Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/30/2010 6:33:17 PM EDT
Which would you prefer and why?

My mom currently drives a 2007 Hyundai Elantra, she wants to trade it in and get a new truck. I told her I thought it was a dumb idea since she will only use it as a commuter car, and my step-dad already has a truck so they have access to a truck if they need to move stuff. Anyways she says she prefers to drive a truck anyways, she used to drive an '05 Explorer. She was looking into getting a new F-150. I suggested she look into getting a Tacoma since she wont be doing any real towing or hauling on a regular basis, and that in 4 years or so when she decides she wants something new that I would hopefully be in a position to buy it off of her, where I wouldnt be likely to buy an F-150 from them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the Taco might be the more practical fit, but if she feels good in the bulk of an F-150, let her go with it. They are good trucks.

I tried the Taco, but ended up getting a Tundra. Sometimes it's just about what you feel you want to be driving, not what is practical.

And the Tundra suits my needs just fine, but if I had my choice, I'd still be driving a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab Cummins Diesel. See how that works?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Taco.  She will like the better gas mileage, handling, and cheaper price.  It will also resale for a good price and move fast.

For one, she has to wait on a 2011 F150, then she will pay premium on the price since everyone will be wanting the 2011's because they have the all new engine lineup in them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote for the F150. There a damn nice truck. You'll have to go Taco shopping elsewhere.

Sometimes you buy it just because. I bought a F250 with a Powerstroke and the biggest thing I pull is a little 4 foot utility trailer that I could pull with my Jetta.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The Tundra is the truck to compare the the F150.   I wouldn't bother with most small trucks, they don't get good enough mileage to make up the difference in carrying and towing.   My 3/4 ton diesel pickup gets 3mpg better than the wife's small/mid size SUV.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
dealers are trying to move what's left of the 2010 stock right now.  they apparently won't discount on crew cabs, but will take 1k off everything else.

eta: i'm talking about tacomas

eta2: my vote goes for the tacoma

eta3: biased opinion because i got a '10 tundra couple of weeks back and i love it

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
f-150 > taco
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I vote for the F150. There a damn nice truck. You'll have to go Taco shopping elsewhere.

Sometimes you buy it just because. I bought a F250 with a Powerstroke and the biggest thing I pull is a little 4 foot utility trailer that I could pull with my Jetta.

Yeah but you could pull anything you want. That's the important thing.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd get the F150.  Theyre both similar in pricing and the handling isnt all that much different.  The F150 is going to be much more roomy inside and more capable outside.  Make sure you drive both as I did.  Oh for further info as this applies to the Tacoma vs the F150:

- less HP/torque
- C-channel frame vs. fully boxed
- plastic "composite" bed vs. steel w/ factory spray-in bedliner
- no more limited slip rear ends (simulated via brakes)
- rear drum brakes (what is this, 1985?)

Tacoma looks nice, but it really really is not an equal comparison at all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Tough call.  I'd probably go with the Toyota.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a hard call at all!!!
Ford F150 all the way!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Apples to oranges. 1/4 ton vs. 1/2 ton pickup. However -

I have a 2008 single cab, 4 cyl, 4wd Tacoma and have been very happy with it. I average 22.5mpg and it can comfortably tow 3000 pounds in my experience. It has also surprised me off road in it's capability, even while wearing narrow street tires.

The last F-150 I drove was an 06 for Uncle Sam, and while it was a good truck (a single cab, 4wd with the V8) it didn't have the acceleration I would have expected from a 5.4L V8. I think this mostly has to do with the transmission, but it was still relatively quick.

The Tacoma is dimensionally smaller and is great to park. Turning radius is excellent on my single cab and acceleration is adequate - not blistering, but good unladen. The 2010 Tacoma single cab is available with an automatic, FWIW.

The Toyota has my vote, because it will more closely fit your mom's expected needs of a commuter vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Which one is better is better suited for off-road? Which would be why I would want the vehicle a few years down the line?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're talking 2011's I'd go with the F-150. The Taco has a dated engine and doesn't get very good gas mileage for what it is. The new 2011 F-150's will have all new engines with DI. She will be able to choose from the turbo Ecotech, to the 5.0, and even the new 6.2L. All of them get very good gas mileage with much better power than the Taco 4.0L. Most of the new engines even get better power AND gas mileage than the Taco 4.0L IIRC.

Toyota needs to update the Taco to compete with what Ford is doing. Rumors are that they will be updating the 2012 or 2013 models.

