BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Change all you want.  Racist assholes are as racist assholes do.  The man who wrote that song was a racist asshole.  Am I supposed to give a fuck that he can learn?  Does that somehow undo  what he did?  Sorry.  I'm not big on forgiveness.  Each of us owns what we do and its consequences til the day we die. We might do other things to try and balance a score, but balancing it doesn't unmake history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess some people haven't gotten the memo that, at least in public, he's pretty repentant about his racist past.

Got the memo.  Don't care.  When you write a song like Nig&^r Fucker, you don't just say "I'm sorry" and get a pass.

Ya, you're right, people can't ever change

Change all you want.  Racist assholes are as racist assholes do.  The man who wrote that song was a racist asshole.  Am I supposed to give a fuck that he can learn?  Does that somehow undo  what he did?  Sorry.  I'm not big on forgiveness.  Each of us owns what we do and its consequences til the day we die. We might do other things to try and balance a score, but balancing it doesn't unmake history.

I personally believe he's probably more shitbag than not but, with that being said, I believe being able to own what you do, say you fucked up and apologize, and then make an effort to change makes you at least a little bit more of a man than many. I doubt he gives a shit if you forgive him and, really, I don't either. But damn, if you hold a grudge like that about a stranger, I'd hate to think about the kind of grudges you carry with people that you actually know. Forgiveness isn't about "unmaking history" but about being able to realize that some people do make bad choices, learn from them, and move on with life.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Go on, for research sake. Seriously. Information not readily found on search engines is what we are after.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At one point he went bankrupt and lost the rights to most of the songs that we grew up with, IIRC. Has rewritten some of them with minor changes but, IMHO, they aren't the same.

He was living in a hearse in front of the Opry when Shelby Singleton from Sun records scouted him (according to him) and gave him the front money for his first record.

He wrote Take This Job and Shove it, Johnny Paycheck recorded it and made it a hit, then refused to call DAC by name on a late night show (Johnny Carson maybe) when asked about who wrote the song.

He was involved in a big shitstorm about a picture that ended up in a local paper of him performing on stage during a show with Waylon and a couple others with a pistol in his back pocket, paper made mention of "outlaw country" and he has tried to take credit for creating outlaw country ever since.

Couple of Bandidos that I know, one who says he toured with him, say that he came out of prison with a significant interest in men.

At one point, not that many years ago, he was living in a travel trailer behind G's Ice House in Deer Park, TX playing shows to pay rent.

I've heard for years that he treated his family like absolute shit, but at least one of his sons has been touring with him in his band.

He has (or had) some business involvement with the Iron Horse Saloon in Daytona.

The live version of Ohio Boy tells a lot of his version of his life story.

He is a legend in his own mind, and the biggest lier you have ever met.

Go on, for research sake. Seriously. Information not readily found on search engines is what we are after.

This. I'm legitimately interested as well, I like learning new stuff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At one point he went bankrupt and lost the rights to most of the songs that we grew up with, IIRC. Has rewritten some of them with minor changes but, IMHO, they aren't the same.

He was living in a hearse in front of the Opry when Shelby Singleton from Sun records scouted him (according to him) and gave him the front money for his first record.

He wrote Take This Job and Shove it, Johnny Paycheck recorded it and made it a hit, then refused to call DAC by name on a late night show (Johnny Carson maybe) when asked about who wrote the song.

He was involved in a big shitstorm about a picture that ended up in a local paper of him performing on stage during a show with Waylon and a couple others with a pistol in his back pocket, paper made mention of "outlaw country" and he has tried to take credit for creating outlaw country ever since.

Couple of Bandidos that I know, one who says he toured with him, say that he came out of prison with a significant interest in men.

At one point, not that many years ago, he was living in a travel trailer behind G's Ice House in Deer Park, TX playing shows to pay rent.

I've heard for years that he treated his family like absolute shit, but at least one of his sons has been touring with him in his band.

He has (or had) some business involvement with the Iron Horse Saloon in Daytona.

when he was in prison a homer tried to bang his angus and he claims he killed him
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's 40 below and I don't give a fuck, got a heater in my truck, and I'm off to the rodeo!
View Quote

Not a DAC song, was written by Gaye Delorme and recorded by Gary Lee and Showdown. Usually incorrectly attributed to DAC and Chris Ledoux
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
DAC is a POS. Plain and simple. Why not steer the kid towards an artist who actually has a story worth telling…CDB, Bobby Bare, Cash, Nelson. Too many to list.

View Quote

I've answered this question several times in previous posts....13er
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Just compare his music to gangsta rap and all will be well, right?  
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yea, used to know his dad, always covered in grease it seemed...He sold used tires and hubcaps and such to make a go of it.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To pay for his room and board I heard he had to work hard.

Yea, used to know his dad, always covered in grease it seemed...He sold used tires and hubcaps and such to make a go of it.....

