Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2013 4:38:32 AM EDT
So the wife's car needs brake pads.

The dealership wants stupid money to do it.

I have done brakes on Honda's, Ford's, Chevy's, Toyota's and Chrysler's before.

Is there anything significantly different on a VW?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Unlikely. Brakes are brakes. My 330ci is German obviously and it is not anything special. I try not to go to the Stealership if I can avoid it. Parts is parts IMO.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of german cars have brake pistons that rotate in.  Not difficult just different.  

Can you find a youtube video for it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of german cars have brake pistons that rotate in.  Not difficult just different.  

View Quote

Actually I cannot. Almost all of them are 2003 or prior.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

hit the VW car forums
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

what do you mean rotate in?   The piston rotates as it goes in and out?  How does that work?  is the backside threaded?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty straight forward.

Check rotors. Most mfg want rotors replaced when bad. Not many places re-surface anymore.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

what do you mean rotate in?   The piston rotates as it goes in and out?  How does that work?  is the backside threaded?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats only on the rear, it sets the parking brake.

the front on that jetta are easy, easy as it gets.
the rear have to be rotated in.

no turn on rotors, replace only, if required (pulsation, grooving, wear limit or dished)

some of the new cars, passats, audi's ect have electric rear parking brake that requires a scan tool in order to retract. forcing them will destroy them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have factory service manuals for my cars.  They come in very handy.  Check Craigslist and Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

and my 2007 Jetta is exactly that way.

You can get a compression tool which which will rotate and compress the piston at the same time from Harbor Freight for about $15.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You can get a compression tool which which will rotate and compress the piston at the same time from Harbor Freight for about $15.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They rotate in the front on your '07?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have factory service manuals for my cars.  They come in very handy.  Check Craigslist and Ebay.
View Quote

This.   Take all the guesswork out of it.

Sometimes you can even find the FSM online for free.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]
We have virtually the same car.

How many miles on it?

I got a recall notice recently for a hose bursting of some sort.
I took it in to the dealership, apparently the tab on the windshield washer fluid can rub against a hose causing it to burst.

The solution? Cut the tab off - and then try to sell me a "brake fluid change" for $350.

I hate dealerships.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, no front rotate in.. 10 years vw repair here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I did both fronts and rears today.

I will say that overall, not that bad but I was lacking some tools. I didn't have the tool to turn the rear calipers back in so i went to the parts store and bought a tool which didn't work well at all. I ended up using a pair of needle nose pliars which fit perfectly and got it worked out.

In total I spent $98. I figure I saved about $450-$500 dollars doing it myself instead of taking it to a dealership service department.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
All I know is that the rear pads wore a heck of a lot quicker on my '06 Jetta. Pulled the fronts on and off easily. Just like it should be done. The rear pads were completely gone and the rotors needed to be replaced. Had to buy a triple square set of sockets to try and pull the brake carriers off. Wasn't happening...the mechanic I talked to me laughed at me on the phone. Said they regularly break tools pulling those off...maybe I was getting a line of crap but I could break them free without climbing under the car, which I wasn't about to do since I was only using a couple of jacks and widow makers. I submitted and took the car to a garage.

Of course maybe I shouldn't have driven 100K on original brakes...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#16]
My local shop had to use a star socket while replacing the rear brakes. Not sure where it was used exactly. Mileage was 57,600.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top