Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2002 8:04:48 AM EDT
I just pulled it out of the weeds last week. It had been sitting for about 2 1/2 years.  I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, both fuel filters.

The engine is a 2.3 liter Four cylinder Fuel injected.

Anyhow, when it gets up to about 3 grand it starts popping and farting and looses all power.

Tonight I am going to replace the PVC valve and this weekend the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.  Is there any other things to check?

PS the idle is really rough too.  I can get her to 70 on the highway but it takes a loooong time to get there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
O2 sensor sounds like the culprit to me
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#2]
QUALITY IS JOB 1
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
There was a little bit of gas in there.  I have filled it up with 92% octane and added some fuel injector cleaner.  I think most of the old gas is worked out now.    I sure hope it is the O2 sensor, thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a mechanic, but if it has hydraulic lifters [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p8af6f4c11fcde79a43659f21bac4743a/fddc250a.gif[/img]MAYBE the hydraulic lifters are sticking, change the oil and see if a lighter weight oil will free them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Lifters or the valves themselves could be sticking.  Change the oil and get it to operating temperature to see if that stops the problem.  I think its gummy valves that are not properly closing.  This is common on stored engines as the oil oxidizes on the stems when the engine isn't in use.

There are a few solvents you can use to break the gum down, one of them being cyclohexenone at ~1 oz per quart.  I would also recommend using a low viscosity oil for the first change as a little lifter noise ensures valve closure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have just the solution.  Part # 397-m-6007-XE3.  Ford Motorsports 5.oL Long block, GT-40 heads, 345 hp.  Throw on fiberglass fenders on all four corners, fiberglass hood, 5.5" Fabtech suspension lift, 8.8" rear axle with 3.73's, a Tremec 5 speed and a bit of fabrication.  You will have trouble keeping it under 70.  [:D] I always find the expensive solution.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Why does hearing the phrase "My 19xx Ford xxxxxxxx has no power" not shock me???

Lol...
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#9]
89, V6 FORD RANGERS HAVE NO POWER EITHER.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]
One more thing, if the engine has a lot of miles on it, I wouldn't put a cleaning additive like STP, Marvel Mystery Oil or any other cleaning agent in the oil, it will remove the carbon from around the rings also and you may loose compression.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I forgot to say that I did change the oil.    

I knew there would be some ford jokes [B)] but I got it for free so I am trying to get it running smoooooth.  Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Ahh Crappy, you know how I feel about them Rangers.

She's a beauty, aint she?  Nuthin' quite like wringing out that little Pinto engine and squealin' down the road.  I don't mean squealin' the tires, I'm talkin 'bout squealin' like a piggy as you tear up that quarter mile in just under five minutes.

"C'mon Bessy, skuh-weeeeel!"

I still drive my Ranger.  An '86 with 359k miles on her.  Yeah, it's slow and looks like someone opened a big 'ol can of fugly all over it, but that baby's an heirloom in the making.

I know you said you replaced the air filter.  Did you happen to notice if there was any kind of obstruction in the air intake tract?  If there is a rag or dead rodent (you said it was in a field) stuck in the ducting, that will cause a definate power loss at anything past half throttle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Yea, I pulled the intake hose off the top of the engine so she was getting unfiltered air straight to her and it still did it.  I did check the duct for mud dobbers though. [:D]

edited to say that after about 25 min of running it seems to get a little better, maybe you can rev it up to 3300 to 3500 before the big engine farts start taking place.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#14]
BTW the absolute best fuel additive is BG44K as far as removing carbon and cleaning injectors.  You will have to look around for it and it runs about $20 a can.  But it any additive will work/help and not HURT that is the one.
[url]http://www.bgprod.com/products.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, here's an uneducated guess:  Could it be a vaccuum leak of some sort?  I'm not a mechanic and don't know for sure but, I would think sitting in a field for 2.5 years could do a number on gaskets and "soft" vaccuum lines.

Have you changed the oil a second time?  Does it show signs of coolant/water contamination?  Maybe your head gasket has a dry rotted hole in it?

Just some thoughts...
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, one more thought: Myabe its your throttle position sensor?  I had one go on me once and the rough idle was an indicator.  Does the truck stall or almost stall under hard braking/rapid deceleration?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Friend of mine had a similar problem, old ranger 4 cyl, 4 sp and would get stuck on a wet lawn.

He is almost done dropping a 302 V8 and automatic in it. Lots of work and money but what the heck. :)
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top