His sister is an adult entertainer who left home due to his father's temper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just compare his music to gangsta rap and all will be well, right?  
View Quote

"that's different."
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that won't make the paper but NO SHIT?
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It started with them saying how much of a joy the boy is, followed by "do you think it's appropriate that he listens to a band with the name cracka in it"?

It ended with me telling them that we came here looking for a private school and I'll leave here today looking for another one. I had his undivided attention at this point and added unless he had merit to call CPS to stay the fuck out of his home life.

Quoted:
Hopefully, it was a one-way phone conversation along the lines of "I am not coming in and our home environment is none of your fucking business".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hopefully, it was a one-way phone conversation along the lines of "I am not coming in and our home environment is none of your fucking business".

Quoted:

His first choice was his favorite band, The LACs (Loud Ass Crackas) that got me an invitation to the school to discuss what his home environment was like.

He's an honor student in AP classes, he's just country as hell.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its a paper for school, he chose the artist based on his favorite song " You never even called me by my name".

I am VERY familiar with Mr. Coe and his songs and if the lad was older I think we could have some fun with this but at his age I'm not sure how far I want to open this door.

Since GD is a vast expanse of knowledge, what do you guys and gals know about him that is suitable for a school project? Mainly life accomplishment type things, wiki has been perused but there isn't a lot there that is not known.

Knowing what Mr. Coe has written/performed lets keep this clean and not derailed into a lock.

View Quote

Whatever you do, don't be the one to proofread his paper.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a paper for school, he chose the artist based on his favorite song " You never even called me by my name".

I am VERY familiar with Mr. Coe and his songs and if the lad was older I think we could have some fun with this but at his age I'm not sure how far I want to open this door.

Since GD is a vast expanse of knowledge, what do you guys and gals know about him that is suitable for a school project? Mainly life accomplishment type things, wiki has been perused but there isn't a lot there that is not known.

Knowing what Mr. Coe has written/performed lets keep this clean and not derailed into a lock.

Three pages without a spelling Nazi, I'm impressed. P.S. You didn't need that comma.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If that ain't country you little hair-lipped poke it'll hairlip the Pope.
If that aint country It's a damn good joke.
View Quote

fify
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How do you explain the 70's, outlaw country and David Allen Coe to the youtube generation?  

Daunting.

Could be a useful object lesson in biting off more than you can chew.
View Quote

That is when I met him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Three pages without a spelling Nazi, I'm impressed. P.S. You didn't need that comma.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that grammar and syntax are definitely not your strong points.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well for one thing if it didn't happen he can make it up .he liked to tell grand tales about himself that never really happened.altho I did see naked pics of himself and this chick I dated  in the back of his bus.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Johnny Paycheck not David Allan Coe

When David Allan Coe played at the venue I worked at, we literally sold out every drop of beer we had.  May not sound like a lot but we were also stocked for Seether who was playing the next night.
Strangely was one of the most peaceful shows we ever had there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please come to Boston.  Take this job and shove it.  I hear he has a cool spider tatoo.

Johnny Paycheck not David Allan Coe

When David Allan Coe played at the venue I worked at, we literally sold out every drop of beer we had.  May not sound like a lot but we were also stocked for Seether who was playing the next night.
Strangely was one of the most peaceful shows we ever had there too.

Coe wrote it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Biggest name dropper in history
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Please come to Boston.  Take this job and shove it.  I hear he has a cool spider tatoo.
View Quote

Please come to Boston. without a doubt.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm knee deep in his MC history, he claims to be a "retired Outlaw" I've got 4 tabs open on him right now and I really need to be working, but this is pretty interesting and commercial aircraft are boring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is/was a full patch member of the Outlaws MC.

His brother was......DAC was a Vagos

Yeah I'm knee deep in his MC history, he claims to be a "retired Outlaw" I've got 4 tabs open on him right now and I really need to be working, but this is pretty interesting and commercial aircraft are boring.

Who exactly is writing this report Dad?
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you aren't aware that his older brother is rumored to be off in the War too!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I bet you aren't aware that his older brother is rumored to be off in the War too!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard he was in jail? Too bad, his mom was one of the hardest working women I ever knew, selling eggs, chopping tobacco, anything to help make it....
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Classless.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if that ain't country!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is, with MUCH guidance...to steer clear of the obvious. It's only 2 pages double space, won't take much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:13:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Troll troll troll your boat to my ignore list...congrats you are the first on a list I thought would go unused.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I think that mine field is too densely laid.