That being said, if I were looking at a truck for off road ability the Taco is awesome. It has a really nice 4WD system, probably one of the best. I'd say it's probably set up better for that than the F-150 and more aftermarket stuff too. It also will probably have much better resale value.

However, it doesn't sound like your mom wants to off-road, so if that is the case I'd definitely go F-150.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Ill just leave this here.

This is my '10 F150.  I looked hard at both the Taco and the 150. The Toyota camp just would not budge on the pricing. The MSRP on my 150 was about$8500 more than the Taco I was looking at.  By the time I went back and forth with the dealer I got the 150 for almost the same price.  The 150 is roomier, rides a lot better is a HELL of a lot quieter and for mileage I just took it to Wyoming and back from Seattle. I made it from Seattle to Butte MT on one tank of fuel. The ticker said it was getting 18.8 mpg.  Not bad for a full size truck running 75/80 with the air on through the mountains. I had it out in the sticks in WY and it did not have any issues getting anywhere I put it. It only gets about 15mpg around town.  I will admit that there is more out there in off road gear for the Taco but if you want a good all around truck I think the 150 is a better option.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with the Ford.

Fuck government Motors!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Ford F150 engine selection
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Tacoma.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go with the Ford.

Fuck government Motors!

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I vote for the Ford hands down! If off road is the primary concern, which it isn't in this case, than an old beater Jeep will smash just about anything else with proper upgrades. Only an idiot would take a brand new truck, nevermind which brand, hardcore offroading. Unless you've got money to burn, leave the hardcore stuff to purpose built rides. Anything mild and the Ford will be equally as capable. Now when it comes to doing actual "truck things", there really isn't any comparison is there? I'll be picking up a '11 Ford myself right after I hit the lotto, should be any day now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
To each his own but personally Im searching for a yellow f150. That leaves me wtih 04-05 models i believe. But there are 3 Fords in our drive way right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Personally, I'd go with the F-150.
It's an excellent truck...
I use the hell out of my '03...rough forrest service roads, towing, hauling stuff, 4 trips acros the country fully loaded and it's been dead reliable.

I have a standard crew cab (rear seat with swing out doors) it has plenty of room for two adults in the back and does just fine for my wife and kid.
Why get a minivan when you can get a truck that does so much more.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#22]
bump for day crew.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
F-150 all day long.

ETA:

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
f-150 > taco

mmhmm
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Which one is better is better suited for off-road? Which would be why I would want the vehicle a few years down the line?

Wait, is this for YOU or for MOM?

This isnt a case of "Mom wants an F150 but son knows best" is it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much yes. My opinion is that she doesnt need a brand new truck truck every 3 or 4 years especially when her husband already has one. She is obviously doing to buy whatever she wants but I've suggested that she look into Tacoma's aswell with the added benefit that I might be interested in buying it off of her in a few years when she decides to sell it and get something new.

I was also in general interested in other people's opinions on these dissimilar vehicles for use as a commuter vehicle and later potentially a BOV.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Tacoma is now 100% made in TX at a non union plant...

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread is retarded.  The comparison is either F-150 v Tundra or Tacoma v Ford Ranger.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a Taco –– of the catering truck and eat it in her F-150
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much yes. My opinion is that she doesnt need a brand new truck truck every 3 or 4 years especially when her husband already has one. She is obviously doing to buy whatever she wants but I've suggested that she look into Tacoma's aswell with the added benefit that I might be interested in buying it off of her in a few years when she decides to sell it and get something new.

I was also in general interested in other people's opinions on these dissimilar vehicles for use as a commuter vehicle and later potentially a BOV.

I just recently compared the two.  I bought the taco because an f-150 with half the options was the same price.  

The taco 4x4 trd was 30k while an xl f150 4x4 with the small 8 and shitty transmission was 30k.  

I have a smaller boat to pull so either truck was fine for my needs.  

Also, if you get the trd off road 4x4 you get a locker and a-trac, which is just about as awesome for off roading that you can get with IFS.

I average 22-23 mpg with the taco.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#31]
i sold my 01 taco 4x4, looked at a new taco/tundra, and finally chose a 2010 f150 supercrew.

TONS of room inside, seats fold up in back, floor is flat, tows more, rides nicer - and gets 19.xx miles per gallon.  Old taco with the 2.7 got about the same.

I'd get the f150; they're really nice.  It's more truck for the $$ I think... if you can navigate the way ford works their rebate/invoice gimmicks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I just recently compared the two.  I bought a taco because an f-150 with half the options was the same price.  I got a 4x4 trd for 30k.  an xl f150 4x4 with the small 8 and shitty transmission was 30k.

