User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2001 6:43:53 AM EDT
Who knows why? I do.
Scott

Edited because I was a bonehead.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#1]
11 states that succeeded, + 3 slave states?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like 13 stars to me.  One for each state.

[img]dixienet.org/images/flags/csa_flags/batlflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I always thought the border slave states were included.

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Hmm, I used all 10 fingers and 3 toes.  I come up with 13 stars everytime I count.  Maybe I'm missing somthing. [:D] Where did you come up with the 14th star?

[img]http://itomnt2.cob.appstate.edu/web200/web231/culpepper2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thirteen Stars? Oh my! 13? No wonder the South lost. [B)]
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rogue Star:
Thirteen Stars? Oh my! 13? No wonder the South lost. [B)]
View Quote

Lost?  We didn't lose.  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?   uhh,  wait....

Lost.  Nah, I thought it was still halftime.

[img]dixienet.org/images/animated/ani-csa-flags/5flags_lg.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 4/27/2001 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
1 South Carolina
2 North Carolina
3 Gerogia
4 Mississippi
5 Alabama
6 Tennessee
7 Virgina
8 Louisiana
9 Texas
10Arkansas
11Florida

12&13 are Kentucky and Missouri.  They voted to secede but never got the chance, but fought anyway.  Maryland and Maine, the other two slave states did not secede.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The first three prototype battle flags had 12 stars. By tradition the silk for the flags was dress material donated by the ladies. The 12 stars represented the 11 Confederate states and Missouri, which had seceded, but not yet a member of the C.S.A. The 13th star was added upon Kentucky's admission.

The federal tyrants only recognized 11 Confederate states. The damnyankees did not recognize Kentucky and Missouri. The CSA recognized 13 states and 2 territories. There was a loyal Confederate government in the Arizona territory and the C.S.A. had treaties with the 5 civilized nations (Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, & Seminole) of the Indian territory, later to be Oklahoma. Seems the Indians didn't like the blue coats either, wonder why. About 3,000 Indians fought for the C.S.A. The last Confederate general to surrender was Stand Waite of the Cherokee nation, and the last Confederate civil authorities to surrender were Governor Winchester Colbert and the Council of the Chickasaw Nation.

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
12&13 are Kentucky and Missouri.  They voted to secede but never got the chance, but fought anyway.  Maryland and Maine, the other two slave states did not secede.
View Quote
Kentucky and Missouri did secede, had loyal Confederate governments, and were recognized as Confederate states. Unfortunately, they also had loyal yankee governments, and the Confederates were unable to defend these states b/c of their location, and they were lost early in the war.

The two slave states that did not secede were Maryland and Delaware, not Maine. Delaware was a yankee state and had no intention of seceding. Maryland, on the other hand, would have seceded if that blood thirsty tyrant lincoln had not suspended Habeas Corpus and imprisoned the legislature to prevent it. "Sic Semper Tyrannis" HTH.

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Betcha didn't know that the Governors of the northern states of Mexico offered to secede and join the C.S.A.  The offer was considered.  It would have greatly expanded the C.S.A. territory and population, and given the Confederacy a Pacific port.  However, the Mexican ports in the Gulf were friendly to Confederate blockade runners, and if the Mexican states had joined the C.S.A., the federals would extend the blockade.  In addition, the Confederacy did not want another enemy and another front to fight on over Mexican secession.  Had the South won, the Mexican states might have been admitted into the C.S.A. after the war.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]
OOOPPPS I meant 13 stars. My bad. The answer was Missouri & Kentucky had dual governments & joined the Confederacy
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Wasn't Delaware also a slave state at one time?
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wasn't Delaware also a slave state at one time?
View Quote

Yes.  Read 4 posts up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top