I'd try and steer him to another topic, OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh lord yes, he knows everybody
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I personally believe he's probably more shitbag than not but, with that being said, I believe being able to own what you do, say you fucked up and apologize, and then make an effort to change makes you at least a little bit more of a man than many. I doubt he gives a shit if you forgive him and, really, I don't either. But damn, if you hold a grudge like that about a stranger, I'd hate to think about the kind of grudges you carry with people that you actually know. Forgiveness isn't about "unmaking history" but about being able to realize that some people do make bad choices, learn from them, and move on with life.
View Quote

I don't normally spare the man a thought, much less a grudge.   What he did though, defines him as a person.  Did he do some OK stuff?  Sure.  He made good music sometimes.  He also did some things that make me think he was a racist asshole.  He's got the right to be one if he wants.  I'm free to ignore him though, and to evaluate his work in light of his actions as well as his talent.  Fuck, Hitler was a painter.  Some people even liked his work.  Doesn't mean shit compared to what else he did.  DAC is in the same bucket, far as I'm concerned.

Short version.  He's a racist asshole, so I mostly ignore him until someone tries to hold him up as a great artist without remembering what else he did.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't normally spare the man a thought, much less a grudge.   What he did though, defines him as a person.  Did he do some OK stuff?  Sure.  He made good music sometimes.  He also did some things that make me think he was a racist asshole.  He's got the right to be one if he wants.  I'm free to ignore him though, and to evaluate his work in light of his actions as well as his talent.  Fuck, Hitler was a painter.  Some people even liked his work.  Doesn't mean shit compared to what else he did.  DAC is in the same bucket, far as I'm concerned.

Short version.  He's a racist asshole, so I mostly ignore him until someone tries to hold him up as a great artist without remembering what else he did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed, nailed, nailed it! The more I research him the more I dislike him and I'm going to cleanse myself of DAC Monday morning when I drop the kid off at school.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He is, with MUCH guidance...to steer clear of the obvious. It's only 2 pages double space, won't take much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh, that's not a paper, that's an abstract.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#33]
When samsgreen50's son was 15 going on 20 when he met up with the soul man, he was quite a lover of the cards and of the dice
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't bite the dick.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Finger Fucking Sally?
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe your son could do his paper on some of the people who influenced D.A.C,and how those people effected his own style,...........for example,check out 'Screamin Jay Hawkins',one of the people who influenced D.A.C.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#37]
learn how to suck em learn how to fuck learn how to take their money and learn how to cry
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#38]
IIRC he sold the rights to his songs, so when he does shows (which I saw him recently in Bham) he doesn't sing any of his old famous songs.
View Quote

Explains a lot.  I saw him at the Georgia Theater in Athens back around '02, and it was an absolutely terrible show.  He came onto the stage looking like he just crawled out from under a bridge somewhere, and proceeded to play a bunch of songs I'd never heard before in my life...and, at the time, I thought I knew virtually all of his songs.  My older brother was a huge DAC fan, and had a bunch of his stuff on 8-track and cassette, and he was just as confused by the song selection as I was that night.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tempted to open another tab and google that, not 100% I want too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He made Linda Lovelace gag.

Tempted to open another tab and google that, not 100% I want too.

not a pic or video, you'll laugh
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I'm interested in the Gene5/ DAC saga
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I've never heard anything about him and the Vagos, but he's been linked to the Outlaws for decades. Google has a bunch of pictures of him in Outlaws shirts and such(I didn't see any of him in an actual cut though). Allegedly, the Hells Angels put a bomb under Coe's van sometime during the '80s because of his affiliation with the Outlaws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, that is contrary to anything I have ever read or pics I have seen.  Odd since he was raised and most of his career has been in the East and the Vagos are primarily a west coast club.

Where did you get that info?

I've never heard anything about him and the Vagos, but he's been linked to the Outlaws for decades. Google has a bunch of pictures of him in Outlaws shirts and such(I didn't see any of him in an actual cut though). Allegedly, the Hells Angels put a bomb under Coe's van sometime during the '80s because of his affiliation with the Outlaws.

It was his bus, and it was while he was on tour in north Carolina, years ago.story was coe called a HA bigwig out of the NYC chapter and convince them he was just an entertainer, not still a outlaw.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have worked a couple of his shows back in the ninties.one after he lost everything in that flood had filed for bankruptcy. He sneaks into town with all his gear in horsetrailers, demanding cash for the show.he was to report all income.never met anybody like coe.the riders in his contracts were  crazy.down to what he would have for supper and type of beer and liquors. Now I bet hes lucky if he can get a happy meal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]

...and this is what he said...

This thread is only gonna hurt for a little while
I'll only put the head of it in

I promise that I'll never ever come to your house...
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Somebody will get a little time off for bad behavior
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:24:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

He is a legend in his own mind, and the biggest lier you have ever met.[/quote]

His 3 biggest lies are:

1.) This will only hurt for a little while
2.) I'll only put the head of it in
3.) I promise that I'll never try to cum in your mouth

Don't think the OP wants his son to include that tidbit in his paper
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Said singer is a foul mouthed individual.
The End.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Go ahead and ruffle some feathers.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top