Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:36:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 7:37:58 AM EST by KA3B]
205 mph Honda Nabs Headlines From Woebegone
205mph speeding ticket sets MN record, you betcha'
by dean adams

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Sheesh! And to think we gave up doing the flood run because it was filled with wobbling, drunken Harley riders who really were "unsafe at any speed".

Little known fact: Dylan's famed Minnesota Hi-way 61 runs right past the Soup offices; and most of the RW-based Soup crew have been traveling 61 for decades. So, we know of what we speak, or write, in this instance.

According to published reports ( http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4992111.html) this morning, a Honda 1000 rider has set the unofficial all-time speeding Minnesota ticket record on a return run during last weekend's flood run, most of which takes place on 61. The 20 year old Stillwater resident, Samuel Armstrong Tilley, was clocked at 205mph by a Minnesota State Patrol airplane, or so both Twin Cities papers report this morning.

200 mph on mostly two-lane 61? On a nice, fall Saturday afternoon when the tourists actually out-number mosquitoes? Uh-huh.

Note that the reports state the law officer didn't obtain a radar gun reading to determine the rider's speed, but used a stop watch and some pre-determined land markings to time him. Hmmm. Minnesotans and math; not really our strong suit is it fellow residents?

In what can only be a serious blow to the aftermarket, the published report quotes the cop/pilot as saying that many high-performance motorcycles with minor modifications can now "hit 200 mph". (DuHamel's 190 horsepower 1000 Superbike only pulled 195 at the '04 Brainerd Superbike race)

There's got to be a SouperPoll in all this ...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Sep/040921a.htm

ENDS
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:40:56 AM EST
I call BS.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:43:56 AM EST
Racing motorcycles should be banned because they have no use on our civilized roadways. Any one of the following attributes define a race motorcycle.

- Dual front brakes if empty weight is <500 lbs
- Speedo that goes over 100mph
- An areodymamic body (officers judgement as to what is for aerodynamics and what is for rider comfort [windshield])
- Z rated tires
- Non stock exhaust
- Handlebars less than 6 inches above the plane of the seat.
- 80+ horsepower

Only after we get these dangerous racing machines off our streets, will the zen of the universe be completed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:48:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Racing motorcycles should be banned because they have no use on our civilized roadways. Any one of the following attributes define a race motorcycle.

- An areodymamic body (officers judgement as to what is for aerodynamics and what is for rider comfort [windshield])
- Z rated tires
- Non stock exhaust
- 80+ horsepower

Only after we get these dangerous racing machines off our streets, will the zen of the universe be completed.

You should add the following evil features to your list:
- The name of the motorcycle contains an "R", "X" or "Z"
- The vehicle has multi-colored graphics
- The vehicle has appeared on the cover of any magazine with a girl in a bikini.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:54:10 AM EST
What do you call BS on?

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
I call BS.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:21:17 AM EST
imagine him hitting a bump & flying off

what a cool splat it would make

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:26:13 AM EST
ooooh, those evil assault motorcycyles....

A buddy just got a Suzuki GSX1100, not the sportiest bike out there, but goes 0-90 faster than you can say "Holy fucking shit, this thing is FAST!" according to him

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:30:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

- Z rated tires
- Non stock exhaust
- 80+ horsepower

- The name of the motorcycle contains an "R", "X" or "Z"
- The vehicle has multi-colored graphics
- The vehicle has appeared on the cover of any magazine with a girl in a bikini.

Don't forget:
- The tires protrude conspicuously beneath the bike.
- Holds more than 3 gallons of gas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:30:32 AM EST
I have a Honda CBR that I had up to 145mph here in Montana. Crotch rocket indeed. Even then I wasn't redlining it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:31:35 AM EST
doubt it was 205- VERY unlikley this bike could even do that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:29 AM EST
BS from Minnetota no less.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:35:31 AM EST
I had a 94 CBR 900RR...164mph was the fastest I got out of it...it was fairly stock w/ a pipe, and flatslide carbs....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:35:59 AM EST
remember this was the po po timing him with a watch- any slight mistake at that speed he clould be off by 20 or more mph- like it matters though
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:37:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cleatus:
doubt it was 205- VERY unlikley this bike could even do that.

