Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2013 7:30:43 AM EDT
I was reading the obits lately and this caught my eye:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-14/news/ct-spt-0315-steinhagen-eddie-waitkus-20130315_1_chicago-woman-ruth-ann-steinhagen-eddie-waitkus

(Jack Webb) Just The Facts:

Ruth Ann Steinhagen passes away in late December of 2012 at the age of 83.  In 1949 she shot Eddie Waitkus in the chest with a .22lr rifle.  He barely survives, she spends three years getting electroshock therapy in a mental hospital.  Eddie refuses to push for harsh punishment for her.  She is declared sane and walks out in 1952 a free woman.

Eddie recovers and goes on to several more years of playing top notch ball.  The case inspires the novel The Natural.  The book was made into a movie in 1984 that starred Robert Redford.

You got the facts.

Snippets:
After the game, she sent Waitkus an unsigned note summoning him to a 12th-floor room in the now-demolished Edgewater Beach Hotel, where the Phillies were staying. When Waitkus arrived at 11:30 p.m., Steinhagen told Waitkus from behind the door, "I have a surprise for you," and then used a .22-caliber rifle that she had purchased at a pawnshop to shoot him just below the heart.

After the shooting, Steinhagen told authorities that she wasn't sorry and that she "just had to shoot somebody."

"Only in that way could I relieve the nervous tension I've been under the last two years," she was reported to have told the Cook County state's attorney. "The shooting has relieved that tension."
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Crazy bitches be crazy!

Good movie.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was reading the obits lately and this caught my eye:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-14/news/ct-spt-0315-steinhagen-eddie-waitkus-20130315_1_chicago-woman-ruth-ann-steinhagen-eddie-waitkus

(Jack Webb) Just The Facts:

Ruth Ann Steinhagen passes away in late December of 2012 at the age of 83.  In 1949 she shot Eddie Waitkus in the chest with a .22lr rifle.  He barely survives, she spends three years getting electroshock therapy in a mental hospital.  Eddie refuses to push for harsh punishment for her.  She is declared sane and walks out in 1952 a free woman.

Eddie recovers and goes on to several more years of playing top notch ball.  The case inspires the novel The Natural.  The book was made into a movie in 1984 that starred Robert Redford.

You got the facts.

Snippets:
After the game, she sent Waitkus an unsigned note summoning him to a 12th-floor room in the now-demolished Edgewater Beach Hotel, where the Phillies were staying. When Waitkus arrived at 11:30 p.m., Steinhagen told Waitkus from behind the door, "I have a surprise for you," and then used a .22-caliber rifle that she had purchased at a pawnshop to shoot him just below the heart.

After the shooting, Steinhagen told authorities that she wasn't sorry and that she "just had to shoot somebody."

"Only in that way could I relieve the nervous tension I've been under the last two years," she was reported to have told the Cook County state's attorney. "The shooting has relieved that tension."

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top