Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 11/3/2008 12:14:29 PM EDT

Considering a 1997 Ford Expedition.  Any thoughts or comments?

It has only 70k miles.
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 12:27:29 PM EDT
Changing the plugs is an enormous pain in the ass. Despite what people may say the air suspension (if it has it) is pretty nice. Our '99 has it in the rear and it works really well except for the annoying compressor kicking on from time to time. Its actually cool for towing because it will air up to compensate for the load somewhat.
Ours was completely reliable up until mom had it for a month or so and it mysteriously spun a bearing at around 118k. We replaced the motor and its still going strong.
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 4:29:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 5:28:14 PM EDT
5.4L, Eddie Bauer edition, truck is bone stock including stereo
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 7:44:37 PM EDT
I have a 97 XLT with the 5.4L.  I love it.  I got mine used about two months ago when gas was high and people wanted to get rid of their gas guzzler.  I just barely kicked over 70k miles on it this weekend.  I'm getting about 12mpg in the city and 17 highway.

I still have 30k miles before I need to mess with the plugs.  I've heard it's a PITA to change.

Towing a boat is a breeze and it will handle dirt roads.  I've never bothered to actually try and 4x4 it through technical stuff.  In the snow it should be awesome too.  My dad's F250 light duty is pretty the same thing as my Expedition and his truck handles great in the snow.

In my area Expeditions are cheap.  Ones with less than 100k on them are going for $3500.

I'd like to upgrade the radio to take an in-dash CD player.  The owner told me the CD changer option was outrageous when he bought it new.  So mine just has the tape deck right now.  It's not a big deal since I actually prefer the tape deck over the FM transmitter for hooking up my ipod.  I don't own a CD player anymore so I can't play CDs that I haven't dumped onto my ipod.  I know I'm lazy, CD players can be had for $25 now but I'd rather just change out the dash.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 6:41:32 PM EDT
I can't remember if this has the CD changer or not.

They still seem to be around 5-6k here, but that is for ones with a lot more miles.

My main uses for it are going to be camping and hunting.

What is the biggest size tires I can put on a stock Expedition?
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 7:34:28 AM EDT
My '98 F-150, 5.4L has the original plugs on the left bank. 206,000 miles. The plugs will outlive the vehicle.

Unless, of course, they're launched into deep space like the #6 plug on mine. I've got a re-man head on the right bank, with new plugs at 140,000 miles.

If anything fails in the ignition system, it's going to be a coil, which is about $30, and you can change yourself. 7 and 8 will be no picnic, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:59:08 AM EDT
I've got a '98 5.4 XLT 4x4 with 140,000 on the clock.  The only failures I've had with it are:

#5 Coil Pack at 80,000
Idle Air Control Valve at just over 100,000
Vacuum line for the PCV Valve Cracked at 136,000

Other than those issues, the Expy has been flawless.  Nice comfortable ride on and off road.  I have found that the stock 265/75/17 tire size is a decent compromise between highway and trail.  Just put some good rubber on it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:20:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:33:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
My '98 F-150, 5.4L has the original plugs on the left bank. 206,000 miles. The plugs will outlive the vehicle.

Unless, of course, they're launched into deep space like the #6 plug on mine. I've got a re-man head on the right bank, with new plugs at 140,000 miles.

If anything fails in the ignition system, it's going to be a coil, which is about $30, and you can change yourself. 7 and 8 will be no picnic, but it can be done.

Or the electrodes on the left bank spark plugs will wear off and you'll have a misfire to deal with, and risk damaging another head because you didn't replace the plugs while they'd still come out.......   just sayin
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:57:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sublimeshooter:
Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Or the electrodes on the left bank spark plugs will wear off and you'll have a misfire to deal with, and risk damaging another head because you didn't replace the plugs while they'd still come out.......   just sayin

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:44:16 AM EDT

Is there a decent yet inexpensive OBDII reader I can use to get diagnostic info while this thing is running?

The engine is missing a bit, and I'm fairly certain its the coil or spark plugs, but would like to know for sure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:08:28 PM EDT
Ford Expys ar my favorite vehicle. They are one of the most rugged cars you can currenty get(I consider them more like cars). I have had a couple of them.

While I love the car, I hate Ford service. However you will most likely be ahead by taking your car in for a good maintanance procedure. I would expect arund $800 for a good workng over. Your car probably also needs a update to the software.

My only cmplaint is that the seats are too hard for me and they are noisy on the highway.
Top Top