Bikes they race at Daytona can hit 200+, but if you aren't hunched down it will peel you off the bike and splatter you all over the track. The best on the market bikes I have seen are limited to about 160 on the speedometer, and are probably governed not to go any faster than that.

But if those blocks were removed....

I dunno much about bikes, so I don't know the model mentioned here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:37:34 AM EST
205 mph is very doable on a bogbore sportbike these days. 10 years ago, I took an old and abused CBR 1000 up to 168 mph (indicated on Speedo, so it was certainly a bit inaccurate).
Roadracing bikes are set up for the best balance between handling, acceleration and speed. If DuHammel's bike had a different sprocket during the race at Brainard, it could have gone faster at the expense of acceleration.

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
I call BS.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:40:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By Balisong:

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

- Dual front brakes if empty weight is <500 lbs check
- Speedo that goes over 100mph check
- An areodymamic body (officers judgement as to what is for aerodynamics and what is for rider comfort [windshield]) check
- Z rated tiresno such luck
- Non stock exhaust check
- Handlebars less than 6 inches above the plane of the seat. check
- 80+ horsepowerclose but not quite

- The name of the motorcycle contains an "R", "X" or "Z" check - got two - RZ
- The vehicle has multi-colored graphics check
- The vehicle has appeared on the cover of any magazine with a girl in a bikini.Dang! Missed that issue

Don't forget:
- The tires protrude conspicuously beneath the bike. check
- Holds more than 3 gallons of gas. check

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:42:12 AM EST
IT never made the news around here
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:44:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 8:50:03 AM EST by Mauser101]
Only newer sportbike I've heard of getting near that speed in stock form was Suzuki's Hyabusa a few years ago. Think they got her up to 189mph. That was clocked with a radar gun.

Busa's aren't exactly the kindof bike a 20y/o can afford. Not that they're so expensive, about 10grand, but good luck finding an insurance company that will cover you.

ETA: Hyabusa's have a 1300cc engine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:50:01 AM EST
Loris Capirossi hit 215 on his Ducati at the MotoGP qualifiers not too long ago. That bike rus over 200 horsepower though and is set up for serious speed.

The bike this Minnesota guy was riding was most likely the '04 CBR 1000RR, on of the new "liter bikes." It puts out over 170 HP at the crank, so it's no small potato. But 205 is pushing it a little too far. With a radar gun, maybe they could get an accurate reading, but with a stop watch? C'mon, they could be at least 20 mph off with that method!

Most sportbike speedometers are as much as 6-12% off, depending on the make and model. My Suzuki GSX-R750 speedo is from 10-12%. When it indicates 150, I'm really only going about 132-135.

Those of you who say you've hit 168, etc. were probably at around 150 tops.

Things happen fast at 200 mph. Speed can be fun an exhilarating on the track, but on the street, it's just plain stupid. And it puts too many people at too high a risk. It's just not worth it. It's sportbike riders like this guy that give sportbike riders everywhere a bad name. Pretty soon we'll have pre-ban and post-ban bikes if we're not a little more responsible.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:51:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:
I have a Honda CBR that I had up to 145mph here in Montana. Crotch rocket indeed. Even then I wasn't redlining it.

Ditto to ALL of the above. Except mine is an '03 Kawasaki ZX-6E. Only had her to 12K on a 16K redline tach. Just ran out of road. And I ran down across the border to Wyoming to do my speed run. 20 miles of perfectly straight road just forces your throttle hand down on a sport bike...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:52:10 AM EST
205mph? Yeah...RIIIIGGHT

I defy anyone to take any road ready crotch rocket out on the Autobahn and do that. Not likely.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:53:51 AM EST

- Z rated tires
- Non stock exhaust
- 80+ horsepower

or a bayonet lug
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:04:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 9:06:14 AM EST by TheRedHorseman]

Originally Posted By beernut:
imagine him hitting a bump & flying off

what a cool splat it would make

nah, more like a long smear

and hey guys, IIRC a turbocharged 'Busa just got clocked at a oval track doing 251 mph setting a new top speed record for a street bike.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:06:06 AM EST
It wouldn't be impossible to modify it to go that fast. It almost gets there in stock form.
With some porting on the head, throw a good pipe on it, re-jet the carbs and change out the rear sprocket you could do it.

