Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 8:07:49 PM EDT
I know ARMS makes rings with the 1" inserts, but if possible I'd like to find some that are straight-up 1" rings, not 30mm with 1" inserts.

Hell, at this point I might even take non-throwlever rings as long as they're 1" and not 30mm.

any suggestions?

Edit to add....
This is for a RIS or a Swan Sleeve rail.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
For what type of mount?  Leupold makes hand-twist QD types (i.e., 1" rings) for their proprietary mount and for Weaver types.  About $50.00.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have to second the Leupold rings, I bought a set for my AR-10, every other quality ring was a 30mm ring with inserts.  These are top quality and look good as well, they have them in extra high.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Leupold QRW rings Amicus mentions and they work.  They were $42 from [url]www.premierreticles.com[/url].
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, please read the edit.  This is for a Knight's RIS or an ARMS Swan Sleeve.  I don't believe the Leupold rings will work on this.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.  I'd love to be able to buy the Leupold QRW rings for $50 instead of the ARMS for $100+.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Guys, please read the edit.  This is for a Knight's RIS or an ARMS Swan Sleeve.  I don't believe the Leupold rings will work on this.  If I'm wrong, please correct me.  I'd love to be able to buy the Leupold QRW rings for $50 instead of the ARMS for $100+.
View Quote

No guarantees here, but:

I believe that the Knight's RIS system and the ARMS sleeve system use the Military Standard 1913 system.  Please note that the 1913 system was (unless I am misinformed) a beefed-up Weaver system.  As a result, Weaver rings will mount on a 1913 system, but 1913 rings will not (necessarily) mount on a Weaver system.  There may be some play from mounting Weaver rings on a 1913 rail due to the extra space provided in the slots on the rail, unless, that potential is taken account of when mounting the rings to the scope.  Otherwise, all is fine.

Am I right on this?

My edit:  This may read as very technical, and in a way it is, but the upshot should be that Weaver rings will mount on a 1913 rail (Knight's or ARMS).
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just tried one of my Leupold QRW (49856) rings on my Knights RAS. Three observations.

1) The rings will grip and lock down (Can't tell how well they'll maintain that grip over time with recoil).

2) The cross lugs on the QRW are about .03" narrower than that on my GG&G Aimpoint mount, so there can be some forward and backward imprecision when mounting.

FWIW The 1913 slots are about .21" wide, the GG&G lug is .16" and the QRW lug is .13"

3) On the RAS, the throw lever can only be turned 360 degrees when the rail covers are off. Even then there is some contact with the next rail. Suppose you could remove 5/16" from the handle for clearance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Bass Pro carries the 1" Thompson lever rings.  They are very solid in construction.
If you are interested in ARMS stuff, Bushmaster usually has the BEST price!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.
Now I just need to find a shop that carries the QRW rings so I can try it out for myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top