Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 4:17:47 PM EDT
I've been hearing about how the Army is training FA units to perform to immediate mission needs in OIF. Any of you guys in 13X / 13D specifically or know what kind of missions the 13's are taking part in?

Many thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Howitzers require firing data.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]

WTF?

FA soldiers are the true "Universal Soldiers". They are doing direct action missions like the Infantry, convoy security, base defense, hauling UXO, and PSD duty. During OIF II, our sister BN, 1-7 FA out of Schweinfurt Germany, completely reorganized like an Infantry BN and spent their whole tour patrolling and kicking in doors looking for the bad guys. They sent guys to the Advanced Marksman Course to pull sniper duty.

Due to the amount of collateral damage that 155mm shells and 203mm rockets create, there isn't much call for traditional artillery in the sand box. But, we are Combat Arms and we have always practiced other missions, just not as intense as we do now. The train up time for a FA soldier to execute another type mission is short compared to trying to train Infantry or MPs from scratch out of AIT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

WTF?

FA soldiers are the true "Universal Soldiers". They are doing direct action missions like the Infantry, convoy security, base defense, hauling UXO, and PSD duty. During OIF II, our sister BN, 1-7 FA out of Schweinfurt Germany, completely reorganized like an Infantry BN and spent their whole tour patrolling and kicking in doors looking for the bad guys. They sent guys to the Advanced Marksman Course to pull sniper duty.

Due to the amount of collateral damage that 155mm shells and 203mm rockets create, there isn't much call for traditional artillery in the sand box. But, we are Combat Arms and we have always practiced other missions, just not as intense as we do now. The train up time for a FA soldier to execute another type mission is short compared to trying to train Infantry or MPs from scratch out of AIT.

Although provisional missions are a part of our (I am an FA Officer) repertoire.  Each RCT/BCT is still using artillery for both counter-fire and DS of troops in contact, the BCT in Ramadi put a Btry 6 155mm VT/PD on a 4 man RPG team along with 40 rounds of 120mm HE just the other week, so indirect fire still is being used.  I would say all troops, FA included should be prepared to be a provisional riflemen, many troops artillerymen included still do their primary mission.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
1ID did that also. 1-7FA and 1-6FA, while conducting infantry patrolling missions, they each had a section of guns prepared to conduct fire support. 1-33 FA (MLRS) did the same as well. We were doing base security, UXO hauling to ASPs, convoy security, patrols, and we always had a platoon on stand by for rocket missions.

Even though we were doing every other job in theatre, we never gave up our ability or mission of fire support. I t was scaled back with very restictive fire control measures. So much so, the CG/Division FSO had to approve our fire missions which always allowed the bad guys to get away.

I didn't mean to flame, I just didn't see how your first answer satisfied qualityhardware's question.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys,

Very helpful. What I have been hearing about is that just about everyone in Combat Arms, the 21Bs  and even the airmen are doing Infantry-type missions while maintaining their primary disciplines. Just wanted to confirm with the guys who are actually doing it.

Stay safe. Godspeed Redlegs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top