Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2018 1:31:25 AM EDT
so I have an old commuter car, 2001 Camry,  I'm driving along and hear a very low pitched sound,  almost like a tire is delaminating or something. I almost feel it more than hear it.

Few minutes later,  I turn a corner and car is suddenly dead. No loud bangs, just died.

it'll turn over but not start, and there is steam coming out from the timing cover belt, and water leaking on the ground from under where the timing belt cover is.

It's dark now, I'll look at it tomorrow, but any ideas what it could be?

I'm thinking

- blown head gasket maybe
- blown heater hose behind the block, but I think it would start, not just turn over.

it's got 205k miles on it. I might just donate it and get another one....

Update I: timing belt definitely horked, it's separated.
Update II: Definitely the water pump,  I can barely turn it by hand and it's crunchy inside
Update III: New timing belt in, started right up. Drove to work,  but hope I didn't ruin the transmission.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
4 cylinder?  The water pump is driven by the timing belt.  If the pump seized and broke the belt the 4cylinders are non interference engines, so there isn't any chance of valve damage.  Slap on a new pump and belt and it will be good for another 100k miles
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
My guess is water pump.  Replace water pump and timing belt.  If you still like the car and everything else is in good shape, I would probably repair and keep driving.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4 cylinder?  The water pump is driven by the timing belt.  If the pump seized and broke the belt the 4cylinders are non interference engines, so there using any chance of valve damage.  Slap on a new pump and belt and it will be good for another 100k miles
View Quote
Yup. Sounds like water pump seized to me. New timing belt and water pump, ready for another 100k miles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Whats the rest of the car like?  Transmission, suspension?  Interior, electronics?

If the answer is good to those, then even a 2k repair would be economically smart and probably give you another 100k miles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Three options here:

1. Sell car for $500, go buy another Camry just like it for $500.
2. Give a mechanic $350-$500, let them fix it, keep on driving.
3. Do it yourself for $100
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
those years the 4cylinders had a bad run of castings, and would pull the threads out of the block, causing the head gasket to blow/leak.  i did a 2003 highlander a couple years back, had to order a kit similar to a timesert, but the process was simple but time consuming.

pull everything apart and get the head off, drill out each of the head bolt holes, re-thread and then set steel insert one at a time.  once done, new HG and then put all the damn accessories back on and hope it starts.

after that it should be GTG.

EDIT:  i bought the highlander for a grand from a coworker that had owned it since new, and had meticulously maintained it at the dealership for 114k miles.  I spent 500 on taxes and registration, 500 on parts and the insert tools, and sold it for 6500.  unless your camry is super clean and straight, its probably time for the junkyard.   FWIW, the dealer quoted her 4 grand to do the thread repair job.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Three options here:

View Quote
$500?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whats the rest of the car like?  Transmission, suspension?  Interior, electronics?

If the answer is good to those, then even a 2k repair would be economically smart and probably give you another 100k miles.
View Quote
hard question,  I mean it's got 200K on it  overall it runs and drives great though. It's got mild cosmetic issues but it's cheap as crap to drive.

AND I literally JUST put a brand new EGR system in it, which was a #$%$@#$@#$@#$@#$ to do,  that VSV valve location.  And it's got a rebuilt tranny a year ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4 cylinder?  The water pump is driven by the timing belt.  If the pump seized and broke the belt the 4cylinders are non interference engines, so there isn't any chance of valve damage.  Slap on a new pump and belt and it will be good for another 100k miles
View Quote
I would have never guessed a water pump would bring a car down like that.

I'll pull the belt cover off and look it it.  That set of symptoms sounds plausible.

Just hoping it's not the head/gasket. That's a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three options here:

$500? https://cdn-w.v12soft.com/photos/DnvtR1D/10260711/7F4EAAC2-1F75-4660-9925-81B4436AD551_800600.jpg
How the F do you end up with a Solara Convertible when searching for 2001 Camry?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:58:31 AM EDT
[#11]
first post strikes again!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#12]
The water pump is run by the timing belt. It leaked and caused the belt to slip. It's not an interference engine so it's ok. New water pump, new belt, new idler pulleys and it'll run for another 100k. Easy job but takes awhile.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Timing belts and antifreeze don't play well together.  

