Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 11:59:49 PM EDT
2003 Honda Accord sedan no navigation.

Backlight in the center console radio display went out.  Seems to be an epidemic problem.

I'm a few months outside of the warranty extension since the car was bought in Spring '03.

Service Bulliten: 04-027

Warranty Extension: Audio-HVAC Display Is Dim or Dark

(Supersedes 04-027, Audio-HVAC Display Is Dim or Dark, dated February 15, 2006.

To ensure that customers have adequate warranty

coverage for this potential problem, American Honda is

increasing the warranty on the audio unit display to

7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Dealership said the entire head unit needs to be replaced at my cost.

Any cheaper alternatives to solve this problem?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a decent aftermarket head unit?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get a decent aftermarket head unit?

Only issue with this is that the HVAC controls are built in to the stock radio unit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, that sucks.  Planned obsolescense?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You just need the printed circuit board in the radio, not the whole thing. The TSB only replaces the circuit board. I've fixed them outside the warranty extension with the TSB parts. Should cost you around $200
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You just need the printed circuit board in the radio, not the whole thing. The TSB only replaces the circuit board. I've fixed them outside the warranty extension with the TSB parts. Should cost you around $200

Thanks for the info.

Do you know where I can buy the PCB online?  Will the dealership parts dept. sell it to me?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You need a dash kit to make an aftermarket radio work.

Dash kit
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
My dealer will sell them, but they are remanufactured with a core charge. Since the repair is outside of the warranty extension the customer has to buy the core charge too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top