Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/23/2012 3:42:43 PM EDT
I have understood that the "explosive force" of 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 10 sticks of dynamite. Not trying to keep beating on the same topic of the "Joker killings" in CO but it sure does seem to me that a 20 gal full tank full would equal approx. 200 sticks of dynamite. Seems to me that the killer could have done a lot more damage with something along those lines.

Someone should ask the antis why don't they want more gasoline control.

Just a thought

camaro
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have understood that the "explosive force" of 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 10 sticks of dynamite. Not trying to keep beating on the same topic of the "Joker killings" in CO but it sure does seem to me that a 20 gal full tank full would equal approx. 200 sticks of dynamite. Seems to me that the killer could have done a lot more damage with something along those lines.

Just a thought

camaro

not exactly...

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought

camaro

not exactly...  

Which part "not exactly"? The part about the force or the part about him doing more damage? In the part about the force I was just repeating what was explained to me a couple years back.

camaro

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That is if the gas has an ideal mixture with the air (which rarely happens) of around 14:1.     You would be lucky to get a 10% yield.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]

The truth of the matter is that oil is an incredibly high-energy fuel. One gallon of gasoline has the same energy as 63 sticks of dynamite. An average lightning bolt, comprising 500 megajoules of energy, equates to just 3.8 gallons of gasoline. (Think about that the next time you talk on your cell phone while filling your tank!)

http://www.threesources.com/archives/005397.html
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a thought

camaro

not exactly...  

Which part "not exactly"? The part about the force or the part about him doing more damage? In the part about the force I was just repeating what was explained to me a couple years back.

camaro

A gallon of gasoline in liquid form is in no way equivalent to any explosive. Its burn rate doesn't result in an "explosion" per se... thank you Hollywood. It DOES have a very high concentration of energy which is utilized in FAE (Thermobaric) munitions.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
proper atomization is required to get any satisfactory yield from gasoline
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully this is not in too bad of taste.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
It has to be "atomized." That's how a fuel air explosive bomb works. The hard part is dispersing the fuel into a proper density mist and then igniting it.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/fae.htm

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Two stage?   Aerosal it and ignite?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It has to be "atomized." That's how a fuel air explosive bomb works. The hard part is dispersing the fuel into a proper density mist and then igniting it.

Yup, if you don't do it just right, you get a big fire ball, but no  explosion. It has to be ignited AFTER it is atomized completely, not while it is in the process of.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Another thing that I just thought about was how many folks were killed in the OKC bombing. That sicko didn't use firearms, if I'm not mistaken the damage was done with "in laymen's terms" diesel fuel and cowshit.

So there is another thing for the antis since we are "needing more control".....ban diesel and cow shit(even seperately) for the children

camaro
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another thing that I just thought about was how many folks were killed in the OKC bombing. That sicko didn't use firearms, if I'm not mistaken the damage was done with "in laymen's terms" diesel fuel and cowshit.

So there is another thing for the antis since we are "needing more control".....ban diesel and cow shit(even seperately) for the children

camaro

You are mistaken.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The truth of the matter is that oil is an incredibly high-energy fuel. One gallon of gasoline has the same energy as 63 sticks of dynamite. An average lightning bolt, comprising 500 megajoules of energy, equates to just 3.8 gallons of gasoline. (Think about that the next time you talk on your cell phone while filling your tank!)

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The part in red? True story, watch mythbusters.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

camaro

McVey used ammonium nitrate, among other things. And AN was all but banned because of it (it's still legal just hard to find and much more controlled).
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I would think he's referring to the potential for electro-static discharge due to use of a cell phone. May be an urban myth, but why take the chance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

I'm not going into detail on making home made explosives over the internet. But a lot of people get confused when the media talks about fertilizer being used to make bombs. It's actually a couple of specific chemicals that are sometimes used as fertilizer. You can't go in to home depot and pick up any old bag of fertilizer and use it to make things go boom.
The OKC bomb did not have diesel as a component used in the bomb, though it was widely misreported that it was. The chemical used was actually something much more exotic. What was used in the bombing was commercial demolition material they had stolen from a quarrying operation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#20]
A three gallon bucket of gas thrown into the crowd followed by

a source of ignition would have wreaked far more death, injury

and me hem than what happened. If the POS would have done this

and had a sharp machete the results would have been even

worse.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The part in red? True story, watch mythbusters.

Been an RF tech all of my life. Sorry I just don't see 0.3 watts out of a cell phone doing anything. Now a static discharge from you not grounding yourself is very plausible.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Well a five gallon metal gas can half full of gas preped creatively can sure make one hell of a bang and a pretty good size hole..............but not anywhere as big as 20 sticks of dynamite...............uh thats what I heard anyway....
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

I'm not going into detail on making home made explosives over the internet. But a lot of people get confused when the media talks about fertilizer being used to make bombs. It's actually a couple of specific chemicals that are sometimes used as fertilizer. You can't go in to home depot and pick up any old bag of fertilizer and use it to make things go boom.
The OKC bomb did not have diesel as a component used in the bomb, though it was widely misreported that it was. The chemical used was actually something much more exotic. What was used in the bombing was commercial demolition material they had stolen from a quarrying operation.

