Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 9:32:21 AM EDT
Story

Only 17% of 8th Graders in Schools Overseen by Obama Education Secretary-Designee Can Read at Grade Level
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
By Matt Cover

Chicago Schools Chief Arne Duncan smiles as President-elect Barack Obama announces his selection to be Education Secretary, Tuesday, Dec. 16, 2008, at the Dodge Renaissance Academy in Chicago. (AP Photo)
(CNSNews.com) – In 2007, only 17 percent of eighth graders tested at or above grade level in reading in Chicago Public Schools – the school system administered by Arne Duncan since 2001.

President-elect Barack Obama on Tuesday tapped Duncan to become secretary of education in the upcoming administration.

Duncan, hailed by Obama as a reformer, said he would like to take the lessons he learned in Chicago with him when he moves to Washington. “I'm also eager to apply some of the lessons we have learned here in Chicago to help school districts all across our country," Duncan said after Obama formally named him to the job in Chicago.

According to the U.S. Department of Education’s National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) report for 2007, Chicago public schools have consistently performed below the national average during Duncan’s tenure.

The report measures students at the fourth and eighth grade levels in the subjects of reading, math, science, and writing, and ranks them at below basic, basic, proficient, or advanced levels.

Students in eighth grade are those most likely to have been in the Chicago system for a majority of Duncan’s tenure. CNSNews.com used the scores for these students to best determine the results of Duncan’s administration.

By 2007, only 17 percent of Chicago eighth graders were at or above grade level in reading. Thirteen percent scored at or above grade level in math. Twenty-three percent scored at or above grade level in writing.

By 2005, the only year Chicago participated in the NEAP assessment program, 16 percent of eighth grade students were at or above grade level in science.

Nationally, students did much better on average in reading, math, science, and writing.

In 2007, 29 percent of eighth grade students scored at or above grade-level in reading, 31 percent in math, and 31 percent in writing. In 2005, 27 percent of eighth grade students were at or above grade level in science.

Nationally, Chicago is the third largest school district with over 408,000 students. Its budget for 2007-2008 was $4.6 billion, according to information released by Chicago Public Schools. $862 million of that was supplied by the federal government.

Under Duncan, Chicago Public Schools spent $10,555 per pupil, with $9,488 going toward education-related expenses in 2007.

During Duncan’s tenure, the Chicago district did not significantly increase its scores in reading, rising only one point on average from 2002 to 2007 – from 249 of a possible 500 in 2002, to 250 in 2007. The national average in 2007 was 263. Seventy-five percent of Chicago students scored less than 273 on the reading assessment.

In math, Chicago Public Schools’ average score increased from 254 in 2003 to 260 in 2007. The national average for 2007 was 280. Seventy-five percent of Chicago students scored below 283 in the math assessment.

In writing, the average score for students in Chicago Public Schools increased from 136 out of 300 in 2002 to 146 in 2007. The national average in 2007 was 154. Approximately 50 percent of Chicago students scored below 148 in the writing assessment.

In science, the Chicago Public Schools average score was 124 out of 300; the national average was 147. Three-quarters of Chicago students scored below 146 on the science assessment.

Why am I not surprised?

There was a great response towards the bottom -

sirandrew at 07:08 PM - December 31, 2008

The people that voted for Barack Obama ,according to recent polls,Could not name thier Senator or Representative from their district,Did not know the name of the speaker of the House,did not know the current Vice President's name .Did not know one of the Supreme Court Judges,id not know the size of our National debt,Did not know who fought in World War Two, When was the Korean war,they cannot give one example about what Osam Obama etc These are the idiots that voted that cannot tell what ever qualified him to be President. He promised the people that were the tackers that he would take from the earners and give to the leaches sucking the blood from our once great country. God help America,By the way I am 82 years old. Andrew.

Good way to ensure a future voting base.....

