Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 8:54:44 AM EDT
Ok guys in about 6 months i will be getting a truck.Something that will be 4 doors and some what of a back cab.So i was thinking of the 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche.

I would like to hear any pros and cons about the Chevrolet Avalanche .And if u own one plz post ur opinions.

Thnx
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Those trucks are butt-fucking ugly with all that plastic crap around the bottom.  The Caddy version isn't quite as bad.
Personally, I think they're trying to do so many things that they don't do anything well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
and DO NOT get a Ford SporTrak...I know they are topheavy and uncomfortable.  

I dumped mine and got a Volvo wagon (used).
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear the avalanches have GREAT suspenison, and soak up bumps gladly and easily... Yet sadly the plastic panneling cannot take the stress of serious off roading as it tends to "come off" with use above and beyond the call of duty.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Christ, for that matter don't buy any Explorer!
The sport trac isn't a tuck, it's an SUV with the ass cut off.
Unfortunately Ford is making the F150 look just like it, so I guess the one I have now will be my last one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
While the Avalanche in its current form is BFU Chevrolet is supposed to release a deplastified version sometime within the next year.  If that floats your boat get it instead.  However, I will warn you that I have not heard favorable things about the conversion hatch.  I have heard that it is LOUD and can be dirty if you are traveling in dusty conditions.

Personally, I would just find a Silverado with a crew cab or an extended cab.  If you haven't been in the 15000 extended cab you may be surprised how roomy it can be.  I reguarly haul 4 adults quite comfortably in the truck without complaints.  Additionally, the extended cab will save you $$$ over the Avalanche or the crew cab, and it will not sacrafice cargo capacity like the Avalanche.

You might also want to look at the F-150 Super Crew, however I hate Ford's gasoline powerplants.

SBG
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I would get the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD V6 ...if you need something bigger they are coming out with the Tundra Double Cab V8 soon.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]
i share scary's opinion on ford gasoline engines completely, but thats besides the point

my take on the avalanche........is that its an ugly as hammered shit truck, but with some fairly neat ass little gadgets on it

another plus...........you can get them in a 3/4 ton version that comes only one way, know what that way is?  8.1L (496ci) backed by a 5 speed automatic Allison tranny, just like my truck!!!!!!!!!!  damn i love that engine
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would get the Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD V6 ...if you need something bigger they are coming out with the Tundra Double Cab V8 soon.
View Quote

I was juss looking at the  Tundra Double Cab V8 and it looks pretty nice..I think im leading towards that now.I can get a good prices on toyotas.

Are the tundras pretty good also?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll settle this!
I have a 2002 Avalanche Z71. It rides very nice on the highway rides very smooth and handles great. Lot's of room for whatever you need to carry. Gas mileage is not that great in town. The Z71 has 4wd and so that may hurt the gas mileage a bit. Mine has leather interior and all the perks. It has never given me any trouble at all. It is butt ugly but it's cool, not the norm but then again who wants to be normal. Overall it's a great truck!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
bump
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine has one and loves it.  I was ragging on him about all the plastic crap on it.  I told him it reminded me of the guys with the whale tails and plastic visors and plastic window grill and big ass flared wheel wells.  I told him it lookes T-Jetic.....like what a tijuanero would drive.  Oh man, he didn't like that.  Then I told him all he needed was a couple big ass Brahma bull stickers for the doors.  What the hell is it with those damn stickers anyways?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget Nissan is coming out with a full size truck with and without crew cab designs.  If it has the Infinity V8 it should be a good truck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I been lookin real hard at a v 70 wagon, did you get the 70 or the 90?
lebrew
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
04 Colorado is comming out soon, I dunno about the 5cyl idea, thats about as normal as a football bat.  but has alot less plastic stuff on it.. still nice looking than that ford thing with a 2ft box on it.  

[url]http://www.berglundcommercial.com/2004colorado.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#15]
For all the gouge on Toyota Trucks check out the forum Yotatech.com

I've got the Tacoma Double Cab...OUTSTANDING TRUCK...my only complaint is that its a bit dinky compared to the Tundra.

I've never met a person who lived to regret their purchase of a Toyota truck.  Most of the vehicles last much much longer than the person intends to keep it.

Just FYI...the Avalance was rated one of the worst vehicles for being prone to Rollover accidents.  (According to AOL news)
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#16]
According to that article, the I5 has 25 more HP and gets 3 more MPG than the V6 it replaces.

What's not to like?

I had a Blazer with the V6 vortec and it was a POS. They couldn't seem to make an intake manifold that worked on that engine. I replaced it 3 times before I had a car-b-que and got rid of the damn thing. I used just about as much coolant as gas in that thing. When it was working, it was great.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#17]
My vote would be Tundra extra cab.  It is extended enough for whatever or whoever needs to go in the back.  It fits 2 BIG guys fairly comfortably (sitting kinda sideways) and 4 average girls packed (sometimes it's GOOD to be the DD).

