Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2010 5:24:37 AM EDT
I don't see any models on the Yota website with it. I know it probably had no real functional purpose but it made the truck look so much cooler.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Not entirely sure. I got my 08 Tacoma this weekend though and it is AWESOME. Strongly suggest getting one regardless if it has a scoop or not.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you check on the TRD sport models?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

this, the sport model has the scoop, not the off road

and mine serves no purpose what so ever
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the scoop looked stupid.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:06:04 AM EDT
[#5]
It's on sport and prerunner models if I recall correctly.

My TRD offroad (and the REAL tacomas imo) don't have the non functional scoops.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't see any models on the Yota website with it. I know it probably had no real functional purpose but it made the truck look so much cooler.

You should put a spoiler on the back as well when you get it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Only the TRD Sport models come with the cosmetic scoop and limited slip diff. The TRD Off Road comes with a rear locker. I really like the new colors on the 11's and the honeycomb grill looks totally badass. I wonder if it's possible to have a dealer order one and install it on an older taco?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it a truck or racecar?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I know it's stupid... but I think it makes it look cooler... just  me I guess

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not seeing it on the TRD on Google images...
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Check the TRD Sport models.
And READ the options page: TRD Sport Extra Value Package:  Sport Suspension with Bilstein Shocks, 17" Alloy Wheels with P265/65R17 Tires,  Hood Scoop, Color-Keyed Grille Surround/Bumpers/Power Mirrors (Access Cab models only)/Door Handles/Overfenders, Smoked Headlamp Trim, Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, 115V/400W Deck Powerpoint, Fog Lamps, Remote Keyless Entry, Cruise Control, Variable Speed Wipers, Overhead Console with Compass and Temperature Gauge, Sport Seats with Driver Lumbar Support and Sport Fabric Trim in place of Standard Bucket Seats (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls and Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors and Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], TRD Sport Graphics
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

this, they're the ghey.  Complete after market thought, lets add this crap......and people will buy it!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:15:40 AM EDT
[#12]
what does it do?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

what does it do?

vents gasses and keeps the engine compartment from blowing apart. theres simply too much power for a regular hood.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
what does it do?

vents gasses and keeps the engine compartment from blowing apart. theres simply too much power for a regular hood.

Is his true? I know thats what. They're purpose is but it's not necessarily needed right? Having it may have a slight benefit though?

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
what does it do?

Is his true? I know thats what. They're purpose is but it's not necessarily needed right? Having it may have a slight benefit though?

Not true. But I agree with you OP, I think it adds a nice touch.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless it's to provide clearance for the optional TRD supercharger, it's useless.

Tacoma seems pretty lame compared to the current Frontier:

- less HP/torque
- C-channel frame vs. fully boxed
- plastic "composite" bed vs. steel w/ factory spray-in bedliner
- no more limited slip rear ends (simulated via brakes)
- rear drum brakes (what is this, 1985?)

On the plus side, aftermarket support is much better than Frontier.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know it's stupid... but I think it makes it look cooler... just  me I guess

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not seeing it on the TRD on Google images...

It's not just you, I think it looks nice on the truck.  

I couldn't give a shit less how many guys want to whine about it.  If you are buying the truck for someone else, then I guess their opinion matters.  Otherwise, it's all just personal preference.

The scoop itself is completely non-functional.  It's only there for appearance purposes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]
PepBoys has glue-ons for $20.  Get a set of chrome flames while you're at it.  Also, pick a Latin American nation and emblazon its flag across your back window.

Then your truck will be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Sport package.......non functional.........but it's mine and I like it

wish I'd had the scratch for the supercharger..........maybe next time
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Shit, that hood scoop added 150lbs-ft torque! The Tacoma will be a gutless wonder now.

...oh wait, it already was

On topic, GOOD. That hood scoop ruined the otherwise good looks of the truck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Unless it's to provide clearance for the optional TRD supercharger, it's useless.

- less HP/torque

Personally I think the Frontier is ugly. I agree that Toyota needs to update the motor. Rumors of that next year or the year after. Also would be nice if it had a steel bed and rear discs, but I'm not sure where you're coming from with the limited slip rear end, at least on the TRD Off-Road models. They have limited slip, rear e-locker, and a very good electronic system. A lot of the Tacoma guys claim the new 4wd system is nearly as good as a front and rear locker.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#24]
At least I'm not alone despite still being the minority.  
Do they sell spinners for the TRD?
I have looked at the Frontier. Similar looking to the Chevy Colorado which I like as well. But the Taco just has a bigger beefier look to it.
As far as metal beds go, I always remember the Toyota truck always having rusted out beds and wheel wells. I'll take the composite. I'm not dumping busted up pieces of concrete into the bed from 100ft.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Me too!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Hood scoop on TRD sport package but when I was looking at the TRD off road I told the salesman that I wanted the scoop and he could just swap hoods with another TRD.

