Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 6:00:51 PM EDT
I am looking to trade my Jeep right now for a 02 F250 with 161,xxx miles on it. I know those arent to high of miles on a diesel motor but what else should I look out for on this truck? What are the weak parts on it? I have worked on plenty of gas motors but Ive never owned a diesel. Mainly I plan for this to be my daily driver and latter on down the road to tow a trail rig so I wont be doing much heavy pulling.

Also dose anyone know what it typically cost to fill up and how long one tank of diesel will last?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:02:51 AM EDT
Is it a 7.3 or the 6.0? There are a lot of issues with the 6.0s but the 7.3 is good to go. Slow but dependable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:21:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Interceptor:
Is it a 7.3 or the 6.0? There are a lot of issues with the 6.0s but the 7.3 is good to go. Slow but dependable.

'02 is 7.3.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:26:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dave15:
Originally Posted By Interceptor:

'02 is 7.3.

That is correct. Im still talking to the owner but I think I may go look at it soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:45:57 AM EDT
I just got rid of my 2000 with 220,000 on the clock. Those diesels are heavy and hard on ball joints and front brakes. Mine was a crew cab so it had around a 28 gallon tank, so you can do the math on cost to fill it. Figure on a 17-20 MPG average depending on how you drive, which is good for such a heavy truck. Honestly, unless you are towing a lot, I think a half ton gas truck is a better option. It is more quiet, fuel is less expensive, and repairs are cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:47:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Marsh_Rat:
I just got rid of my 2000 with 220,000 on the clock. Those diesels are heavy and hard on ball joints and front brakes. Mine was a crew cab so it had around a 28 gallon tank, so you can do the math on cost to fill it. Figure on a 17-20 MPG average depending on how you drive, which is good for such a heavy truck. Honestly, unless you are towing a lot, I think a half ton gas truck is a better option. It is more quiet, fuel is less expensive, and repairs are cheaper.

And it's cheaper to maintain. No expensive injectors, turbos ( unless you buy an Ecoboost), fuel filters, and expensive oil changes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:59:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheGunCollector:
Originally Posted By Marsh_Rat:

And it's cheaper to maintain. No expensive injectors, turbos ( unless you buy an Ecoboost), fuel filters, and expensive oil changes.

Exactly. Oil changes for the diesel take 15 quarts and the filters are around $10. Fuel filters are also another expense. I was lucky, as I was on the original turbo and injectors. If you are not rich or can't work on it yourself, stay away. As an example, you can figure on a $2,800 bill to have all 8 changed. Basically, everything costs more on the diesels.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:38:28 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to keep looking around. The person with the truck just all of a sudden backed out so Im on the hunt again.
Top Top