Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 6:02:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:04:45 AM EDT

Pena told the board he had a stroke in 2005 that occasionally left him "unfocused."

That is scary...

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:11:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Silence:

Pena told the board he had a stroke in 2005 that occasionally left him "unfocused."

That is scary...

Yeah, A little bit.

-K

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:12:56 AM EDT

Then what the hell is he still doing on patrol?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:14:15 AM EDT
While the stroke comment is concerning... I'd have a hard time firing someone over a bag of chips. I know the whole "held to a higher standard" jazz, but I just couldn't see myself canning the guy over it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:14:50 AM EDT
If he's not "focused" at times... he is not fit for duty.  End of story.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:18:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LtDirector:
While the stroke comment is concerning... I'd have a hard time firing someone over a bag of chips. I know the whole "held to a higher standard" jazz, but I just couldn't see myself canning the guy over it.

Theft is theft.

One cent, one dollar or 100,00 dollars. Still the same thing.

Av.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:18:52 AM EDT

At what dollar amount should a LEO be fired for theft?  $5, $10, $20, $100?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:19:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Max_Power:

I think the dollar amount should be similar to any other profession. I can tell you where I worked, if an employee stole a bag of chips, and was a 22 year veteran, they would not be shown the door.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:21:36 AM EDT
Chicago thug corrupt cops, walking into stores and taking what they want. Sure, it was only one bag of trail mix, but there were other complaints. Plus God knows how many times it wasn't reported, when his "Respect My Authority!" intimidation worked.

I don't have any problem with places giving cops freebies. There's a fine line, though. Think of the times we hear about celebrities who walk out on restaurant bills. They get comp'd enough that they are sometimes genuinely surprised when they're expected to *gasp* PAY for shit.

Shoplifting is shoplifting. I have zero doubt that this dude would have blinked about arresting/citing you for shoplifting if you walked out of that same store.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:22:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

The city's attorney, however, alluded to two prior incidents at the same Walgreens in which Pena allegedly walked out without paying for merchandise. But Pena was not charged in any other incident, and the board wouldn't allow testimony on them.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:22:25 AM EDT
Morals- meens the same thing at $1000 as it does at $1

I would not want someone like that in my city as a police officer.

Yeah I know there are probobly alot in my city that are not perfect, but if they get cought

I hope they get the same punishment!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:22:30 AM EDT
It wasn't just 1 bag. The article clearly showed past issues with the guy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:23:05 AM EDT

There were other things to this I'm sure.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:23:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:24:14 AM EDT by LtDirector]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Chicago thug corrupt cops, walking into stores and taking what they want. Sure, it was only one bag of trail mix, but there were other complaints. Plus God knows how many times it wasn't reported, when his "Respect My Authority!" intimidation worked.

I don't have any problem with places giving cops freebies. There's a fine line, though. Think of the times we hear about celebrities who walk out on restaurant bills. They get comp'd enough that they are sometimes genuinely surprised when they're expected to *gasp* PAY for shit.

Shoplifting is shoplifting. I have zero doubt that this dude would have blinked about arresting/citing you for shoplifting if you walked out of that same store.

I'm not saying the officer shouldn't have been fired. But if the officer wasn't charged in the other incidents, then the bag of chips was what the fired him for. (officially. I'm sure there's more.)
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:23:43 AM EDT

I think the dollar amount should be similar to any other profession. I can tell you where I worked, if an employee stole a bag of chips, and was a 22 year veteran, they would not be shown the door.

What if their job description was to arrest people who stole bags of chips?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:24:48 AM EDT
Oh, look, Chicago's finest.  The only ones 'professional enough' in Chicago to possess handguns.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:27:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

What if their job description was to arrest people who stole bags of chips?

Considering the other issues, I'm sure the officer should be fired. What I said was, I would never fire anyone for stealing a bag of chips. That being said, obviously the article alludes to several other issues.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:29:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:29:29 AM EDT by The_Macallan]
Originally Posted By Avalon01:

Theft is theft.

Av.

Except when it's called income tax.

Then it's "patriotism".

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:30:02 AM EDT
He was fired for "Theft"...not a $1 bag of trail mix.

If there is one thing that I can't abide, it's a dirty cop.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:35:39 AM EDT
Rules is rules.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:36:23 AM EDT

Why is that something to be proud of?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:37:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rmstrjim:

Why is that something to be proud of?

Because if someone who worked for me for 22 years says they didn't mean to do it, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously it's different in this case with the other complaints.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:39:33 AM EDT
He wasn't fired over a bag of chips. He was fired for theft.

The bag of chips is immaterial.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:47:06 AM EDT by cobrasks]
Question :
If this situation had happened to someone that was not a policeman ,
would the excuse matter ?

If any customer had purchased two of something and walked out the door with 3 of
that item would the police or the store have had any mercy on them ?

The real answer to both of these questions is no .
A regular person would have a criminal history for the rest of their lives over a pack
of freaking gum .

Why should it be different for the LEO ?

I'm not being down on LEOs about this ,I'm just saying if they don't give
leeway and are happy to destroy the lives of  others in the same situation,why should they get a break ?

If the stroke part is proven true ,perhaps he can get out of it for that reason and
get some type of desk job or more appropriate position .
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:50:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:55:15 AM EDT
I've been a cop for 24 years,

He's a thief,

There are a million opportunities in this business for that kind of corruption.  And a million reasons to not tolerate any of it.  In my experience, a man who steals something small, will also steal something big, if he thinks he can get away with it.  Police work requires a certain level of trusworthiness.  

Kick+curb, no sympathy for thieves.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:55:47 AM EDT
I'm shocked that Chicago would fire a Cop over it....

They MUST be working on a new image...