It could also be the bearing in the pump wore out, allowing antifreeze to come out the weep hole.  After enough antifreeze got on the belt, bye-bye teeth on the belt.  This is why most shops will replace the WP when they do the belt.  Cheap insurance.

Hardest part will be resetting the timing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would have never guessed a water pump would bring a car down like that.

I'll pull the belt cover off and look it it.  That set of symptoms sounds plausible.

Just hoping it's not the head/gasket. That's a pain in the ass.
View Quote
Sounds like a good plan.

At least there is only one head

Is there water in theoil?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I think those have a timing chain.  Or did that start in 02?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It could also be the bearing in the pump wore out, allowing antifreeze to come out the weep hole.  After enough antifreeze got on the belt, bye-bye teeth on the belt.  This is why most shops will replace the WP when they do the belt.  Cheap insurance.

View Quote
No
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
hard question,  I mean it's got 200K on it  overall it runs and drives great though. It's got mild cosmetic issues but it's cheap as crap to drive.

AND I literally JUST put a brand new EGR system in it, which was a #$%$@#$@#$@#$@#$ to do,  that VSV valve location.  And it's got a rebuilt tranny a year ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO it's worth at least pulling the timing cover to diagnose the problem. At that point you're already halfway there if all it needs is a water pump and timing components.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#18]
The Toyota owner mantra strikes again "just oil changes and tires".

You know you're supposed to maintain a vehicle right?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for water pump
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#20]
FPNI

Seriously OP, if your timing belt or water pump failed and you over heated so bad it shut off, there is no install a new pump and timing belt and it’s fixed.

Likely you blew the head gasket as well if you ran it until it shut off on it’s own. If the belt didn’t snap and simply the water pump impeller or bearing failed, you cooked the motor.

If the belt failed you may be ok. It is work inspecting and not assuming what failed.

$100 fix my, yea ok...
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think those have a timing chain.  Or did that start in 02?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#22]
At least do some work to diagnose - if just the water pump awesome. Fairly cheap / easy to get running again, replacing coolant is expensive part.
That said - anytime water leaking externally from block area, could be bad. At least take look make sure nothing is cracked / blown out.  If run hot, head may have cracked / warped or blown gasket. Be sure to check / test before spending too much.

Last week did brake booster for an elder neighbors '94 Corolla - that was interesting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yup. Sounds like water pump seized to me. New timing belt and water pump, ready for another 100k miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4 cylinder?  The water pump is driven by the timing belt.  If the pump seized and broke the belt the 4cylinders are non interference engines, so there using any chance of valve damage.  Slap on a new pump and belt and it will be good for another 100k miles
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How the F do you end up with a Solara Convertible when searching for 2001 Camry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three options here:

$500? https://cdn-w.v12soft.com/photos/DnvtR1D/10260711/7F4EAAC2-1F75-4660-9925-81B4436AD551_800600.jpg
Because the Solara is a Camry.  It's official name was the Camry Solara, and it's really just a sporty 2 door Camry.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#25]
If the rest of the car is in good shape and you like it, have the water pump and timing belt replaced. It'll cost, what? $500 - 750?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Time for the junkyard, that motor (or probably just the head) is toast.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Notice any chirping noises or a faint smell of coolant or loss of coolant before this happened?   Water pumps sometimes let you know the bearing/seal is going bad before the bearing completely gives out and dumps coolant.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Fix the car on the cheap, buy more gun stuff!  A one time repair will be cheaper that a long series of payments.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seriously OP, if your timing belt or water pump failed and you over heated so bad it shut off, there is no install a new pump and timing belt and it’s fixed.

Likely you blew the head gasket as well if you ran it until it shut off on it’s own. If the belt didn’t snap and simply the water pump impeller or bearing failed, you cooked the motor.

