Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2016 10:17:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 10:18:32 AM EDT by drfcolt]
Cross-posting from the car forum for the obligatory bashing ...............

I see the RAV4 is available as a hybrid for 2016.

Rated 34 city/32 highway with the AWD/4WD version.

I stopped and looked at a "Limited" version.

Loaded with a sticker of $36K - I believe they start at around $28.5K (conventional ones start at $23.5).

Only downside I could see is the CVT transmission - everything else is the same as the regular model (except the gas/electric stuff).

Anyone else have any experience with one or insight?

Link .........................
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:23:36 AM EDT
I was interested in the old Escapes when they made a 4wd hybrid prior to them switching to the focus chassis.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:23:51 AM EDT
We have a 2007 Rav4 that we've put 100K on and it gets crazy good mileage now. Looks like the hybrid over standard is $5K upcharge. How much mileage are you saving with hybrid and how long is the payback on gas saving to cover the 5K? There may also be tax benefits for hybrids I believe to consider.

In general the Rav4 has been an excellent vehicle for us. I would recommend it in general.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:26:29 AM EDT
One thing that is comforting is that Toyota has the gas/electric thing down pretty well.

Been doing it for years and have a few models available with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:27:57 AM EDT
My fiancée has a 2009 Prius with 104k and no problems with the battery.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:28:38 AM EDT
I don't think it's worth it over the non-hybrid RAV4. You're basically paying (roughly) $1k more for two miles per gallon gained by the hybrid RAV4.

It will be a long time before you break even with the money you save from that extra MPG.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:29:37 AM EDT
Meh, my mother in law has a new Forester, which averages 30mpg driving in town and dirt roads.  She got it loaded to the gills for 27k.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:32:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:33:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By drfcolt:
Cross-posting from the car forum for the obligatory bashing ...............

I see the RAV4 is available as a hybrid for 2016.

Rated 34 city/32 highway with the AWD/4WD version.

I stopped and looked at a "Limited" version.

Loaded with a sticker of $36K - I believe they start at around $28.5K (conventional ones start at $23.5).

Only downside I could see is the CVT transmission - everything else is the same as the regular model (except the gas/electric stuff).

Anyone else have any experience with one or insight?

Link .........................
View Quote

The CVT tranny in my Lexus CT200h is solid.  No issues at all.  Not sure why you're worried about it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:36:36 AM EDT
We had a 2004 RAV4. The head bolts were overtorqued from the factory, pulling the threads. It wasn't visible from the outside, but it allowed coolant to leak down the threads and by the time a visible leak happened they were so badly corroded that they couldn't be helicoiled.

So we bought a crate engine. $9,600. The engine in that vehicle was apparently only produced for a single year, and we were sitting there looking at an undriveable vehicle that we owed $7k on. It made more sense to put another $10k in it than to walk away, so we did. This was in ~2009.

On the other side of that... when my wife and I bought a new Kia in late 2014, we gave the RAV4 to my parents. They didn't need a car, but we knew the maintenance had been done religiously on the RAV4 and my dad said he'd drive it instead of his Jeep back and forth between Arkansas and Tennessee. Between us we've put 150k on the new engine with only normal maintenance without hiccup, and it still runs great and gets ~32 MPG.

My previous experience with Toyota (I had an '88 pickup) was excellent. I guess the only advice I have is to not buy a 2004 :)
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:39:18 AM EDT
I have an '11, v6...

The only thing that applies to your model is that I like the 4wd lock button....It wasn't offered on the other models that I looked at...

As far as the new Rav4's, they look like eggs...remind me of the egg shaped Durangos from a few years ago.

And in that class, the CRV gets good ratings. People like their Subarus but complain about maintenance/parts...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:44:04 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
I don't think it's worth it over the non-hybrid RAV4. You're basically paying (roughly) $1k more for two miles per gallon gained by the hybrid RAV4.

It will be a long time before you break even with the money you save from that extra MPG.
View Quote

- true.  But that estimate assumes gas does not go back to $4+ per gallon, which, BTW, was primarily caused by a lack of refining capacity (ie - it had nothing to do with our current  glut of domestic petroleum production thanks to fracking).
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:47:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By joker581:
Originally Posted By hkinfl:
We have a 2007 Rav4 that we've put 100K on and it gets crazy good mileage now. Looks like the hybrid over standard is $5K upcharge. How much mileage are you saving with hybrid and how long is the payback on gas saving to cover the 5K? There may also be tax benefits for hybrids I believe to consider.

In general the Rav4 has been an excellent vehicle for us. I would recommend it in general
View Quote

Same here. I've had mine for 14 years and put 170,000 miles on it and it's been great. It hasn't been flawless, but it's been an exceptional vehicle. I plan to drive it until it's ready for the junkyard and then replace it with another one.
View Quote

Had very good luck with my 2007 6cyl AWD. 188k on the clock and still ticking. It's showing its age especially now that it's my beater vehicle but overall I've loved it.

Huge value at $22k. Pushing $35k not sure it's the same value but overall I like that platform a lot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:35:28 PM EDT
It's hard to justify the cost increase of the hybrid given the marginal mileage increase.

Makes even less sense if most of your driving is at highway cruise.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:44:31 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
It's hard to justify the cost increase of the hybrid given the marginal mileage increase.

Makes even less sense if most of your driving is at highway cruise.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

The conventional RAV4 is rated at 24 city / 31 highway.
Top Top