Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2003 2:44:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just bought a nice 4x DVD burner and another monitor to go dual monitor from TigerDirect. I've bought a ton of stuff from them in the past without a problem. Credit card number and the secret pin number on the back.

Then a pop-up with multiple answer questions.

Which of the following five counties have you lived in - out of the five I've lived in three.

When did you purchase your home at this address xxx - month and year given.

Which of the following people do you know - my wife's maiden name was on the list.

What city is the following address in - xxx - the address of my home address from 20 years ago was there.

Who is providing this detailed data? I'm tempted to go back and buy a bunch of other stuff to see if it happens again.
View Quote

holee crap!

Probably from credit reports which has info from home loans, car loans, credit cards, etc.  It's upsetting to know all that detailed info on individuals is out there to anyone willing to pay for a report agency subscription.

Why do they need to ask you all that personal stuff anyways just for buying computer parts?

That's some scary sh*t.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top