Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2011 9:50:15 PM EDT
So it seems as if vehicles always have problems at the most inopportune moments.

Today while accelerating from a stoplight i noticed that my 2004 Ford F-150 Heritage edition 4.6L V6 (basically a 2003) was jerking while accelerating like the engine was missing. No check engine light was on and it doesnt seem to do it while cruising, just while accelerating and under load.

Also, while sitting at the light i stomped the gas and while the engine was first spooling up it missed a little too.

Also, there was no check engine light on. I did replace the upper and lower intake manifold gasket about a month ago. Aside from that the engine has had no maintenance aside from regular oil changes. Its still on the same plugs and wires and fuel filter and belts and everything.

Can anyone offer any advice? Like everybody else, i need this truck for work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Would say it is time to change the Spark Plugs.
Old Spark Plugs will cause the problems you are having.
You will not believe how much better your truck will run, you were slowly losing performance over a long period of time.
How many miles on your truck?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Mass Air Flow sensor needs cleaned/replaced
Plugs/coils

Sure it was the engine and not the tranny slipping?   Fords can act all kinds of bad before they set the idiot light off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
plugs or a bad coil, be real careful doing the plugs those like to break off in the head
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine was doing the same thing, but the light was coming on. Turned out to be the coil. My other truck was doing something similar, with no check engine light. All it needed was a fuel filter. I would start with the fuel filter.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:05:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The ford engines around that time are known for a coil or two going out.

Pretty straight forward to swap.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ford engines around that time are known for a coil or two going out.

Pretty straight forward to swap.

+1.  I replaced 4 of them in my 2002.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
plugs or a bad coil, be real careful doing the plugs those like to break off in the head

Not on that engine.  The issue was with the 5.4.

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#8]
My Mom drove a 2001 Ford, it was the opposite however, at cruising it missed like a bastard and it had an ignitor pack/ coil issue.  Under load  it wasn't as noticeable.  Sounds like it might be a good place to start
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
More than likely its the coils, those trucks use coil-on-plugs, They are held in with a small bolt, usually either 7 or 8mm and can be accessed from the top of the engine. The wiring connector that goes to them has a small tab you press down to release, press down on it gently or it may break, the plastics gets brittle with age and heat - ask me how I know I would get replacements from either rock auto (Ford/Motorcraft) or Napa, I had to get one from Advance once and it was dead in 6 months.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Coil or MAF.

If you haven't done a fuel filter in a long time, it would be good to replace it anyways.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to update yall on this issue and let you know that it was indeed a bad coil pack issue. I replaced it for $50 and 20 mins time and was back on the road!

Thanks yall!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm assuming you mean a 4.6 V-8 (not V-6).  If I'm right, I have the same motor in my Crown Vic.

Good motors.

Coil problems are common, but I wonder if you are still having problems with the intake manifold...bad seal or cracked manifold.

Quoted:
I forgot to update yall on this issue and let you know that it was indeed a bad coil pack issue. I replaced it for $50 and 20 mins time and was back on the road!

Thanks yall!

Reading is fundamental...sorry!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So it seems as if vehicles always have problems at the most inopportune moments.

Today while accelerating from a stoplight i noticed that my 2004 Ford F-150 Heritage edition 4.6L V6 (basically a 2003) was jerking while accelerating like the engine was missing. No check engine light was on and it doesnt seem to do it while cruising, just while accelerating and under load.

Also, while sitting at the light i stomped the gas and while the engine was first spooling up it missed a little too.

Also, there was no check engine light on. I did replace the upper and lower intake manifold gasket about a month ago. Aside from that the engine has had no maintenance aside from regular oil changes. Its still on the same plugs and wires and fuel filter and belts and everything.

Can anyone offer any advice? Like everybody else, i need this truck for work.

There's your problem.  Still on the same original fuel filters?  And your wondering why it's running like crap???  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That was the 5.4 triton crap

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top