Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 7:04:33 PM EDT
I can't decide. So I'll let arfcom decide if I get a heavy or light-weight midlength barrel.

Vote and give your reason(s)!

IBTP

ETA: Dammit, I screwed up the poll... "Mid-length" is supposed to be "Light-weight." It's going to be a mid-length barrel, regardless.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Will you be hunting with it and carrying it all the time? Is it a precision rifle? Home defense? I'd go with a lightweight if  I was going to be carrying it around.  Heavy barrel if I was building a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Will you be hunting with it and carrying it all the time? Is it a precision rifle? Home defense? I'd go with a lightweight if  I was going to be carrying it around.  Heavy barrel if I was building a precision rifle.

I don't see using it for hunting any time in the near future. It'll be used for target shooting and home defense.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see using it for hunting any time in the near future. It'll be used for target shooting and home defense.

I'd probably go with a lightweight then. Personally, I''m not a good enough shot to notice any accuracy difference between the two so I'd save the weight. For home defense,  the accuracy difference won't matter anyway.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd vote lightweight if you're doing anything but bench rest competitions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd probably go with a lightweight then. Personally, I''m not a good enough shot to notice any accuracy difference between the two so I'd save the weight. For home defense,  the accuracy difference won't matter anyway.

How much weight is saved with a light-weight barrel, anyhow?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm partial to lightweights unless you're going for a puredee tackdriver.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO, four reasons to get a heavy weight barrel.

Heavy weight barrels hold up better to sustained automatic weapons fire. Plus the weight makes the weapon more controllable during automatic fire. So if you need your AR to act as a squad automatic rifle then get the heavy barrel.

Heavy weight barrels can be more accurate. So if this is a match rifle get a heavyweight barrel. (But then you don’t want it to be chrome lined or have a 5.56mm chamber.)

Heavy weight barrels are heavier. Using one can help build up upper body strength. So, if you want your AR to be a piece of gym equipment then get a heavy barrel.

Heavy barrels make better crowbars. So if you plan on using your rifle as a pry tool, get a heavy barrel.

Otherwise, get the lightweight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Gov profile to lightweight: about 4 ounces.
From HBAR to lightweight: just about 14 ounces.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both.
My HBAR is very very accurate but I don't think I'd want to hump it around all day.
My lightweight isn't quite s accurate but for home defense and general all around shooting it is accurate enough.
In my world they both have their place, unless I'm target shooting both are effective for me out to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
home defense = lightweight
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
IMO, four reasons to get a heavy weight barrel.

Heavy weight barrels hold up better to sustained automatic weapons fire. Plus the weight makes the weapon more controllable during automatic fire. So if you need your AR to act as a squad automatic rifle then get the heavy barrel.

Heavy weight barrels can be more accurate. So if this is a match rifle get a heavyweight barrel. (But then you don’t want it to be chrome lined or have a 5.56mm chamber.)

Heavy weight barrels are heavier. Using one can help build up upper body strength. So, if you want your AR to be a piece of gym equipment then get a heavy barrel.

Heavy barrels make better crowbars. So if you plan on using your rifle as a pry tool, get a heavy barrel.

Otherwise, get the lightweight.

At first I was like

...but then I 'd.

I agree; even for a SPR type setup, the quality of the barrel is more important than the weight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#13]
if you got a free float tube, then definitely the lightweight barrel
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I personally would choose the heavy barrel for these reasons:

1.  Takes more rounds for heat to really affect the POI.  
2.  Better for precision shooting.  I like one hole groups what can I say?
3.  It's not THAT much heavier to carry.  My SIL takes mine deer hunting because of recoil issues and my bipod.  I weighed my heavy barrel AR against my Rem 760 30-06.  The AR was about a pound more with a similar loadout.  If you're going hunting a pound isn't gonna kill you.  
4.  I don't do 3gun or anything like that where a lighter rifle would be a performance advantage.
5.  Chances are you're gonna put tacticool accesories on it and make it heavier anyway so why are you skimping on the barrel?

These are just my thoughts based on my intended uses.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 ounces is a lot. I didn't know the difference was nearly a  pound. That makes the lightweight an even easier decision.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Light weight Middy, FTMFW.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Most 16" barrels are pretty heavy:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my one and only AR with a heavy profile barrel... I regret it every time I pick the rifle up

Lightweight ftw
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
only downside is LW barrels get hot really quickly, imo. I own two LW builds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Most 16" barrels are pretty heavy:

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/33230/33229780.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I entered this thread fully expecting a discussion on battleships.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Heavy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Light. I have a heavy and while it's not bad, it can be slower to transition from one target to the next. Not by a WHOLE lot, but enough that I'm looking to part ways with mine and get a gov't. But since you only listed heavy or light, I voted light.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Several years ago everyone would have been telling you that an HBAR is the only way to go...  Now, it's all about pencil barrels...  funny how things change

You said that this is going to be used for target shooting and HD, well personally then, I'd go with a heavy barrel.  For HD, it's not like you'd be straining yourself heading on down the stairs, rifle in hand, to check out the noise you just heard.  And then also, you would have a better barrel on your rifle if you decided to go an SPR route in the future.

My .02
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Lightweight.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
only downside is LW barrels get hot really quickly, imo. I own two LW builds.

On the other hand, they cool down quicker than heavy barrels.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I went from a 16" HB to a light weight 14.5" bbl. Huge difference. I use it for the range and possible HD situation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Lightweight is my vote.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I have no use for heavy, 16" barrels.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Get the heavy barrel and then register it as an SBR and have it cut down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I got my one and only AR with a heavy profile barrel... I regret it every time I pick the rifle up

Lightweight ftw

same here, anyone want to do a trade?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top