-K
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
keeping them dumb.............
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Tagging this for later.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I gotta say that when he picked Arnie Duncan my jaw hit the floor. My wife and I moved to the suburbs after our 1st was born. There was no way I was going to put my kids in the CPS (Chicago public school system) and I didn't want to have to pay big $$ for private schools. The CPS is a fucking joke here. Arnie Duncan hasn't done shit for it either. But hey America, what do you care? The One, won. It's all about hope and change yet somehow it looks more and more like more of the same.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
If parents don't work with their kids, the kids will never be able to keep up with the others.  In that area of Chicago, evidently no one works with their children.    

The guy could be a Republican and still not be able to fix the problem.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait until these same assholes run the healthcare system.
Government anything is designed to fail. Rat bastids

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as they are smart enough to vote dim that is all the leftists care about.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Unpossible.  For 8 years the libtards have been telling us that Texas was at the bottom of the education barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I find it ironic that obama enrolled his kids in private schools, then pick CPS Supt. Arnie Duncan to head the dept. of education. Basically telling America, he's not good enough for my children, but he's OK for yours.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#10]
it's just because the schools weren't given enough money.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's Daley's war cry. He's always on TV spouting out of his pie hole "you want better schools, you have to pay more money" every time he raises taxes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
keeping them dumb.............

That's the dumbocrap way...gotta protect their future votes.  Only shit-for-brains morons voted for him.

HH

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I think expecting the guy at the top to have any real relevance on literacy rates, etc is a joke.

Considering what you're working with in Chicago, I don't think there is anybody who could really accomplish all that much.

Not that I'm saying the guy isn't a piece of shit, but I don't think anybody could do much better in that area.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Wasn't there a Chicago "educator" whose signiture program was to start a 50% gay, 50% hetero HS to foster "tolerance and understanding"?  

PLEASE tell me this ain't that one!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's BS. You got kids in poor countries that has a better education system then the US. By the time they reach K12 they already can read and write two language.

http://rpginn.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=232&Itemid=39

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#16]
its a good thing ObongoX is going to be paying for their rent and gasoline then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Look what kind of kids they are working with in Chicago.

17% seems a little high.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a Chicago "educator" whose signiture program was to start a 50% gay, 50% hetero HS to foster "tolerance and understanding"?  

PLEASE tell me this ain't that one!

I believe they're one and the same.

-K
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's BS. You got kids in poor countries that has a better education system then the US. By the time they reach K12 they already can read and write two language.

Yeah, because in those countries if you don't get some kind of education then you starve. Here in the US, if you don't get an education then you can't get a job and the government pays your way.

I personally don't think school should be mandatory after say 6th grade. Give the kids that want to learn a better chance. Spend the additional money on them since it would most likely be wasted on the others anyway.

The fact of the matter is, you can't force people to become educated. You can give them the opprotunity and they can either take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Education funding isn't about education. Its about boating the ranks of the Teacher's Unions so they can contribute to Democrap politicians.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Education funding isn't about education. Its about boating the ranks of the Teacher's Unions so they can contribute to Democrap politicians.

Bingo!  How many officials in the top tiers of public education send their kids to public schools?  Not many.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#22]
This article also fails to mention that it's been a looooooong time since CPS has had a graduation rate above 70%, I believe last year's was 65%.  There are rural districts in southern IL that have 95%+ graduation rates on less than $6,000 per student.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know...I'm a product of the CPS system.  In one year I was able(with a LOT of help) to raise my math score on the Iowa Standardized Test from a 2nd grade math level to a 7th grade math level.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If parents don't work with their kids, the kids will never be able to keep up with the others.  In that area of Chicago, evidently no one works with their children.    

You make an excellent point. There are areas in which only the Lord himself could get measurable results out of the students. In areas with a cultural bias against education it is almost impossible to get anything done when we guarantee an education for every child. It's sad, yet true.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, because in those countries if you don't get some kind of education then you starve. Here in the US, if you don't get an education then you can't get a job and the government pays your way.

I personally don't think school should be mandatory after say 6th grade. Give the kids that want to learn a better chance. Spend the additional money on them since it would most likely be wasted on the others anyway.