Semper Fi
Ed
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:56:58 AM EDT
That wasn't his first time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:04:09 AM EDT
Police officers; what can we say about the police.  The police do a hard fucking shit job that is the worst job in a city or county.  Police get spit at pissed on and killed by Assholes.

The very bane of a police officer is a corrupt police officer.  Nothing turns a community against police like a corrupt cop.

The corrupt fucks ruin the image of good police.  Police officers should weed out the corrupt fucks.  It is police corruption that has turned the community against police officers.

There is no Nobel a position is civilian life than an honor able police officer.  The thin blue line should be every good cops ultimate bane.

When a police officer is a good guy he is a real hero. When a cop acts like a criminal there is no greater injustice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:20:15 AM EDT
Uh, just to throw this in.......there have been times that I've been doing stuff on duty (in a store or such) and my radio went off and I started to answer or respond and completely forgot what I was doing.

Not saying this is what happened to this guy.....good chance he is just a thief.....but the whole "my radio" thing does happen.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:23:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cobrasks:
Question :
If this situation had happened to someone that was not a policeman ,
would the excuse matter ?

If any customer had purchased two of something and walked out the door with 3 of
that item would the police or the store have had any mercy on them ?

The real answer to both of these questions is no .
A regular person would have a criminal history for the rest of their lives over a pack
of freaking gum .

Why should it be different for the LEO ?

I'm not being down on LEOs about this ,I'm just saying if they don't give
leeway and are happy to destroy the lives of  others in the same situation,why should they get a break ?

If the stroke part is proven true ,perhaps he can get out of it for that reason and
get some type of desk job or more appropriate position .

In reality, at most places....there would be no arrest for most people.  There would just be a trespass warning given.   Some stores have changed their policy in recent years because theft has gotten out of hand but many have a certain dollar figure that if it's under that and the person has no priors they just issue a trespass warning.

So no, there is a good chance that "joe sixpack" would not be arrested.  Not sticken up for this guy, but you asked a question and I gave you the legit answer.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:25:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 7:31:50 AM EDT by CITADELGRAD87]

Nope.   I have a hard time believing this idiot would jeopardize his career over a bag of chips.  It's on him, not me. Stealing is stealing.

ETA< I hate it when the headline screams flexible morality, as if if this guy stole a bag of money, go ahead and fire him, but if he sstole something like a bag of chips, he should get a pass.

The operative word is STEAL, and he did it.  Inquiry over.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:29:21 AM EDT
No one i know whould come to my house and take anything from me.

If they even took a dime on my table without asking for it I wouldnt allow them back into my life let alone my house.

Shit can the fucker.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:45:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 8:49:41 AM EDT by FLAJD11]
Originally Posted By leo6223:
Uh, just to throw this in.......there have been times that I've been doing stuff on duty (in a store or such) and my radio went off and I started to answer or respond and completely forgot what I was doing.

Not saying this is what happened to this guy.....good chance he is just a thief.....but the whole "my radio" thing does happen.

+1

The article says the guy was aquitted of the criminal charge of theft.  Anyone could have a momentary lapse of concentration that would lead to somehting like this.  I would hope any jury would give the benfit of the doubt to myself or any other person under these circumstances.  His employer should have done the same.

ETA:  If this guy was so corrupt, why did he pay for the first two bags in the first place?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:49:05 AM EDT

Theft is theft.

Av.

Yup
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:58:35 AM EDT
All due respect and gratitude for his service to his community.....

If he is using a stroke and the resulting "lack of focus" as an excuse  for not paying, perhaps he should not be in the field handling calls by himself.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:00:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 9:02:31 AM EDT by CollegeBoy]
As others have noted, if he is out of it because of his stroke, he shouldn't be on patrol. Taking the chips is just a sign of this, in my opinion.

ETA-
If he intentionally stole them, he should also be removed. So, good call all around.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:02:28 AM EDT
 see ya gumshoe!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:07:36 AM EDT

Theft is theft.

Av.

Thank you. Again ARFCOM is flip-flopping...if he hadnt been charged everybody in here would be screaming about it...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:16:05 AM EDT
all im going to say is that im sure by firing him they also took away his retirement in some way. If the guy's an old shit with heart problems and a dimming memory, then he should be forced into retirement.

If he's intentionally stealing shit, thats a different story.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:31:09 AM EDT
Any officer that is respected (not feared) by any community within the city of Chicago is is an officer that this city needs to keep.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:47:09 AM EDT
Sounds like he should have been medically retired in 2005.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:49:03 AM EDT
well i hope he makes it home safe and not hungry.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:12:41 AM EDT
Right or wrong, he will get his job back.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:29:11 AM EDT

+1

How many officers have left a restaurant with food on the table and w/o paying because of a emergency call for back-up/in-progress crime?  Usually the officer returns and pays the bill but it could be a while.....

There is a big difference between knowingly stealing a bag of trail mix and forgetting you had a 3rd bag - I've done something similar and I've also taken calls where Joe Citizen did something similar and the store LP nazi wanted to arrest the guy when it was a honest mistake.

Brian

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:35:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brian4wd:

+1

How many officers have left a restaurant with food on the table and w/o paying because of a emergency call for back-up/in-progress crime?  Usually the officer returns and pays the bill but it could be a while.....

There is a big difference between knowingly stealing a bag of trail mix and forgetting you had a 3rd bag - I've done something similar and I've also taken calls where Joe Citizen did something similar and the store LP nazi wanted to arrest the guy when it was a honest mistake.

Brian

WISDOM.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:35:07 AM EDT
I wouldn't rule it out as a mistake.

Chicago is the 2nd dirtiest dept in th US.  They have bigger fish to fry.
Top Top