Posted: 3/5/2015 8:18:18 AM EDT
238 Members Sign Letter Opposing Proposed Ban on AR-15 Ammunition
View Related Articles
Fairfax, Va. – In an overwhelming show of bipartisan opposition, 238 Members of the U.S. House of Representatives have signed a letter to the director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, opposing the Obama Administration’s attempt to ban commonly used ammunition for the most popular rifle in America, the AR-15. The National Rifle Association worked closely with House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) to gather signatures on this critical effort.
“This letter sends a clear message to President Obama that Congress opposes his attempt to use his pen and phone to thwart the will of the American people,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “Obama said he would enact his gun control agenda ‘with or without Congress.’ He is now trying to make good on that promise. The NRA would like to thank Chairman Goodlatte and all who signed the letter for opposing this unconstitutional attack on our Second Amendment freedom.”
The NRA is working with Senator Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) on a similar letter of opposition from the U.S. Senate.
To view the letter, along with the Member signatures, click HERE
To view recent op-ed in the Daily Caller by Chris Cox on the proposed ammunition ban, click HERE
Read more at: NRA-ILA
Call, write, email and visit the local office of your federally elected representative to ensure that they sign on to this letter.......
Working together....we will prevail!
If your Representative isn't on the list....you know what to do!
Call, write, email and visit their local office.....and respectfully voice your opinion!
My rep has signed as well. Thanks to Mr. Yoder! Will be sending him a note of appreciation.
My rep is not.
Sent him this email and will be mailing it to his DC office.
• • • • •
I voted for you in the last two elections but I have been very disappointed to see that you have not yet signed onto Representative Goodlatte's letter of opposition to the ATF's proposed ban on M855 ammunition. This is a critical issue not just to sportsmen and recreational shooters but to the foundation of our freedom and ultimately the Bill of Rights.
The ATF ban, which seeks to ban M855 ammunition and the SS109 bullet, is egregious in it's many errors, the greatest of which being,
1. M855/SS109 ammunition does not even meet the definition of "armor piercing" in the law cited by ATF,
2. It removes the largest free market response to the demand for lead-free ammunition,
3. It sets a dangerous precedent for the unilateral banning by unelected officials of common items without recourse by the people,
4. It has been declared by groups such as FOP to be completely unrelated to officer safety,
5. There are no known instances of such a round being used against officers in the perpetration of a crime,
6. Given the fact that most rifle ammunition is capable of penetrating body armor simply by nature of it's velocity, this ruling paves the way for the banning of most if not all of the commonly used ammunition in this country,
7. And last but not least, it is clearly a backdoor attempt by the President and his Administration to circumvent you and the Senate in another attempt to disarm the population of this country.
Given the above facts, I strongly urge you to sign Rep. Bob Goodlatte's letter to the ATF and do all in your power to ensure that this ban is not carried through, and if it is, that it is swiftly and decisively reversed.
Thank you for your service to our district.
Keep the pressure on....Although the great folks at NSSF have requested an extension of the "public comment" period for an additional 60 days, it appears at this point
that it will not be acted upon so the original end date is March 16, 2015. Please make sure if you intend to comment......make it count and send it forth today!
Let's concentrate also on adding more Congressional House Members to the growing number who have signed on to Rep. Goodlatte's letter. The Seante should be following suit later this week under the leadership of Senator Grassley.
Our advocacy is making a difference!