Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 1:44:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Likely not.  I keep my Springfield cocked and locked.  Remember, springs do not lose strength when they're kept in a constant state (relaxed or compressed), they lose strength from use.  The 1911 was designed to be carried/kept cocked and locked.

Besides, springs ARE replaceable

AR15(the 1911 loving freak)fencer
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't sweat it. A mainspring will last a very long time and is cheap to replace if it does get weak.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Plain and simple, no. The wear on a spring is the pressure on and pressure off. You wear it more shooting it. As for mags, I've not found a problem. I do however unload one and load another about every three months, just for kicks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
You should live so long. Seriously, it shouldn't hurt it at all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Metal fatigue is caused by vibtration. (i was told by an engineer)

leaving the hammer cocked will not cause the hammer or sear to fatigue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top