That too, you can get a 6ft bed, 4-door V6 TRD package for 32k MSRP (likely to be lower).  And the Tacoma's bed has a neat adjustable cleat system so you can move your tie down points anywhere you want them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This thread is retarded.  The comparison is either F-150 v Tundra or Tacoma v Ford Ranger.

People can compare and contrast anything they want. In this thread I picked an F-150 and a Tacoma, if you lack the imagination to compare two somewhat dissimilar vehicles then yeah maybe you shouldnt be in this thread.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#34]
F-150.  It's 10 times the truck for the same price, maybe a 1-2 grand more.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

bout 10 grand more
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

bout 10 grand more

I paid $26,150 for mine. What are the Tacoma's going for?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I just recently compared the two.  I bought the taco because an f-150 with half the options was the same price.  

The taco 4x4 trd was 30k while an xl f150 4x4 with the small 8 and shitty transmission was 30k.  

I have a smaller boat to pull so either truck was fine for my needs.  

Also, if you get the trd off road 4x4 you get a locker and a-trac, which is just about as awesome for off roading that you can get with IFS.

I average 22-23 mpg with the taco.

How in God's green earth do you get 22-23 with the Taco?    I have one, and I get an avg of 15-16mpg with a mix of city and highway not including towing my boat into the equation there.   I don't think I ever got above 18 when it was totally stock before the lift and bigger tires.   Do you have a 6 cylinder, or a 4?   Maybe my hood scoop kills my gas milage.    

Anyways, the comparison is not really the same.   If I had to do it over I think I would go with a Tundra over the Tacoma because the gas milage is actually very similar and the Tundra is rated higher for hauling and towing.   I just love the Tacoma, so that's what I got.   Toyota vehicles are all I've ever owned and until I get burned, that's all I ever plan on owning.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Go with the Ford.

Fuck government Motors!

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bout 10 grand more

A shitload more than $16k as of a year ago.  Fuck toyota fanboys.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bout 10 grand more

With what options?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Taco all the way, it will hold its value much better.  So even if you don't buy it from them, they will get a better trade/sell value.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bout 10 grand more

I wanted to get a ford.  They were to expensive.

Heres what i wanted in my truck:

biggest motor available, automatic, tow package, 4x4, no one legged rear end, extended or crew cab.  Show me a ford under 30k.

Got a taco loaded up for that much.

I'm not saying an equally equipped f150 would have not have more power, higher towing capacity , etc.  But the Taco can fulfill my needs easily.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#43]
F-150.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How in God's green earth do you get 22-23 with the Taco?    I have one, and I get an avg of 15-16mpg with a mix of city and highway not including towing my boat into the equation there.   I don't think I ever got above 18 when it was totally stock before the lift and bigger tires.   Do you have a 6 cylinder, or a 4?   Maybe my hood scoop kills my gas milage.    

Anyways, the comparison is not really the same.   If I had to do it over I think I would go with a Tundra over the Tacoma because the gas milage is actually very similar and the Tundra is rated higher for hauling and towing.   I just love the Tacoma, so that's what I got.   Toyota vehicles are all I've ever owned and until I get burned, that's all I ever plan on owning.

I use fuelly.com.  I have a 2010 4x4 with the 6 cyl.  all factory

My average is a little down from towing a small trailer the other day.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bout 10 grand more

With what options?

Pretty standard truck, not a lot of frills which is what I was going for.

4.6L 3 valve.
4X4, 16" alloys, power everything, towing package, that's about it.

ETA: I added a cat-back exhaust and it's now got plenty of balls. Plus decent fuel economy when I don't gas it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I would go with the Tacoma. The commuting part will save her on gas. F150s get shit for gas mileage.
I have a 2007 Tacoma and I will never buy any other vehicle for a truck except Tacoma or a Tundra.
I get 20-22 mpg depending on how hard i push it. It does great in snow, rain and mud

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bout 10 grand more

I will never understand why some of you people get your panties in such a knot over someone's choice of vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I would go with the Tacoma. The commuting part will save her on gas. F150s get shit for gas mileage.
I have a 2007 Tacoma and I will never buy any other vehicle for a truck except Tacoma or a Tundra.
I get 20-22 mpg depending on how hard i push it. It does great in snow, rain and mud

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/Taco_Vernal_1-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/Fierce_Taco.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/0722082030.jpg

that truck is BADASS!  I miss my tacoma
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#49]
F-150 for sure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#50]
F-150.

My 2010 SCREW gets 15MPG around town and 21-24 on the highway

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top