Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 9:43:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I found a 98 4 door Grand Prix with the super charged 6, leather, alloys etc. Look wise its pretty mint but does have some minor wear on the leather and the usuall scratches. I can pick it up for roughly $2000 and since it would be my second car insurance would only be $12 a month. Heres my biggest concern however. The car has 150,000 miles which bothers me. I am only looking for a car for around town and would be very surprised if I put even 5,000 on it a year. Would a Grand Prix make it to 160,000-165,000 without nikle & diming me. Also it seems like its depreciated about as much as its gonna go. Would I be able to get most of my money back on it in a couple years from now?

ETA This would be a private sale and I always take cars to a well known shop for inspection before purchasing.

Yes Denfintely without a shadow of a doubt get an inspection.  I've heard about lino problems from the Grand Prix.  If it's going to be a "spare car" IMO mileage isn't a big deal.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah if the give you the thumbs up, go for it!

My BIL (that is a former Chevy-Pontiac dealer employee) says that the GP's are like tanks.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The GPs are pretty good, and 150K isn't all that high mileage these days. Have the vehicle checked out well, if it checks out you are good to go. With basic maintanence the car will be good to go for a long time.

You also have to ask yourself, what do you expect from a $2000 car? If you are expecting the reliability of a new vehicle you are likely to be disappointed. Then again, I bought a 96 Neon for my wife earlier this winter for $90with 140K on it, the head in the trunk and a filthy interior. After rebuilding the head, putting it back together and a lot of quality time at the car wash, it is a nice car, it started up first try, and hasn't even hiccuped since. As a matter of fact this week I got a little surprise, the wife turned the AC on and it blows ice cold. Not bad for $90.

$90?

Tell me you're not shitting me!  That's incredible!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit I've got a 1998 Suburban with 267k miles on it. I'd trust  '98 Grand Prix just as much as my Sub. Especially if it's got a 3.8 motor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#10]
My Pontiac Bonneville has 161,000 on it and has no problems.  Its got the 3.8, but not super charged.  I sold my 89 Oldsmobile Delta 88 three weeks ago that had 251,00 on it and it ran excellent.  It also had a 3.8.

I'd look it over or have it looked over and if it checks out, use the mileage to your advantage on talking them down and buy it.

ETA: I was going to buy a 3.8 Grand Prix after selling my Olds, but my mom happend to buy a new car while I was looking for a Grand Prix.  I couldn't pass up her Bonneville with the "family" discount.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Look for fluid seepage or small leak on the SC drive seal and the nose cone side. They tend to leak there and are not always noticed because there is a cover on top. I have seen two SC's go bad due to loss of fluid from these leaks. This is one thing I check on all 3.8L SC motors, we have several customers with these, if you keep them full they are fine. When idling they should pretty much run silent, if you hear any whining or bearing growl it could be on the way out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top