2 hours and I was done.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks
M4-AK

When you say outey, do you mean it looks like a plug end with blades sticking out energized at 240V?  

Do you suppose the manual might have a description of what that feature is and how it is meant to be used?   Maybe?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The bottom of jack has an outey. I think it's some kind of twist lock connector. Why they make them non standard is a big question. It's a 6250 coleman brand new with a 10hp BS.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this what the power panel looks like? I'm having a real hard time that it came with an exposed 220v outlet. Are you sure it's not some kind of gender changer adapter?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The bottom of jack has an outey. I think it's some kind of twist lock connector. Why they make them non standard is a big question. It's a 6250 coleman brand new with a 10hp BS.

M4-AK

Ok, I understand you now.  Yes, that is just a twist-lock connector.  It looks like the Coleman 6250 has a L14-20 connector.  The reason generators have twist-lock connectors is to keep the plug from vibrating loose.  

What do you mean by non-standard?  That is the standard 20amp plug on generator equipment.  You can find a transfer switch with the same connector, except that it will be male.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
The difference is the amp rating between the different plugs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I still don't know WTF an outey is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Ok, I understand you now.  Yes, that is just a twist-lock connector.  It looks like the Coleman 6250 has a L14-20 connector.  The reason generators have twist-lock connectors is to keep the plug from vibrating loose.  

What do you mean by non-standard?  That is the standard 20amp plug on generator equipment.  You can find a transfer switch with the same connector, except that it will be male.  

I've seen some with the lower slot that tabs upward instead of downward.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

M4-AK

It was probably a 30amp plug then.  L14-30 tabs inward.  L14-20 tabs outward.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

M4-AK

It was probably a 30amp plug then.  L14-30 tabs inward.  L14-20 tabs outward.

Thanks, that solves it.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#18]
It's there so you can run your hot tub during a SHTF situtation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's there so you can run your hot tub during a SHTF situtation.

No No No it's there so you can run your microwave twice as fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top