Originally Posted By LWilde:
205mph? Yeah...RIIIIGGHT

I defy anyone to take any road ready crotch rocket out on the Autobahn and do that. Not likely.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:12:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By trippletap:
It wouldn't be impossible to modify it to go that fast. It almost gets there in stock form.
With some porting on the head, throw a good pipe on it, re-jet the carbs and change out the rear sprocket you could do it.

205mph? Yeah...RIIIIGGHT

screw that, turbo and sprocket, its all you will need.
oh and a new windscreen and some really good leathers
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:14:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:

I did 125 in MT on my VTR the bike still had much more left I just didn't have the balls to do it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:20:32 AM EST
CBR 1000RR is a 170 or 175 mph bike tops. It is the slowest of the literbikes, in stock trim. Its a fuelie, BTW.

MotoGP bikes are pushing 250hp.

No stock bike can hit 200mph. A 'busa with extensive mods could though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:20:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

205mph? Yeah...RIIIIGGHT

screw that, turbo and sprocket, its all you will need.
oh and a new windscreen and some really good leathers

Don't forget the Depends.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:22:04 AM EST
My friend has a zx-12R that can hit 198 with a full exhaust and chip
so its not totally unbelievable
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:31:08 AM EST

- The name of the motorcycle contains an "R", "X" or "Z" CHECK
- The vehicle has multi-colored graphics CHECK

Swinestein would be proud of you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:31:21 AM EST
With only 190 hp, i'd say its definately BS. Maybe with some more mods (Turbo or NOS) he could do it. I've been reading up on Busa's and they dont take 2 much to get them over 200, but a little Honda's going to take quite a bit more work to get their.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:34:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:35:55 AM EST

It's kinda hard to do the things you're suggesting on these bikes--they're fuel injected.

The '04 Kawasaki ZX-10R already puts out 181 bhp stock. The Honda CBR 1000RR puts out 178 bhp. The GSX-R1000 puts out 162 bhp but is the fastest from 0-180 in just 22 seconds. That's with four cyliders and less than 1 liter. Just go down to your local dealer, plunk down $11K and you've got a bike that can go 0-60 in less than 2.8 seconds and can hit close to 190 mph. Try finding a car that can do that for $11 grand. Of course, I would never really suggest that a person get a liter bike as their first bike, but you get the picture.

You're right though about the possibility of getting one up to that speed though. But it will take more than a few tweeks here and there to hit a true 200+ (using GPS or some other more accurate method).

I've had my GSX-R750 up past 170 indicated for brief bursts, which is probably around 150 or so true speed...of course, those speeds belong on a track, not on a street.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:39:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
With only 190 hp, i'd say its definately BS. Maybe with some more mods (Turbo or NOS) he could do it. I've been reading up on Busa's and they dont take 2 much to get them over 200, but a little Honda's going to take quite a bit more work to get their.

Read up on bikes ... 190hp is plenty on a bike under 400lbs to hit 200 mph with only a few mods
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:20:51 AM EST
I had my GSXR 1100 at 185 Mph and it was still pulling (GPS confirmed). Just a few tweaks on it, and stock exaust.

205 Mph on a stock bike would be almost impossible. That last bit to 200 takes more HP that any stock bike will produce. Wind resistance is quadric, so it takes a lot more power to reach those speeds. A few tweaks and it might be do'able.

205mph? Yeah...RIIIIGGHT

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:27:40 AM EST
This 205 MPH B.S. speed is why CA law requires a ground unit to radar speeders for possible citations after being spotted by air police.

There are two kinds of riders - fast, and old. There are no fast and old riders.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:38:45 AM EST
I call bullshit also.

