Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/6/2006 11:22:52 AM EDT
My previous 20" mon. I think is done... starting to get shadows and ghost imaging. Any way anyone know of any decent monitors ? I do play games and such but I dont think I need anything crazy. And as for price I seen some for 300, and some for 2200 im looking around the 500 range as I would like a good decent quality. I have a Gateway comp {sux} and seen a Gateway for like 500. I did have this for about 6 years........[old monitor] is that decent lifespan?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated....
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 1:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2006 1:46:36 PM EDT by madman_kirk]
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 9:17:01 AM EDT
i bought this one. so far so good

samsung 204b
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 10:22:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2006 10:23:50 AM EDT by destaccado]

Originally Posted By cruze5:
i bought this one. so far so good

samsung 204b

asus makes a very sexy one.....if not a bit expensive......but sounds like it's around your pricerange being $540........

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824236007
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 10:23:49 AM EDT
too bad its not 5ms like the samsung
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 10:24:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2006 10:26:14 AM EDT by destaccado]

too bad ms means nothing due to no manufacturer's living up to their claims.......actual ms means something but not necessarily what the manufacturer states.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 10:28:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2006 10:58:11 AM EDT by destaccado]

and too bad the samsung isn't widescreen like the Asus......so you're comparing oranges to apples.........and samsung doesn't offer a widescreen 5ms monitor.......
Link Posted: 8/11/2006 8:31:42 PM EDT
I got me a nice refurbed 24 inch LCD from Dell. It works like a champ, as if it's a brand new one. It has multiple inputs, PIP & POP options, analog and digital, as well as multi-memory card reader.

Got it for about $550 compare to $1200 regular price.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 2:00:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By destaccado:

and too bad the samsung isn't widescreen like the Asus......so you're comparing oranges to apples.........and samsung doesn't offer a widescreen 5ms monitor.......

and too bad that Asus makes motherboards and should stick to only motherboards. Samsung is a WAY better monitor mfg period.

-d
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 2:13:01 PM EDT
I've had a Dell 2005FP for about a year now. I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 10:42:18 PM EDT
for games, viewsonic vx922. very fast, good bright display (too bright, sometimes), and about $260.

my only real complaint is the lack of resolution going from my old crt, but that just means i have an excuse to get a second monitor :)

if your budget is $500, you could easily get two.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2006 8:16:07 PM EDT by Duggan]
accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-4335

I've had it since it came out.

Save a little. Get one. Never look back.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:34:03 PM EDT
they're running a sale on the Dell's now.

It's soooo easy just to step up to the 24"

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:02:03 AM EDT
Do it.

You will thank me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:40:45 PM EDT
I have a pair of Viewsonic VX2025wm that I love.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:52:42 PM EDT
I have a NEC 90GX and its so colorful and bright, its almost painful.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:29:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:07:21 AM EDT
The thing I would recommend is making sure that the LCD has a DVI port on it. You may not be able to use it now, but when you upgrade your computer, it will come in handy going all digital to the LCD. Most have both VGA and DVI, but some of the cheaper ones only have VGA.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2006 11:08:45 AM EDT by destaccado]

Originally Posted By dizza:

and too bad that Asus makes motherboards and should stick to only motherboards. Samsung is a WAY better monitor mfg period.

-d

LOL, maybe Samsung should stick with mobile phones, printers, or better yet- refridgerators then...............all Taiwan/Korean electronics companies have their hands in every cookie jar..........as to your opinion that Samsung is WAY better- that depends on which models we're comparing- fit and finish wise, they're definately not........Asus makes damn good semiconductors and has established a reputation as industry-leading in their respective areas, something Samsung has yet to acheive......

LCD's - generally beat by LG but I've used enough Samsung to know they make a competitive product......
Fridge's- I don't think they're setting records here......
Cell Phones- Sanyo, Motorola
TV's- Hitachi, Pioneer
Printers- actually their budget lasers are great....
digital cameras- won't even get started here, they are consistantly lower quality for camera's then the majority of their main competition........(unless something has changed this year since I'm overseas and haven't researched/seen their new product)
etc etc........
of course- that's just all my opinion but your comment on Samsung being WAY better is off the mark and what I'm responding to.......