If the belt failed you may be ok. It is work inspecting and not assuming what failed.

$100 fix my, yea ok...
View Quote
From his description it does not sound like it overheated. If the timing belt broke, it would immediately shut off and it will not start.

Timing belt and water pump kit
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’ve done mine twice. Timing is easy. Getting the crank pulley off it the hard part

If you pull have to pull the timing cover go ahead and replace water pump, cam and crank seals, pull the oil pump and re seal. I pulled mine and the shaft was worn and had to be replaced. Replace idler pulleys and tensioner. Buy the kit online it comes with all this....
Also you’ll need a spark plug oil tube seals
When you pull the plug wires don’t be alarmed if there is oil on the bottom of the boots, it’s just the tube seals leaking.
Make sure you reseal the valve covers with permatex  black or toyota brand really good, there are like 3 critical spots that will leak on them if you don’t, one is on the back passenger side one is near a “key way” you can see when you pull it off

While you have the valve covers off you mights as well adjust the valves, you just need some feeler gauges.

Get a chilton manual and torque everything correctly especially the big nuts that hold on the valve cover
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
how do I even do this? I have been worried about this all night.   I'm still recovering from the  damn flu so I couldn't get into it today but I have no idea how to reset the timing.

from watching a video it looks like I can use a 19mm to turn the crank to line up the marks, and turn the cam pulleys with maybe a strap wrench, but not sure how to tell if they are on intake or exhaust parts of the cycle based on the marks.

Most Chilton type manuals cover how to change a belt before it is broke, not how to unscramble it if the belt broke.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan.

At least there is only one head

Is there water in theoil?
View Quote
no water in the oil, first thing I checked and what confused me.  Oil is brand new and I'd smell/see it immediately. It's completely clean.

BTW sorry my responses are so spotty, I've been flat on my ass with the flu for a week,  I can still only stand up for a few minutes at a time
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FPNI

$100 fix my, yea ok...
View Quote
didn't overheat,  I know that.  I was going down the road,  hear this very very low rumble,  I thought I had a bulge on a tire or about to get a flat. I started watching everything reaaal close.  temp was normal when it just died.

guessing the timing belt either had a piece come off, or the water pump started to fail, that's the real low sound I heard,  and it locked up and sheared the belt.  When it died there was steam/water coming out of the timing belt cover,  coolant leaking out of the cover under the car, and a sort of a burnt rubber/clutch smell, which I'm guess was the belt burning over the water pump when it seized.

this is all just what I remember from when it died.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#34]
"200k is nothing for a Toyota." -GD

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Time for the junkyard, that motor (or probably just the head) is toast.
View Quote
Not really I had a 22r get a hole in the front cover and poured water in the oil and my son drove it home with steam rolling out.

I pulled the head and oil pan, had the head shaved because it was warped and replaced the timing chain, cover and water pump.

Cleaned the water oil pudding out of the oil pan and put her all back together.

Think I spent $600 in parts and having the head shaved and cleaned.

This was in 2010 and I still drive that truck and it runs fine.

My truck is a 94 4x4 and she has 280k miles.

Not sure about the Camery, but his engine wasn't in bad as shape as mine so he might be ok.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
those years the 4cylinders had a bad run of castings, and would pull the threads out of the block, causing the head gasket to blow/leak.  i did a 2003 highlander a couple years back, had to order a kit similar to a timesert, but the process was simple but time consuming.

pull everything apart and get the head off, drill out each of the head bolt holes, re-thread and then set steel insert one at a time.  once done, new HG and then put all the damn accessories back on and hope it starts.

after that it should be GTG.

