Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2001 10:49:06 AM EDT
I don't know if I should got with the 20" or 16" AR-15. I'm going to use the gun for now just as a plinking gun doing no shooting longer then 300 yd and I don't think I will be able to use the 300 yd range that much do to the guy's that get to there range when it opens and shoot at the 100 yd mark all day. This gun will also serve as a defense rifle for my townhouse.

I like the 20" do to that I was told had better accuratee then the 16" and yet I was still told from a point the 16" and 20" where just as accurat. I'd like to find out how far that is. I also like to 20" do to the little extra weight on the front of the gun.

I like the 16" because it seems more friendly to move around in tight spots and it is lighter to carry. They also look kick ass when they have all dolled up.

I don't know what one to get if anyone can help it would be great thank.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy is not an issue. Velocity will be lower with a shorter bbl and there are prople on this board who can tell you exactly by how much. I prefer a shorter bbl for the same reason you have stated in that it is lighter and easy to maneuver. Handle both and decide youself.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
For shooting inside 300-400 yards, i'd go with a 16" barrel.  Handles better, lighter, works great for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For shooting inside 300-400 yards, i'd go with a 16" barrel.  Handles better, lighter, works great for me.
View Quote

I'd be lucky if I got to shoot out side 300 yd and I don't think I'd do any varmint shooting until a few years down the road by that time I will have the money for a 20" or 24" Varmint barrel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Tayous,

You anywhere near Chicago?  I have a 20" AR now you can try out if you wish and we can find a time/place to meet.

AFARR
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to this thread on the Tactics page...
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=39010&page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you are going to do a lot of competition shooting beyond 300 yards a 16 inch barrel will be sufficient.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
In my opinion, I'd get an upper in 7.62x39.  You can use your AR for deer hunting, rounds are cheaper than 223 and it's ideal for home defence
(won't go thur the bad guy and walls)
BTW I have an extra one
THanks
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top