Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2001 8:00:39 PM EDT
Is the gain in accuracy and energy worth the 4 more inches? How much more is there? Right now im looking at either a Bushmaster 20" flattop with carry handle or the LEGP. although i dont think ill have time to get the money together for the LEGP. any suggestions are welcome. [;D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it's significant at a distance.  200yds the 20" is definantely a worthy difference.  50yds...well, not much difference (to me [:)]).
The 20" is about 4moa at 100yds with me, and the 16 is about 6moa.  of course, I suck and need significant practice.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Physically, the barrel length has very little to do with accuracy.  The exception is the longer sight radius of the 20" barrel will make for more accurate shooting if the shooter does his/her part.  However, the barrel length does have a significant impact on muzzle velocity, which can and will affect accuracy at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The exception is the longer sight radius of the 20" barrel will make for more accurate shooting if the shooter does his/her part.
View Quote

So if you use a scope on a 16" AR the accuracy will be equal to the 20" except of longer ranges (muzzle velocity)?!
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I also have an Olympic stainless ultramatch 16" on one of my ARs.  It has outshot every 20" barrel that I have tried.  I finally put 16" tubes on all of my ARs.  You will get greater velocity which helps on wind drift at longer ranges with a 20" tube.  Other than that accuracy will depend on barrel quality not length.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
16" barrel vs. 20" barrel...

Come on now boys, let's be scientific here.
If the barrels are of EQUAL quality, the 20" will be more acurate.
Period.
Shhhhh!
Period.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
If accuracy is how consistant the rifle shoots (group size), barrel length has little effect.  In fact, shorter barrels will tend to be more accurate because they have less barrel whip.

However, if you are using irons, the longer sight radius will make the 20" more accurate.  For me, there is a significant difference.  If you are using optics, that will not matter.

The 20" barrel will have more velocity, so the bullet will shoot flatter and be less susceptible to wind drift.  But the difference is not huge.

The biggest impact of the longer barrel is that, due to the increased velocity, your bullets are going to fragment at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
equal quality 16" vs 20", accuracy differences will be insignificant.

Muzzle velocity will be dramatically different. MV is important both for wind bucking and terminal velocity...

Thus, the 16" is ideal for short range, the 20" for medium range and 20+ for long range...

I bought a bushmaster dissipator 16" to keep the long sight radius...my M4 profile upper is much harder to keep "on target" with the shorter sight radius.

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If you were a sniper shooting  from 600 meters, and had two weapons to choose from:

1) Bushmaster Flattop with Leupold scope and 16" Heavy Barrel.

2) Bushmaster Flattop with Leupold scope and 20" Heavy Barrel.

...which would YOU use?

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The 20" barrel...for the added MV.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
M-M -

I'll take the 20".  The added velocity gives more penetration, gives me longer range for reliable fragmentation.  (600 is WAY too far for fragmentation, regardless of barrel length)

I'll take it for velocity, not really for accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top