I've been to Minnesota several times and done a lot of driving around and most all of the roads and highways I drove on were like small rollercoasters.

NO FUCKING WAY you're staying on a motorcycle at 205MPH on those roads even if you're Velcroed and gorilla-snotted to the seat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:55:03 AM EST
Maybe We should determine how many of these have been involved in ruthless crimes and police chases. Ban any motorcycle with those above listed attributes.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:59:05 AM EST
Depending on the level of modification 205 is easily attainable. I did it several years ago on a 2001 gsxr1000 with a PC3r, akro full system, remap and TRE. It was still pulling hard when I let off. My speed was gps corrected since the digital speedo will not read past 186. My speedo isnt off too much since the gps read 150mph at 159mph speedo indicated.

I'm about to get my bike back after a little work. I had some head work done, 2mm big bore kit, replated cylinders, and various fuel delivery additions. If the 3mm pistons didnt leave too little meat on the block to be reliable I would have done those.

190hp is a whole lot. Most of the numbers posted here are BHP not RWHP. I should have somewhere over 220 rwhp when I get mine back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:06:31 AM EST
What's the cheapest someone could put together a 200mph+ bike for? The consensus here is that nothing hits 205 stock...looks like a few posters know of production bikes that will allegedly hit 180+ stock...anyone got a source to quote to for any of these speeds/times? sincerely interested
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:21:37 AM EST
It is still possible to modify the ports and exhaust and intake systems on the injected bikes.
I have been out of the sport for quite a while (I raced AMA-CCS and WERA 1989 - 1994), but I would imagine that there are ways to reprogram the computers, just like I had the computer on my car reprogrammed so that it would benefit better from my performance mods.

Originally Posted By soupersnake:

It's kinda hard to do the things you're suggesting on these bikes--they're fuel injected.

The '04 Kawasaki ZX-10R already puts out 181 bhp stock. The Honda CBR 1000RR puts out 178 bhp. The GSX-R1000 puts out 162 bhp but is the fastest from 0-180 in just 22 seconds. That's with four cyliders and less than 1 liter. Just go down to your local dealer, plunk down $11K and you've got a bike that can go 0-60 in less than 2.8 seconds and can hit close to 190 mph. Try finding a car that can do that for $11 grand. Of course, I would never really suggest that a person get a liter bike as their first bike, but you get the picture.

You're right though about the possibility of getting one up to that speed though. But it will take more than a few tweeks here and there to hit a true 200+ (using GPS or some other more accurate method).

I've had my GSX-R750 up past 170 indicated for brief bursts, which is probably around 150 or so true speed...of course, those speeds belong on a track, not on a street.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:22:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By LHD:
Depending on the level of modification 205 is easily attainable. I did it several years ago on a 2001 gsxr1000 with a PC3r, akro full system, remap and TRE. It was still pulling hard when I let off. My speed was gps corrected since the digital speedo will not read past 186. My speedo isnt off too much since the gps read 150mph at 159mph speedo indicated.

I'm about to get my bike back after a little work. I had some head work done, 2mm big bore kit, replated cylinders, and various fuel delivery additions. If the 3mm pistons didnt leave too little meat on the block to be reliable I would have done those.

190hp is a whole lot. Most of the numbers posted here are BHP not RWHP. I should have somewhere over 220 rwhp when I get mine back.

I'm not saying it is impossible...just mightily improbable! That speed is dependent upon the rider's skills, the road conditions, the bike's capabilities and limitations including engine, tires, and finally, the weather conditions.

At Bonnevile, no sweat for one of these superbikes with a great rider on top...or even maybe the Autobahn at night with little traffic. Under the conditions posted....? Not a chance! You need miles of straight, flat road in superb condition with NO bumps, pits, potholes or even stones of much size.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:36:21 AM EST
164 is the fastest I have ever ridden on the highway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:36:42 AM EST
www.ghostridermovie.net/

Download some of his movies............................ When the speedo hits 320 kph, that's 200 mph.

