Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2012 6:00:51 PM EDT
I am looking to trade my Jeep right now for a 02 F250 with 161,xxx miles on it. I know those arent to high of miles on a diesel motor but what else should I look out for on this truck? What are the weak parts on it? I have worked on plenty of gas motors but Ive never owned a diesel. Mainly I plan for this to be my daily driver and latter on down the road to tow a trail rig so I wont be doing much heavy pulling.

Also dose anyone know what it typically cost to fill up and how long one tank of diesel will last?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it a 7.3 or the 6.0? There are a lot of issues with the 6.0s but the 7.3 is good to go. Slow but dependable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it a 7.3 or the 6.0? There are a lot of issues with the 6.0s but the 7.3 is good to go. Slow but dependable.

'02 is 7.3.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

'02 is 7.3.

That is correct. Im still talking to the owner but I think I may go look at it soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got rid of my 2000 with 220,000 on the clock.  Those diesels are heavy and hard on ball joints and front brakes.  Mine was a crew cab so it had around a 28 gallon tank, so you can do the math on cost to fill it.  Figure on a 17-20 MPG average depending on how you drive, which is good for such a heavy truck.  Honestly, unless you are towing a lot, I think a half ton gas truck is a better option.  It is more quiet, fuel is less expensive, and repairs are cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just got rid of my 2000 with 220,000 on the clock.  Those diesels are heavy and hard on ball joints and front brakes.  Mine was a crew cab so it had around a 28 gallon tank, so you can do the math on cost to fill it.  Figure on a 17-20 MPG average depending on how you drive, which is good for such a heavy truck.  Honestly, unless you are towing a lot, I think a half ton gas truck is a better option.  It is more quiet, fuel is less expensive, and repairs are cheaper.

And it's cheaper to maintain.  No expensive injectors, turbos ( unless you buy an Ecoboost), fuel filters, and expensive oil changes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's cheaper to maintain.  No expensive injectors, turbos ( unless you buy an Ecoboost), fuel filters, and expensive oil changes.

Exactly.  Oil changes for the diesel take 15 quarts and the filters are around $10.  Fuel filters are also another expense.  I was lucky, as I was on the original  turbo and injectors.  If you are not rich or can't work on it yourself, stay away.  As an example, you can figure on a $2,800 bill to have all 8 changed.  Basically, everything costs more on the diesels.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to keep looking around. The person with the truck just all of a sudden backed out so Im on the hunt again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top