Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2002 4:05:05 AM EDT
What's your opinion of these  Atchisson / Ciener .22 rimfire conversion kits??

I'm thinking of using one in my DCM AR for practice.

How accurate do they shoot??

Is the conversion process quick / easy???

Does they function consistently? Or do they jam alot???

Good idea, or bad???

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one of the Colt kits, so my experience might be a little different, but all of the kits operate on the same basic principle.

The conversion kit is a drop-in replacement for your bolt carrier, open the upper and lower, remove the bolt carrier and drop the conversion kit in, close and you are ready to rock.  The kit has a metal tube that goes into the chamber to adapt it to .22lr, and its straight blow-back, it doesnt need the recoil buffer or anything.  The biggest problem I have with the Colt kit is that the ejector is part of the left feed lip on the magazine, and that sucker is SHARP!  If you dont watch what you are doing, you could cut your thumb.

In all, its great fun, especially for little kids.  My GF's 9 year old cousin loves my 20" A2 on sandbags with the .22 kit installed (even though there is no way in hell he can get a cheek weld on the stock and still use the sights).

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Raf -

Good points.

I too was worried about my 1 in 8 twist barrel.

I do have access to some 60 gr 22 rimfire ammo, so I think I'd try that first.

But you raised another point I hadn't thought of.

Does .22 rimfire have a different diameter than .223??? Time to break out the micrometer tonite.

I haven't seen anyone (websites, etc) address that .

I did find a cool schematic tho -

[url]www.biggerhammer.net/patents/US04169329__.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't forget to measure [i]fired[/i] bullets, or slug the bbl.  Don't just measure unfired bullets.

Excuse me if I'm telling you what you already know.
View Quote

No, actually you are spurring some very good thinking in my knotted head. Obviously, you've done your homework.

Would this mean that the .22 rimfire bullet would be mashed to conform to the interior dimensions of the .223 barrel???

Do you think there is significant difference in the .223 barrel to significantly degrade accuracy? All I'm looking for is 33' to 75" feet of accuracy (my indoor and outdoor range)

Also, I wonder if a 1 in 8 twist barrel would disintegrate a 36 grain 22 rimfire. Supposedly too light a bullet weight in a fast barrel will spin the bullet apart.

thanks,

g

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used both the Atchisson conversion kit and the military/air force conversion kit that is out there and both of them functioned as expected. In regards to accuracy, I was actually surprised as I also found them both to be as accurate at normal .223 ammo, out to around 50yds, which is about as far as I actually shot either of them. I expected deteriorated accuracy because of the smaller bullet and the twist rate, but I didn't notice any.

Just make sure, that whatever kit you get has 30rd mags. 10rds just isn't enough to keep you from getting frustrated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top