EDIT:  i bought the highlander for a grand from a coworker that had owned it since new, and had meticulously maintained it at the dealership for 114k miles.  I spent 500 on taxes and registration, 500 on parts and the insert tools, and sold it for 6500.  unless your camry is super clean and straight, its probably time for the junkyard.   FWIW, the dealer quoted her 4 grand to do the thread repair job.
View Quote
Nein, homeboy.
The Highlander was a 2azfe, which is chain driven. That's the one that had the problem with head bolts. His is a 2.2 if I recall correctly with a timing belt.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]
???Toyota has a great reputation......keep on fixing chit, and they keep on running???
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s true, but they do need timing belts and other wear parts replaced every few years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If the rest of the car is in good shape and you like it, have the water pump and timing belt replaced. It'll cost, what? $500 - 750?
View Quote
$200 in parts probably, no more than $350.  fwd, so say 2.5 hours of work for a first timer? No more than 4, I don’t believe you need to yank the engine to get to it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
???Toyota has a great reputation......keep on fixing chit, and they keep on running???
View Quote
"My Toyota has 300k on it and all it's ever needed was oil, filters, tires, water pump, timing belt, and transmission!" -GD

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's true, but they do need timing belts and other wear parts replaced every few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true, but they do need timing belts and other wear parts replaced every few years.
"I didn't maintain the car. Must be the cars fault".
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Toyota owner mantra strikes again "just oil changes and tires".

You know you're supposed to maintain a vehicle right?
View Quote
205K you need timing belts and alternators and water pumps.  Most I've put on a Toyota is 356K and I sold it for $500 running to Mexicans with a TX plate...

But you have the history of the car - fix it and keep grinding out the miles.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Here's what you do
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Because the Solara is a Camry.  It's official name was the Camry Solara, and it's really just a sporty 2 door Camry.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three options here:

I know that.

You know that.

Everyone else knows that.

At the same time, we all know the OP isn't talking about no stinking Solara, so why the F would you bring it up?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
The "solara" is a camry "solara" they do not call it a coupe/convertible.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nein, homeboy.
The Highlander was a 2azfe, which is chain driven. That's the one that had the problem with head bolts. His is a 2.2 if I recall correctly with a timing belt.
View Quote
2001 with a 2.2L gas engine. Timing belt on the L side of engine bay (Passenger side).

The advantage to fixing this is I just put an entirely new catalytic converter and EGR system in it to pass emissions. Like,  500 miles or less ago.

of course the temptation with these cars is "just fix this one last thing" when it just keeps breaking.

FWIW, this car burns no oil at all, engine seems in good shape otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I also vote for water pump & timing belt.

It could be worse...

On the older 22R motors, they had a similar setup with the water pump being mounted as part of the timing chain cover. There is also a spring tensioner inside the cover for the timing chain.

Apparently, if one were to let the tensioner wear out, there's enough slack in the timing chain to start digging into the side of the aluminum timing chain cover, eventually breaching all the way through into the water pump. This floods the crankcase with coolant, mimicking the symptoms of a blown head gasket.

I picked up the truck for cheap as a project, thinking it was just a simple head gasket replacement. I was amazed when I took the timing chain cover off and saw the deep gouges worn completely through the side of the housing. I lucked out and was able to rob another timing chain cover off of a friend's spare motor.

As I said, it could be worse...

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
2001 with a 2.2L gas engine. Timing belt on the L side of engine bay (Passenger side).

The advantage to fixing this is I just put an entirely new catalytic converter and EGR system in it to pass emissions. Like,  500 miles or less ago.

of course the temptation with these cars is "just fix this one last thing" when it just keeps breaking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nein, homeboy.

Even if you pay to have work done, a month or two of $500 payments on a new car will always cover a year of repairs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Even if you pay to have work done, a month or two of $500 payments on a new car will always cover a year of repairs.
View Quote
Here's an idea:

Pick out a new car you like, and find out what the payments will be. Fix your existing car, and start putting these monthly payments into a repair/down payment fund. Odds are you'll have enough saved up to buy your next car in cash before this one is beyond repair.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Timing the engine is easy. Toyota makes it easy. There are lines one the pulleys that line up with timing marks. Don't sweat it.

I got scared when a cam sprang out of time when I cut the timing belt on a Subaru.

I believe the cam pulleys rotate 2x per crank revolution. That is to exhaust emissions, then intake fresh air for the combustion cycle. Find a forum with a timing belt swap for your car.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top