Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2001 9:51:43 PM EDT
I have just browsed this site and many others on the internet and found many people offering items breaking the 1994 "assault weapons" ban and most likely no one even knows it. While everyone pretty much agrees that the only way an AR15 is a preban is that if it was assembled into a complete rifle or sold as a complete kit form with all the necessary parts to build a rifle prior to September 13th, 1994, many do not realize that prebans can become postbans. In fact, the "preban lower receiver" doesn't mean anything anymore in the eyes of the ATF. According to the ATF, only "grandfathered" assault weapons are still allowed. Thus, any modification to your preban AR would technically have to be a "repair." and such. If you separate the upper and lower, then sell off the lower as a "preban lower"? Guess what? It automatically becomes a POSTBAN. According to ATF, the history of the receiver has NOTHING to do with it. If the preban gun was torn down and the lower receiver was transferred, it's a receiver, not a complete gun. Thus, when the next person drops the preban upper on it, they just violated the 1994 Crime bill by assembling an "assault weapon" after Sept. 13th 1994. I know this interpretation is wacky and weird on how prebans can become postbans. However, ATF has their interpretations and I urge everyone to follow their interpretations and the law or face the bitter consequences of the law and the wrath of the authorities. Most law-enforcement officers are not even aware of this interpretation and I've seen officers selling "preban" lowers to other people not knowing that the receiver has just become a postban. In addition, don't think that there's no proof that the gun wasn't transferred as a whole gun. On the yellow form you fill out for the transfer, if it's written as "receiver"? There's records of that transfer as a receiver. Thus, you better not put a preban upper or telestock on it. Of course no one agrees with these silly ludicrously absurd laws. Most people in the ATF probably don't even agree with them. Actually, most ATF guys I've talked to are good guys against lots of this crap. However, the law's the law....no matter how absurd and stupid they are, we must abide by them or suffer the consequences.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd reply to this post, but I have to go take some rifles apart.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]Thus, when the next person drops the preban upper on it, they just violated the 1994 Crime bill by [i]assembling[/i] an "assault weapon" after Sept. 13th 1994.[/b]

Scary thought, indeed.  However, would you not simply be [i]re-assembling[/i]?
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll say this rrreeeaaalll sssllooowwww so the BATF'ers can understand it...

"REPLACEMENT PARTS"

If I get around to replacing ALL of the parts, they are STILL replacement parts.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
the main topic seems to be a really lame attemp to start a flame war any way there would bno way to tell that the so called now post reviver was taken apart and reassblleb into a gun a pre reciever is teh same as a pre gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top