I never herd of that.... any stories on this with direct link to the theft?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

I didn't read the whole thread to see if this had been posted, but this guy killed 87 people with probably less than half a gallon of gas and two matches.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

Farm use anhydrous ammonia or
ammonium nitrate  .

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

mythbusters has debunked that one already
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

IIRC nitromethane
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Ten sticks of regular dynamite, but only one stick of Black Dynamite.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

Farm use anhydrous ammonia or ammonium nitrate  .  

Im kinda lost with your comment

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-04-26/news/mn-59077_1_oklahoma-city-bomb
The part of the article where they are talking about investigating links to the disappearance of demolition materials, it's an old article that's where they stole it from.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A gallon of gasoline in liquid form is in no way equivalent to any explosive. Its burn rate doesn't result in an "explosion" per se... thank you Hollywood. It DOES have a very high concentration of energy which is utilized in FAE (Thermobaric) munitions.

You're right. I was going to get into burn rates and NEW stuff, but this'll do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

Farm use anhydrous ammonia or ammonium nitrate  .  

You saying this instead of the said 34-0-0 or the use of diesel fuel?

Mixed with diesel. Used to remove stumps in small amounts.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#33]
You know I was trying to steer this thread away from talking about what to use to make your own boom boom. That's not how it seems to be going. Let's get back on target shall we.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

It was ANNM IIRC? And you would still need an explosive booster, RDX or PETN don't exactly grow on trees.

When you look at it through this kind of lens, at least in my opinion, we're lucky this recent asshole chose to use an AR instead of something else. I'd much prefer bullets to bombs. Hell, just think if he had chained the exit doors and torched the place...there would have been a much higher body count
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
yeah I understood that I was asking what I quoted in red of a more exotic material used and no diesel fuel.  This was news to me that  was posted by  AJ1018:
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im pretty sure confirmed that one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#37]
What about potential energy?  I haven't read the thread, but it seems logical if you could utilize all the potential energy of gasoline at once (kinda like dynamite) it might be more...I am probably wrong tho
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just a thought

camaro

not true

explosive force is measured in RE (relative explosive) factor TNT is 1, dynamite is .96, C4 is 1.34, gasoline does not have an RE Factor of 10
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

camaro

You are mistaken.

Well then,

camaro

It was ANNM IIRC? And you would still need an explosive booster, RDX or PETN don't exactly grow on trees.
When you look at it through this kind of lens, at least in my opinion, we're lucky this recent asshole chose to use an AR instead of something else. I'd much prefer bullets to bombs. Hell, just think if he had chained the exit doors and torched the place...there would have been a much higher body count

no they don't but dynamite will work
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Nitro-methane (drag car fuel) and ammonium nitrate fertilizer.

Mix it up correctly and you get a hell of a bomb.

Faster than diesel and ammonium nitrite, but slightly lower total yield.

Remember we went to the moon with kerosene (very close to diesel) and liquid oxygen.

IIRC they used some stolen blasting caps to light it off.

Vaporized gasoline has a huge explosive power.

Use the correct explosive to make the vapor cloud, then light it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No it won't... not without a primary explosive.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im pretty sure confirmed that one.

Im pretty sure your mistaken

Using one’s cell phone while pumping gas/petrol can cause an explosion.

busted

A properly-working cell phone poses almost no danger of igniting gasoline, even when surrounded by gasoline vapor with the optimum fuel-air mix for ignition. The actual risk comes from an electrostatic discharge between a charged driver and the car, often a result of continually getting into and out of the vehicle.

(This myth was revisited in episode 14 and it was busted again.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Gasoline burns, it does not detonate, even when atomized.. however, it makes a HUGE pressure wave when atomized and burned properly, but it's not supersonic, much less thousands of meters per second.. See thermobaric weapons.

ANFO, aka the diesel and fertilizer bomb, detonates.. It's pretty close tannerite and dynamite. Burning vs detonating.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just a thought

camaro

Yeah, we're lucky he didn't think through how to do his job with explosions instead of guns. Could have been much uglier.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dynamite will set off anfo
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Basically the same method as flour or other combustible particulate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Basically the same method as flour or other combustible particulate.

Used to always hear about the grain silos exploding. It would be interesting to see how that works out.

Wouldn't the media and antis shit themselves if someone developed a flour bomb that was capable of killing hundreds of people in a confined space.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dynamite will set off anfo

I will take your low order detonation and raise you... what primary are you going to use to set off your dynamite?

In short, without a primary explosive, you will not detonate ANFO with dynamite.... low order doesn't count.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm willing to bet the asshole was smart and willing enough to figure out a couple of sophisticated gasoline (or ethanol, oxy-acetylene, etc.) bombs that would have been much worse than what he did with the guns.  Guns were easier–– make them a bigger pain in the ass to get and he would have roasted 200 people alive, and most or all would have sat there afraid to make a big deal about why a random dude was setting down cases in the aisles.   Hard to do shit about that with a CCW when you have no idea for sure WTF he's doing until it's WAY too late.  Fucking politicians and media types just don't get what they're playing with, they need to stop with the celebritizing and media saturation of this shit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's how we make explosives with cheap, easy-to-find chemicals.

You guys act like ANNM or ANFO is a state secret.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top