Samsung did just release a 6ms 20" Widescreen model that Newegg has for $300- a price like that would overcome any fit and finish advantage Asus has as long as the screen has decent color reproduction- we'll have to see.......
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001081
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:24:15 PM EDT

-d

<SNIP!>
of course- that's just all my opinion but your comment on Samsung being WAY better is off the mark and what I'm responding to.......

You do realize I said monitor mfg... not cell phone.. not fridge.. etc.

-d
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:51:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2006 9:15:34 PM EDT by destaccado]

-d

<SNIP!>

You do realize I said monitor mfg... not cell phone.. not fridge.. etc.

-d

What you said is "asus makes motherboards and should stick to only motherboards"....

My point about cell phones is a similiar comment could be made like:
"samsung makes cell phones and should stick to cell phones"......

or how bout:
"samsung makes appliances and should stick to appliances".......

You're entitled to your opinion that Samsung is way better for monitors- no doubt they have the longer track record for them......

However, I'm just pointing out that it's silly to try and support Samsung by cutting down Asus for dipping their pencil in alot of different ink when Samsung does the same thing.....

And yes, I realize the second part of your comment was about Samsung being a way better monitor manufacturer. But have you ever owned or even seen an Asus monitor to be able to make that comment? My guess is no since this is pretty much their first LCD monitor available in substantial quantity other then on their laptops...

-Do you know that Asus's monitor's casing (for this model) is brushed aluminum vs. Samsung's plastic?
-Do you know that Asus doesn't make their LCD panels in the first place?
-Do you know Asus guarantees Zero Bright Dots (stuck pixels) and Samsung doesn't?
-Do you know that LG is generally considered to be a higher-quality LCD manufacturer then Samsung hence the reason most third parties tend to buy from LG rather than from Samsung? (Dell, Apple HD Cinema, (and I'm pretty sure this Asus).......)

And lastly, do you know that if I was purchasing a monitor for myself right now I'd take the Samsung I linked over the Asus due to it's $250 price advantage? Ehhh actually the
Asus would go better with my lian-li desk so I'd have to get it for matching aluminum....
Reguardless, I've probably sold 200+ Samsung monitors in the past 4 years- they make a great product but I don't agree with what you said..........

Basically I'm just continuing my personal fight against fanboism here on AR15........it's like Communism- gotta stop it before it starts
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:12:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:37:49 AM EDT
If the Samsung 204b is anything like my 204t, it's probably a pretty good bet.

Difference between the two is the type of panel. The 204t is a SPVA panel; slightly lower contrast, slower response times, and a much heavier power draw, but better colour gamut. I like the 204t because of the 4:3 aspect ratio; if I got a widescreen monitor, I'd have to buy a new Wacom Tablet to go with it. You likely don't face this issue. If you watch a lot of DVDs on your computer, you might want to heavily consider a widescreen. Otherwise, nothing wrong with a standard aspect ratio. Most 19 inch monitors are 5:4, with a native res of 1280x1024. Good 20 inch monitors will require dual-link DVI, and have a native res of 1600x1200 (4:3) or 1680x1050 (16:9).

There are some monitors out there that are backlit by LEDs, which are used to produce different coloured light through the panel and thus produce a wider and truer colour gamut. These are in the several thousand dollar range, are thicker than your usual LCD. You don't need one of these; you probably wouldn't notice the smaller colour gamut that your average LCD has. These are probably the expensive monitors you are referring to (unless you're talking about the Wacom Cintiq monitors, which are not what you are looking for).

The above poster is correct in that you can not trust manufacturer listed response times. You often don't know what response time is being measured (BWB, Grey-to-Grey, etc) or the conditions it's being tested under. Best you can do is read the customer reviews and look for people like yourself, ask the ARFCOM hive mind, and/or try to find one that's been set up at a local retailer and get some hands on experience.

if you've got any technical questions, I can do my best to answer.
Top Top