I tried the Tacoma, but couldn't get enough leg room even in the front (driving or passenger).  Also didn't like the engine any where NEAR as much as the i-force V-8.  I got mine used in '01 as a program car w/ 2,300 mi. on it, full warranty, and most of the goodies.

It's the best vehicle I've ever owned or driven (I'm 30), and I can't say enough for Toyota quality and service.  It was more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
The avalanche is second only to the pontiac aztec as the ugliest POS I've ever seen. [puke]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Slacko is correct...the I-force V8 rocks.  You can also get it supercharged for something like an extra 3grand.  

The Tundra should be available as a 4 door soon.  According to the Toyota website its gonna be an 04 model and is marketed as "The Biggest Toyota Truck We Have Ever Built".

I'm gonna be selling my 02 Tacoma Double Cab in order to get an 04 4runner V8.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#21]
The Aztec is so ugly, that it's actually starting to grow on me.
I saw one the other day, and couldn't stop staring.
It's one wierd ride.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
According to that article, the I5 has 25 more HP and gets 3 more MPG than the V6 it replaces.

What's not to like?

I had a Blazer with the V6 vortec and it was a POS. They couldn't seem to make an intake manifold that worked on that engine. I replaced it 3 times before I had a car-b-que and got rid of the damn thing. I used just about as much coolant as gas in that thing. When it was working, it was great.
View Quote

Did't say I didn't like it, but an I5 is just odd or something... More amusing than anything...  I think the last thing to have a 5cyl was the early VW Scirroco(sp?) which IIRC also made an appearance in some of the  Porsches..

My sister has a 93 w vin 4.3, after 110k miles, I had to replace the CPI (fuel injection), runs good as new again, It sucks that the part is $480bucks, but to buy at "cost" is about $250.
But overall the engine has plenty of snaut to move the 4door blazer. 4.3 "W" is probably my favorite 6cyl Chevy made.   Favorite 6cyl ever is the Ford 300 I6.      

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't forget Nissan is coming out with a full size truck with and without crew cab designs.  If it has the Infinity V8 it should be a good truck.
View Quote

yep, kind of ugly but 300hp & 375lb-ft 5.6L v-8
5spd auto & DANA axles & more good stuff

[url]www.freshalloy.com[/url]
[url]www.nissanusa.com[/url]
[url]www.nissannews.com[/url]

the Avalanche is on the ugly side but NO cladding models are at the dealers as we speak
one nice thing about the Avalanche is it utilizes the Suburban frame which has fully box sectioned frame rails unlike the half-ton trucks that still use U shaped frame rails
a friend has a Z71 model & it's extremely useful vehicle, good off-road too

can't go wrong with a Toyota product either
Tundra is nice

only Fords I like are the powerstroke diesels, especially the new 325hp 560lb-ft 6.0L

FWIW
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#24]
What's the point of being able to flip the back down anyway?  I used to have a '79 Blazer that I went 4X4ing in.  In the summer I used to roll the back window down.  Do you know how much dust and shit would roll right off the back tires and into the truck?  

Just my opinion but that whole Avalanche thing sames kinda useless to me.  But to each you own.  I'f you're happy with it that's all that matters.  BTW, I drive a Silver '03 2500 heavy duty quad cab Hemi.  Awesome truck!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Thnx for all the info fellas.

I went to a couple of dealers yesterday and this is what i thought

Avalanche:To me its not that ugly [:p] but yeahh i finally saw all that plastic at the bottom that makes it very unattractive.But the things i like about the avalanche is that that it has actual 4 doors and when i sat at the back i was pretty comfortable (im 5'9) and the actual bed is the perfect size that i want.if they can replace all that plastic in the bottom i would take the avalanche.

Tocoma:The back passanger space is great lots of room..But the bed is too small for what i need.

Tundra V8 Access cab SR5:perfect size for a truck that i want..Bed is perfect size..Looks nice.But the only quam i have is the doors you have to open the front to open the rear.and the back passangers size is kinda small.

Tundra V8 access cab SR5 Stepside:I have not seen this one up close due to the fact they didnt have one.(i will go today to check one out)But from in the pictures  [url=http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/toyota/tundra/100163035/photos.html?tid=edmunds.n.prices.leftsidenav..12.Toyota*]Tundra V8 access cab SR5 Stepside[/url]
The exterion and interior is very nice.

So im leaning towrads the v8 tundra with the stepside.i will sacrifice the passengers comfort for the bigger bed..

and the chevy colorado looks nice also [url]http://www.berglundcommercial.com/2004colorado.htm[/url] but i would have to see it upclose?

Any other suggestions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top