He said no so I said no deal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/WUFMAN/jul2008015.jpg

This charger?

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

- less HP/torque

I spend a lot of time Many miles from paved roads. The farther out I go the less I see of anything but toyota pickup trucks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/WUFMAN/jul2008015.jpg

This charger?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/airforcedude23/IMG_9752.jpg?t=1283218383

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Shit, that hood scoop added 150lbs-ft torque! The Tacoma will be a gutless wonder now.

...oh wait, it already was

On topic, GOOD. That hood scoop ruined the otherwise good looks of the truck.

Those body style Tacos are actually pretty peppy with the 5 speed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

- less HP/torque

I test-drove Frontier and Tacoma back to back.  Tacoma felt faster and accelerated to speed better than Frontier.  Frontier engine did feel more refined (smoother).

The reinforced C-channel frame on the Tacoma does fine.

The composite bed will never, ever rust, and takes abuse as well or better than a steel bed.

Every single Tacoma built from '09 onward has brake-based traction control, and can simulated limited slip (which, since it requires no traction on the other drive wheel to work, functions more like a locker than limited slip).  The 4wd TRD OR models have ATRAC, which is brake-based four-wheel limited slip, and apparently is amazing off-road.  (I have a 2wd, so I don't have experience with the current generation 4wd.)

The rear drum brakes work just fine, have less un-sprung mass than equivalent discs, and have a simple and relatively foolproof parking brake mechanism.  With the standard electronic brake distribution and antilock brakes, the truck makes good use of all of its available braking.   I've been very, very impressed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Is the hoodscoop made by tapco?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Agree on the lameness of the non-functioning scoop. OR > Sport BTW. Here's mine:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a312/tharden/Avid_2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I drive a mid 90s taco. I checked out one of the new 4 door models. Damn I wish had the cash to upgrade. They're making them a fair bit bigger now than they did in the 90s. I could use the extra width for my fat ass.

Too bad I'd have to shell out $30k to get one. fucking pricey.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Agree on the lameness of the non-functioning scoop. OR > Sport BTW. Here's mine:

Damn that looks nice, I'm loving that olive drab paint. I saw a Dcab yesterday in that color decked out with TRD rims and BFG All Terains that looked flipin sweet.

I got mine when the only decent color was silver, now there's three identical tacos in my neighborhood.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think the scoop looks awesome.

You and me both, brother!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
what does it do?

Increases aerodynamic drag.

Quoted:

NICE!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's mine back in '06.  I like the look of the scoop.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn that looks nice, I'm loving that olive drab paint. I saw a Dcab yesterday in that color decked out with TRD rims and BFG All Terains that looked flipin sweet.

I got mine when the only decent color was silver, now there's three identical tacos in my neighborhood.  

Thanks. That color is Pyrite Mica and it's looks great in the sun; It's a combo of brown, gold, and green and looks pretty slick in person. Most of the Tacos I see on the road around here are white or silver so, I like having a unique color.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Is the scoop actually functional when you have the supercharger installed?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Really?   To each his own.    I happen to like mine.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#43]
On toyotanation.com there is an ongoing hood swap thread, so whether you have a scoop or don't, whether you want' one or don't, you can swap hoods with another member.  http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322442
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:22:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Very nice. I like the grill without the Yota emblem.

Quoted:

If you're going to put a cap on it why not just get the 4 Runner?

Probably not a good comparison but I see it as being just as useless as a sports car that can go >100mph since we live in a country where the speed limits is never more than what, like 80 at the most?
I think sports cars are about as useless as the hood scoop... sure they look cool but what do they really do aside from self gratification....
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I love the hood scoop. It makes it look a bit more like the sexier Hilux.

Toyota also needs to ditch the rear drums in favor of discs. The 2011 Ford Ranger gets rear disc, probably the first of the compact pickups to do so.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Do the 4X4 still come with push button 4 wheel drive or do they come with a secondary gear box and stick?

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Toyota also needs to ditch the rear drums in favor of discs. The 2011 Ford Ranger gets rear disc, probably the first of the compact pickups to do so.

Ford's bringing the Ranger back?
This?

Looks like a hybrid of every truck currently on the market including that ridiculous looking Avalanche/Ridgeline... I hate Fords.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do the 4X4 still come with push button 4 wheel drive or do they come with a secondary gear box and stick?

It's a push button 4WD system nowadays.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#49]
how does the hood scoop handle heavy rain?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ford's bringing the Ranger back?
This?

http://blog.healyford.ca/images/2011-ford-ranger-geneva_SHOW.jpg

Looks like a hybrid of every truck currently on the market including that ridiculous looking Avalanche/Ridgeline... I hate Fords.

I'm a ford guy till the end, there is no way in hell I would take that even for free.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top