Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:51:15 PM EDT
Well first the tranny (5 speed) used to slip out of gear, so when it was serviced I told then to check the motor/transmission mounts.

They said all was well.  It got worse - way worse.  I found out a locking nut on the gears wasn't fastened right and the gears were backing off, tearing up the tranny.

Did this through research. It was a recall specific to a certain VIN range.  After I caught them at their gme, they fixed it free.

Now I had a overheating isue last summer.  Had then look - they told me the engine was cooked and I needed a new one.  I drove it another 3K miles - had to add oil and coolant frequently.

Now I find this:

Phase II EJ25 Head Gasket Leak

WWP-99 Service Campaign - Cooling System Conditioner

Subaru has determined that certain 1999 through 2002 model year 2.5L equipped Subaru vehicles may experience an external coolant leak from the cylinder head gaskets. This is the result of normal relative thermal expansion and contraction variations of engine parts. As a precautionary measure, SOA is recommending that a special conditioner be added to the engine cooling system to prevent leaks from occurring or to correct existing leaks.

Only early Phase II 2.5 liter engines are affected by this campaign. Phase I 2.5 liter engines (some 1999 model year and prior years) are not affected. Countermeasures applied to the manufacturing process for those 2002 and later VINS not affected by this campaign have eliminated the need for this campaign to be performed on those vehicles.

In the future, it will be necessary to add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner to the SUBARU vehicle cooling system whenever the engine coolant is replaced. The updated recommended service procedure as well as intervals for coolant replacement will be added to all applicable service manuals. As a reminder, we will include an update page in the owner notification letters that should be added to the Owner’s Manual and Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. We ask you to keep in mind that replacement of fluids (including Subaru Cooling System Conditioner) during inspection and maintenance services are not covered under warranty.

If the vehicle owner has this Service Program repair performed promptly, Subaru will extend coverage under the Subaru Limited Warranty on the vehicle for cylinder head gasket external coolant leaks to a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was delivered to the first retail purchaser. If the vehicle was used as a demonstrator or company vehicle before being sold at retail, warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was first placed in such service. As a further condition for this extended warranty coverage to apply, the vehicle owner must have Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added to the vehicle at any subsequent cooling system services at the interval specified in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet under the heading “Schedule of Inspection and Maintenance Services”.

Dealers will automatically be sent an initial quantity of Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner. Dealer bulletins and affected VIN lists will be mailed to dealers in early February 2004. Owner notification letters are scheduled for mailing in stages.

I never got a letter or notice of any kind and now the car has 107K on it a problem they should have addressed 5 years ago.

WTF

Now what?  I feel like I got scammed.  Opinions?

Poll incoming.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You the original owner?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You the original owner?

Yes
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Call your local dealer and ask.

All manufacturers have programs similar to this - "service only if concern is present."

We can bet what their reaction will be.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Worth a try, the worst you can get is no.   Sometimes they will work with you, ala, you pick up the parts we'll cover the labor, when its out of warranty but not far out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Coolant System Conditioner? WTF is that Caddy tabs(stop leak) or some bull crap like that?
I would raise hell and try to get it fixed. I would also put a for sale sign on it the second you get it back home from being repaired.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coolant System Conditioner? WTF is that Caddy tabs(stop leak) or some bull crap like that? I would raise hell and try to get it fixed. I would also put a for sale sign on it the second you get it back home from being repaired.

I would be less inclined to help people who come to my doorstep, bitching and screaming and raising hell.

Catch more flies with sugar than vinegar, and so on.

Well I always try the reasonable approach first.  Always time to get down and dirty later if it's not effective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top