Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 8:43:16 AM EDT
Picked up a used one for my kids, 13 and 11, to learn on. It runs and starts ok but is tuned "rich" per the previous owner. I would like to set it to normal or just slightly rich until the kids are more comfortable on it and can ride well.

It leaks gas when tilted to the right, supposedly needs floats cleaned, how would I go about that?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull the carb and take it apart, they're very simple so it shouldn't difficult. Get some Berrymans carb cleaner and spray all the passages with the nozzle right up against the carb.The float level probly needs to be adjusted, theres a tab on the float that pushes the needle closed, just bend that slightly away from the needle. Spray everything clean with the Berrymans....

A piece of clear fuel line pushed over the drain nipple on the bottom of the float bowl makes it very easy to see the actual fuel level, just hold it up against the carb body and open the drain.... fuel level will be visible in the hose.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Alright, will clean it out good.

Any idea on the proper settings once cleaned?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the float level before you change it so you know where you started from.  The float level can be changed by 1mm to lower the level to help with fuel overflowing out of the carb while you ride it.  The float bounces and lets a little fuel out while riding.

Make sure the air filter is in good condition(no dry rot) and clean.  There are filter cleaning kits available that make it easier to do.  You can oil the filter by placing it in a plastic bag with some filter oil and gently squeezing the oil into the filter.  

Put a new spark plug of the proper heat range in the engine and run it for a while.  If the spark plug comes out damp and sooty you will need to decrease the fuel.  The first step is to lower the needle in the slide valve.  Move the clip 2 grooves towards the top of the needle.  Place the needle on a flat surface with the open end of the clip down.  Hold one finger on the clip and push down on the needle.  Reinstall by positioning the clip in the groove and then pushing on the closed end of the clip.  This will keep the clip from sailing off into space.

Run it some more and see if the plug dries out better.  It can be dark coffee with cream colored and that will be fine.  It should not foul constantly.  Keep a spare spark plug on hand in case it does.

Good luck and have fun!

Try to find a book on carburetor tuning a study it.  A properly tuned carburetor will run well and idle good so the rider doesn't have to be stalling and starting all the time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again guys, will do.

Pics of my son and the YZ

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
While you are at the MC shop get some exhaust silencer replacement packing.  These can become oil soaked and plugged causing running problems and excess noise.  If the old packing is burnt on to the screen your can burn it off by putting it in a small fire.  Trash can or camp fire.  It will smoke and stink.

If you plan to ride in the woods or public lands you will need a silencer with a spark arrestor.  There are add-on spark arrestors that attach to the end of the silencer.

That bike looks like it can be upgraded with larger wheels.  Check with a shop.  From the pics it looks like it could use new tires.

Does you son have good protective gear?  Helmet,  boots,  gloves,  knee and elbow protectors.

Have fun!  You do realize that you will need to get a bike to ride with him
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does you son have good protective gear?  Helmet,  boots,  gloves,  knee and elbow protectors.

Have fun!  You do realize that you will need to get a bike to ride with him

Right now he has Helmet, boots, and gloves. The store was out of chest protectors and the other stuff.
I let him ride it in a flat grass field just to start learning the clutch and shifting.
Stalled it a ton while taking off but got it after a while. Just went through 1-2-3 and back down.

Had a great time, while he was riding and the bike was fully warmed up it was smoking less.
He was just going around slow and careful, just thrilled to be riding.
I got on it and opened it up, cannot believe the power of 80cc's to move my 200lbs. It surprised me by wanting to wheelie on the 1-2 shift and really ripping through the field. It also "sounded right" so I don't think I was right initially about the tune being off. I will pull the plug and check too. So far it was a pretty good trade for an SAR2.

Thanks for the help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top