Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 5:03:45 PM EDT
i have a 2001 International 4900 dump truck, with a DT466 E IHC diesel motor. its having starting issues now... that goes something like this...

i am having problems with the truck starting once in a while, very randomly, and seems to have gotten worse.

turn the key- loud "click" from the starter- but no spin. repeat, repeat, repeat X number of times, then she'll finally spin and fire up.

i took 5-6 positive wires off of the starter, 7 black wires off of the starter, sand papered the ends, looked for breaks, and ground down the big ground wire connections + frame spot, the only thing i didnt clean was the small wire connection 9 another ground ? )  on the engine block because its behind the fuel filter and i ran out of time.

tonight, no start at all no matter how many times i turned the key, but then with a tap on the top of the starter, the small spot ( solenoid ? ) it started, worked off and on, then started fine for 4-5 times, any advice ??

its got 2 brand new 1000-1100 cold cranking amps batteries.

can i rule out the ignition, since it always "clicks" at the starter? i know the old owner hooked jumper cables right up to the starter itself when trying to jump it this winter, can that cause problems? could the main body of the starter be bad? or, could it be as simple as the smaller top part ( i think its called the solenoid ? )

thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
well, ill bump this and see if the night crew has any opinions on the matter

the old owner of the truck emailed me after i posted this and said "The starter isnt that old, i replaced it when it would "zing" and not engage the flywheel"

so im guessing he put a remanufactured starter in there, and maybe the replaced solenoid shit out.

another member here on ARFcom says i could try jumping between the starter and solenoid and see if that spins the starter, and if so, that proves the solenoid is bad.

anyways, bump for night crew. im worn pretty thin on a few issues and problems, and could use all the advice and help i can get.

thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya really need to hook up a voltmeter to the big lug that goes from the starter solenoid to the starter and see what V there is when cranking to be sure. If there is batt. V and it doesn't crank, it's in the starter. Check it at the batt. lead on the solenoid if there is no or little V when cranking on that terminal. That will tell if there is good power coming in as well as if the solenoid is bad.

some of the DT's have a starter interrupt circuit too, not sure what year that was used. It uses a signal from the ECM (computer) to interrupt the start circuit so someone can't accidentally engage the starter when the engine is running. Sounds like the startewr itself is the cause though due to it working when you tapped on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Starter relay or starter solinoid most likely
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Starter relay or starter solinoid most likely

Or when they rebuilt the starter they didn't check the armature and it still has a dead spot in it.

Some things are worth buying new.

Definitely start with a volt meter at the solenoid and make sure you have voltage to the signal wire while in the crank position on the ignition switch.

If you do then get solenoid if you want to try that.

Or just buy a new starter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You are 'Guessing" the guy put in a reman.  Could just as easily be a junkyard part.  Or a junkyard part somebody painted & sold to him as a reman.

Buy a new starter, & replace the whole thing.  Then you can tear the old one down at your leisure & decide if it is worth fixing.  Can't let a 200 buck part idle a commercial vehicle.

NEW starter for DT466 E

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top