Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 5:12:19 PM EDT
Anyone seen the 2006 Chevy Impala that they just redesigned? Why in the world did they get rid of the round taillights?

www.chevrolet.com/impala06/

Now it looks like every other car out there again. I own an '02 and one of the things I LIKED about the car's looks was the "retro" round taillights....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:24:59 PM EDT
Because now it becomes less likely that when someone gets a cracked or damaged tailight that they'll be able to find a repalcement at a salvage yard for a fraction of the cost instead of going to a dealership for a replacement.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 5:27:55 PM EDT by rcoers]

Originally Posted By Grendel_J:
Anyone seen the 2006 Chevy Impala that they just redesigned? Why in the world did they get rid of the round taillights?

www.chevrolet.com/impala06/

Now it looks like every other car out there again. I own an '02 and one of the things I LIKED about the car's looks was the "retro" round taillights....

Sorry to tell ya, but the car already looked like every other boring FWD car GM has put out for the last 15 or so years.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:28:43 PM EDT
GM is its own worst enemy in terms of vehicle (car) design, with one notable exception.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:40:57 PM EDT
OK, call me the lone evangelist. After being in '05 models to no end at the dealership, then looking at the first '06 Impala SS that we got in, there's no comparison. I think it's possibly the best thing that the Chevrolet division has going for it, in a close running with the Trailblazer. Save your gripes until you have a chance to look at one up close, preferably in close proximity to a Five Hundred, 300C, or Altima.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:42:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ISED8U:
GM is its own worst enemy in terms of vehicle (car) design, with one notable exception.

+1. What, you don't like the new MontecarlograndprixGTOG6impalacobalt?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:43:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:
OK, call me the lone evangelist. After being in '05 models to no end at the dealership, then looking at the first '06 Impala SS that we got in, there's no comparison. I think it's possibly the best thing that the Chevrolet division has going for it, in a close running with the Trailblazer. Save your gripes until you have a chance to look at one up close, preferably in close proximity to a Five Hundred, 300C, or Altima.

It's a reskinned 05 boring Impala. Same 'ol shit GM has put out in the last 15 years.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:43:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rcoers:

Originally Posted By ISED8U:

+1. What, you don't like the new MontecarlograndprixGTOG6impalacobalt?

Thanks for the chuckle!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:46:01 PM EDT
Better question is... why did they make it WWD?

Oh, yeah... because every stupid dyke in the US decided they need an SUV because they can't drive in the snow, think it's safe, think they go off-road on a regular basis, or have little or no penis.
Then GM handed the entire full-sized car market to Ford so GM could make more soccer-mom-mobiles. Which, in turn made it far easier for people to ditch the cops.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:46:18 PM EDT
300 hp v8, but it still looks like crap. I miss my 96 SS.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:48:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2005 5:49:18 PM EDT by rcoers]

Originally Posted By bill3508:

Bill3508

A 300 HP FWD car is just plain dumb. Can you say torque steer? I think some of the new GM V8 FWD cars have wider tires in the front. Silly...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:16:32 PM EDT

Bill3508

A 300 HP FWD car is just plain dumb. Can you say torque steer? I think some of the new GM V8 FWD cars have wider tires in the front. Silly...

They do:
Chevy Impala SS
Pontiac Gran Prix GTP

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:38:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:

Bill3508

They do:
Chevy Impala SS
Pontiac Gran Prix GTP

I read an article in Motor Trend that featured the new "SS" Impala. The GM rep was asked why aren't you building or have in the works any RWD vehicles. He refused to talk about it, but said that he thought you could build exciting FWD performance vehicles. F'n lame!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:32:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:

Bill3508

They do:
Chevy Impala SS
Pontiac Gran Prix GTP

I read an article in Motor Trend that featured the new "SS" Impala. The GM rep was asked why aren't you building or have in the works any RWD vehicles. He refused to talk about it, but said that he thought you could build exciting FWD performance vehicles. F'n lame!

I can answer that question for him:

It's cheaper to build as many different models as possible from a single platform rather than developing the ideal platform for each model. With the Impala/Gran Prix, GM gets to make everything from el-cheapo rentals to "high-performance" models - and everything in between - from a single platform. You end up with a pretty decent rental and a pretty crappy "high-performance" car.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:03:39 AM EDT
That makes sense in their minds, but their days are numbered if they don't come out with some more exciting product lines.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:18:19 AM EDT
We got a 06 impala the other day at the dealership and the mechanic's were talking about how when going down the road the cylinder's shutoff from 8 to 6 to 4 to help converse gas(problem waiting to happen)like on the 4.6 autoride cadillac's from the mid 80's.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:46:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kbi:
We got a 06 impala the other day at the dealership and the mechanic's were talking about how when going down the road the cylinder's shutoff from 8 to 6 to 4 to help converse gas(problem waiting to happen)like on the 4.6 autoride cadillac's from the mid 80's.

pssst
the new hemis (charger, magnum, 300) do the same thing.

pssst
we're not dealing with '80s technology now.
Top Top