Old Hayabusa's could go 194 mph. They were limited to 187 mph, due to an EU agreement.

Easy to push them faster. Stock Hayabusa's are designed to be fast, but easy to control. They will also last for thousands of miles. If you take a CBR1000RR, open up the intake and exhaust, as well as some computer mods, that small, light bike, with a better hp-weight ratio than a 'Busa will certainly GO.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:40:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By legalese77:
What's the cheapest someone could put together a 200mph+ bike for? The consensus here is that nothing hits 205 stock...looks like a few posters know of production bikes that will allegedly hit 180+ stock...anyone got a source to quote to for any of these speeds/times? sincerely interested

For a couple bikes, the only reason they wont reach it stock is a speed limiter in the factory computer. Essentially a GSX1300R could reach 200 with a $1.50 mod that tricks the bike into thinking its in 5th gear instead of 6th. My GSXR1000 might have done it too but I modded it all at once so I couldnt test stock topend.

Originally Posted By LHD:

I'm not saying it is impossible...just mightily improbable! That speed is dependent upon the rider's skills, the road conditions, the bike's capabilities and limitations including engine, tires, and finally, the weather conditions.

At Bonnevile, no sweat for one of these superbikes with a great rider on top...or even maybe the Autobahn at night with little traffic. Under the conditions posted....? Not a chance! You need miles of straight, flat road in superb condition with NO bumps, pits, potholes or even stones of much size.

Rider skills???! Who cant twist thier wrist?

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:47:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
CBR 1000RR is a 170 or 175 mph bike tops. It is the slowest of the literbikes, in stock trim. Its a fuelie, BTW.

MotoGP bikes are pushing 250hp.

No stock bike can hit 200mph. A 'busa with extensive mods could though.

Turbo 'Busa could...a stock 1000 Gixxer could do 185, tops...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:58:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 12:00:59 PM EST by iNuhBaDNayburhood]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:34:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:37:18 PM EST
Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

...meanwhile, had he been in flip-flops and cutoffs he would have risked no injury at legal speeds
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:39:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By KA3B:
205 mph Honda Nabs Headlines From Woebegone
205mph speeding ticket sets MN record, you betcha'
by dean adams

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Sheesh! And to think we gave up doing the flood run because it was filled with wobbling, drunken Harley riders who really were "unsafe at any speed".

Little known fact: Dylan's famed Minnesota Hi-way 61 runs right past the Soup offices; and most of the RW-based Soup crew have been traveling 61 for decades. So, we know of what we speak, or write, in this instance.

According to published reports ( http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4992111.html) this morning, a Honda 1000 rider has set the unofficial all-time speeding Minnesota ticket record on a return run during last weekend's flood run, most of which takes place on 61. The 20 year old Stillwater resident, Samuel Armstrong Tilley, was clocked at 205mph by a Minnesota State Patrol airplane, or so both Twin Cities papers report this morning.

200 mph on mostly two-lane 61? On a nice, fall Saturday afternoon when the tourists actually out-number mosquitoes? Uh-huh.

Note that the reports state the law officer didn't obtain a radar gun reading to determine the rider's speed, but used a stop watch and some pre-determined land markings to time him. Hmmm. Minnesotans and math; not really our strong suit is it fellow residents?

In what can only be a serious blow to the aftermarket, the published report quotes the cop/pilot as saying that many high-performance motorcycles with minor modifications can now "hit 200 mph". (DuHamel's 190 horsepower 1000 Superbike only pulled 195 at the '04 Brainerd Superbike race)

There's got to be a SouperPoll in all this ...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Sep/040921a.htm

ENDS

Just curious as to if you really think speed enforcement airplane uses a radar and can do so indiscriminately as to only target a single machine way way way way down there?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:43:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 12:45:00 PM EST by LHD]

Originally Posted By Troy:

Originally Posted By drew5337:
A buddy just got a Suzuki GSX1100, not the sportiest bike out there, but goes 0-90 faster than you can say "Holy fucking shit, this thing is FAST!" according to him

-Troy

Look at those tactical leathers...

Do I see chicken strips?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top