Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 11:35:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The easiest way, atleast around, here is to drive to the crappiest no tell motel in the area and run the plate of the car backed into the spot in the parking lot. abour 75% of the time it will hit as stolen.

J-
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
When my mother's stolen car was recovered in an alley in Baltimore the cop said that her "Bay" plate tipped him off.
As in, "No one in this neighborhood would pay $35 over registration for one of those."
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting read, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Fail, number 1 should be:  It's a Chrysler product  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Even though the Camry is the most stolen vehicle...

... makes sense...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

... makes sense...

man you used to be able to steal Saturns with pretty much anything that fit in the ignition. Got one started once with a filed down chop stick just to see if I could, and I did.

Older Chyrslers (mid 90-mid2000's) were instanly easy to steal, bust a small piece off the colum and crank her over.

J-

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
You couldn't weld a 1980's Cutlass or Regal down to keep it from being stolen in the late 80's - early 90's. Smack the column cover and immediate access to the ignition transfer linkage - off they went.

I used to royally piss off our Comm Center with 28s and 29s, but found a lot of GTAs that way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... makes sense...

man you used to be able to steal Saturns with pretty much anything that fit in the ignition. Got one started once with a filed down chop stick just to see if I could, and I did.

Older Chyrslers (mid 90-mid2000's) were instanly easy to steal, bust a small piece off the colum and crank her over.
J-

I remember '89-'91 Nissans would start with any worn down Nissan ignition key.
You couldn't weld a 1980's Cutlass or Regal down to keep it from being stolen in the late 80's - early 90's. Smack the column cover and immediate access to the ignition transfer linkage - off they went.

Yeah they were bad. 10 seconds with a flat head screwdriver and bye bye.

15 Ways to spot a stolen MV

#16- my Mobile Plate Hunter camera system.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

... makes sense...

I don't know where you work, but I can't recall dealing with many stolen Camrys.  On the other hand I recovered a ton of Dodge/Chrysler cars, trucks, SUVs, minivans, jeeps, etc.  I worked in a high volume area for car thefts and I probably wrote an average of one Chrysler theft and/or recover report for every day I worked while I was in patrol.  The 90s to early 2000 Chryslers are unbelievably easy to steal.  Kids were stealing them all the time, and I mean kids, I once got a twelve year old out of a stolo Caravan.

I'm talking real world experience, not something I read off the interweb.  But what do I know...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

... makes sense...

Just for shits and giggles, I did a quick google search for the state I worked and here are the results:

Which cars are stolen most often in Missouri?

1.2000 Dodge Intrepid
2.1998 Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
3.2000 Dodge Caravan
4.2005 Dodge Ram Pickup
5.1999 Ford Taurus
6.2004 Ford F150 Pickup
7.2004 Dodge Stratus
8.2000 Pontiac Grand Prix
9.1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass
10.1994 Ford Explorer

5 out of 5 ain't bad, and Camry didn't make the top 10 in my area.  Maybe it's a regional thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top