Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2012 7:06:28 AM EDT
I bought a 1990 Toyota 4x4 truck about a year ago.  The body has 257k, the rebuilt transmission has 40k (have receipt for that), supposedly the 22re 4 cyl. engine has about 140k on it, but I have no recepit proving that, so I'm going to assume it has 257k.  It runs decently.  Just did a tune up on it and it runs better, but it has leaks out of at least two locations and could use a timing chain replacement before it throws it and fucks everything up.

I wanted a light diesel, but couldn't find one.  I've been told you can fit several light diesel engines in the engine compartment, but I have no idea where to even start when it comes to researching that sort of stuff.  Which engines will fit, and what are the best choices between those engines?  Is it worth it to do it, or should I just take it to a reliable shop (cousin-in-law owns it and would any work I can't handle) and have them fix what needs fixing on the 22re?

Any other advice?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have read about a few cummins 4bt swaps... you can find them in panel vans. if you want a cheaper swap a buddy of mine has an older carbed buick 3.8 v6 and the stock 5 speed in an 85 yota truck.. I have driven it a few times on and off road and it's a sweet ride plenty of power.. There is alot of room under the hood off the shelf headers fit.. If you want pm me and I'll see if I can get some pics..
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
FYI - if you live in or ever move to an emissions testing area - the vehicle will be uninspectable if the original vehicle in that model year was not available w/ a diesel engine.  EPA allows engine swaps, but only to the blocks that were available in that model year.

Unless you do most of the work yourself, it's somewhat unlikely you will get any savings out of a diesel swap.  There might be other advantages, I'll grant.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
A Mercedes diesel is probably your best bet. There's a couple companies already making adapters to the Toyota W56, and some to the Jeep AX-15.

VW's TDI would probably be closer to the diesel it would have came with from the factory, eh?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The 22RE IS ONE OF THE BEST 4CYL engines ever made. I would just stick with it. I have had a few Toyota's in my life.
But I agree it would be neat to have a diesel one.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
http://dieseltoys.com/

It won't be cheap to do it right.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Mercedes OM617A. 5 cylinder turbo out of the 300D and the 300SD. 115 horsepower, and I forget the torque number. I have one in an '84 300SD, but I need to pull and rebuild it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't imagine any scenario that would possess me to want to put a diesel in a small truck, unless I simply had one laying around and absolutely nothing else to do.  There's nothing easy about the swap, and the amount of tweaking and fitting is not only time consuming, but can become prohibitively expensive.  

Any particular reason you want to use a diesel?  The 22RE is a great engine, and having it rebuilt isn't that expensive.  In fact, you may be able to find an entire donor engine cheaper than what rebuilding would run.  Now, if you are dead set on replacing the 22RE with something bigger, why not go with a carb'd or even TBI small block Chevy 350?  Even a 4.3L V6 is a relatively straightforward swap, but it still depends on how much of the work you can do yourself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://dieseltoys.com/

It won't be cheap to do it right

This goes for ANYTHING when modding ANY vehicle.

The only swap I would consider for a toyota truck with a 22re is a 3.4 swap.

MAYBE a 1UZ swap. Maybe. Still very expensive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
yotatech.com is a good place to learn up on things.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top