The fact of the matter is, you can't force people to become educated. You can give them the opprotunity and they can either take it or leave it.

I've been saying the part in red for years too. I don't know how I feel about your second idea though.

About 5-10 years ago I would have gone on about how the systems in foreign countries are different and the tests are really only reflecting their top students while ours are aggregate. I don't think that is a valid argument any longer. I think we have dumbed down the system so as to lag behind in reality as well as on paper.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#26]
The majority of people in the world can't read and have never been able to read. The fact they can read anything is sorta ok.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This article also fails to mention that it's been a looooooong time since CPS has had a graduation rate above 70%, I believe last year's was 65%.  There are rural districts in southern IL that have 95%+ graduation rates on less than $6,000 per student.

Hah!

You had better read between the lines for the schools you are looking at.  I entered 9th grade with a class of over 750 students.  My graduating class was 473, with fewer than 30 students held back.

My school had a graduation rate of 98%.

You see, they don't count migrant workers who drop out.  Oh, and they also didn't count students who were "at risk" for dropping out.  

I am just sayin, everything is relative.

EDIT: found the paperwork ad edited the numbers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

While true, I do not believe that is the point.  I would think that when hiring someone to head up anything, you would want someone with a successful track record.  I am sure, without researching, that there are other people in similar positions with a better rate of success he could have chosen instead of picking a Chicago cronie.

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Chicago school boycott set to roll
Buses slated to head to New Trier to enroll students
By Lisa Black
September 02, 2008

A school boycott organized by state Sen. James Meeks will proceed as planned Tuesday morning, despite opposition from Chicago Public Schools officials who urged children to attend their first day of class, Meeks said Monday.

Meeks (D-Chicago), also the pastor of Salem Baptist Church in Chicago, said he expects hundreds of students and their parents to board buses at eight church sites beginning at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Up to 120 busloads will head to New Trier High School’s Northfield campus, where they will seek to draw attention to inequities between wealthy and poor school districts. The state relies on property taxes to fund schools, creating a gap in resources that hits minority children hardest, he said.

“It’s obvious that CPS does not have the resources to adequately do the job,” Meeks said. “They should join us in this boycott.”

The Chicago students will attempt to register for classes at New Trier in a symbolic move that North Shore administrators have agreed to accommodate. Officials will usher the Chicago families into a gym and auditorium, allowing registration to take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

New Trier spent more than $17,000 per student in 2005-06, while Chicago schools spent an estimated $10,400 per student.

Oh yes let's bring this kind of success to the nation!

link
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a good idea where Geitner got his math skills now
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, it certainly seems that he is a poster boy to continue George W. Bush's No Child Left Behind Act and all of the very expensive policies attached to that into this new administration.

I guess no one here should be upset, given that things like 80% of the kids below par is the ultimate outcome of things like NCLB.  And if it's George W. Bush's policies, how can that be bad!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#33]
“I'm also eager to apply some of the lessons we have learned here in Chicago to help school districts all across our country,"

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't forget Obama and Ayers raised 150 million for these same schools in Annenberg challenge, spent the money, and didn't show any tangible results!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]
The people that voted for Barack Obama ,according to recent polls,Could not name thier Senator or Representative from their district,Did not know the name of the speaker of the House,did not know the current Vice President's name .Did not know one of the Supreme Court Judges,did not know the size of our National debt,Did not know who fought in World War Two, When was the Korean war,they cannot give one example about what Osam Obama etc These are the idiots that voted that cannot tell what ever qualified him to be President. He promised the people that were the tackers that he would take from the earners and give to the leaches sucking the blood from our once great country. God help America,By the way I am 82 years old. Andrew.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for this one.  The national debt is going up so fast I'm not sure anybody actually know the true amount.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#36]
another for the scandle thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't know...I'm a product of the CPS system.  In one year I was able(with a LOT of help) to raise my math score on the Iowa Standardized Test from a 2nd grade math level to a 7th grade math level.

Were you a senior at the time?

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#38]
He should have named Crazy Joe Clark instead.  He'll straigten shit out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top