Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/23/2017 12:58:22 PM EDT
My 12yo is doing football for the first time this year.  He hasn't done much in the way of organized sports and he's a bit on the smallish side.  He has a touch of asthma (hasn't been much of a problem) but doing drills this summer has caused a few flareups.  He's had 2 instances in the past month where he's asked one of the assistants to let him get an inhaler.  The first time was a few weeks ago and the assistant gave him the "walk it off" routine.  I sent an email to the head coach politely explaining that he gets his inhaler no matter what and that I'd talk to my boy about making sure he doesn't use it as a crutch when drills get hard. Coach agreed to make sure it didn't happen again.

Well it happened again yesterday ..apparently the assistant coach had asthma as a kid and told my boy that he'd know if he really needed the inhaler or not

Guess who is going to practice today
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I would literally walk up and sucker punch him in the breadbasket
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Is he not allowed to have it on him or in his bag? Id want that if they are denying him it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is he not allowed to have it on him or in his bag? Id want that if they are denying him it.
View Quote
he has a bag at the practice field
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Throat punch will simulate the need for the inhaler. Apply appropriately.

Inform the dumb Ass. that:
•Asthma causes almost 2 million emergency room visits each year
•Each day, ten Americans die from asthma, and and in 2014, 3,651 people died from asthma. Many of these deaths are avoidable with proper treatment and care
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget your hickory.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience, pee wee football coaches are some of the most dedicated douchebags this country can produce.
Yes, some are not, but the ones that are give the other 1% a bad name.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't waste your time going to the practice, go to the school board and let the shit flow down hill.

You will likely end up at the school board anyway, might as well save yourself some time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI, actually I would punch many spots!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
That guy's judgement is askew. He has no business being charged with kid's welfare. I'd demand his removal from anything involving that team and your kiddo. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
the assistant coach, or OP's kid?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My 12yo is doing football for the first time this year.  He hasn't done much in the way of organized sports and he's a bit on the smallish side.  He has a touch of asthma (hasn't been much of a problem) but doing drills this summer has caused a few flareups.  He's had 2 instances in the past month where he's asked one of the assistants to let him get an inhaler.  The first time was a few weeks ago and the assistant gave him the "walk it off" routine.  I sent an email to the head coach politely explaining that he gets his inhaler no matter what and that I'd talk to my boy about making sure he doesn't use it as a crutch when drills get hard. Coach agreed to make sure it didn't happen again.

Well it happened again yesterday ..apparently the assistant coach had asthma as a kid and told my boy that he'd know if he really needed the inhaler or not

View Quote
You need to have a face-to-face with the assistant coaches and the head coach.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
What's the breadbasket? Stomach or nuts or kidneys?
That would be assault and battery so it wouldn't be worth it. Of course, we would dream of 1. CIA-style waterboarding, 2. Iraqi-style interrogation techniques with car batteries, 3. Charles Bronson-style Death Wish revenge.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't waste your time going to the practice, go to the school board and let the shit flow down hill.

You will likely end up at the school board anyway, might as well save yourself some time.
View Quote
This is good advice, if the school board meets any time soon. If they dont meet for another month, that will just let the problem fester.
It would be hard for me not to go to practice and express my concern.
Do what ya gotta do dad.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Whomever you talk to, mention the term "lawsuit" frequently.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember to record horizontally!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Cut his brake lines.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Head coach might not have told assistant coach yet, or he might have told and assistant coach might have thought "that's bullshit."

Giving the head coach notice that "your numbnuts assistant coach fucked up, and if my boy dies then it's on you because you've been put on notice TWICE" should be enough to fix the problem.  I'd give head coach one last chance to fix his shit before running to the school board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
That's fucking retarded.  I've never heard of someone denied an inhaler in HS, College or NFL.  That coach needs to be canned
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Make sure and tell your kid to ignore him next time.  What's he going to do, physically stop him?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

•Each day, ten Americans die from asthma, and and in 2014, 3,651 people died from asthma. Many of these deaths are avoidable with proper treatment and care
View Quote
Yep give this to the dumb SOB
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Thats horseshjt.  Any person with asthma knows when they need their inhaler.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In my experience, pee wee football coaches are some of the most dedicated douchebags this country can produce.
Yes, some are not, but the ones that are give the other 1% a bad name.
View Quote
But football is important! It teaches life lessons! There's no time to be nice or understanding! It's not a game for children! It's war!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmm, we have a nurse/medic on hand for practices and games.

Coaches shouldn't be in charge of anything medical-related.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL dude how the fuck have you not choked the asst coach out???
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hmm, we have a nurse/medic on hand for practices and games.

Coaches shouldn't be in charge of anything medical-related.
View Quote
There is nothing so much like God on Earth like a general on a battlefield coach on a gridiron.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is nothing so much like God on Earth like a general on a battlefield coach on a gridiron.
View Quote
I'm aware, I live in the heart of the SEC.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Make sure and tell your kid to ignore him next time.  What's he going to do, physically stop him?
View Quote
This.  Tell the kid to inform he is getting his inhaler, not ask to get it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

he has a bag at the practice field
View Quote
I'd make it clear to both coaches that, effective immediately, he will walk over and get it without either of their permissions when he needs it.  Do we all understand each other?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Should take the kid out of football, also.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd make it clear to both coaches that, effective immediately, he will walk over and get it without either of their permissions when he needs it.  Do we all understand each other?
View Quote
This too
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Just tell your kid to put it in his sock during practice.  That's what I did.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm sure all of this will get him tons of playing time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#33]
If I were to go to practice, the first words out of my mouth would be "Where did you study medicine". After that law suit talk, ass whopping then blade at 45.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Is you kid kinda (sorry) softish? Would he want his inhaler as a means to get out of practice activities or when he gets tired and wants to stop?
In high school we had a couple first timers who were like this. Coach had to talk with them on the side of the field multiple times to get them back into the spirit of things. Some kids just don't have the drive and start coming up with excuses. 
Not that this is your kid, but some coaches get tired of excuses, especially in football. 

ETA: My bad, didn't read the 12 yr old part for some reason. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If I were to go to practice, the first words out of my mouth would be "Where did you study medicine". After that law suit talk, ass whopping then blade at 45.
View Quote
You forgot about the adrenalin dump.  When's he going to have the adrenalin dump?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
What kind of dumb ass pulls that crap in this day and age? I mean I think we are way overboard when it comes to overblown lawsuits, etc. But messing with a kid that is in respiratory distress? That's just asking for it. My 8 year old has asthma, but he goes and goes. If he's asking for it, he needs it. End of story. My wife had a chat with his old day care because one of the aids did the same thing. Wouldn't let him go inside during recess. It only happened once.

That coach needs a throat punch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That guy's judgement is askew. He has no business being charged with kid's welfare. I'd demand his removal from anything involving that team and your kiddo. 
View Quote
This sums it up well.
That guy is not a "coach". He's an idiot.

I thought my 7th grade coach was an ass for making us throw up through our face mask before we were allowed to take our helmet off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#38]
i have sports induced asthma, and I'd tell that ahole to fuck off. I'd also tell him that it's clinical, doctor ordered, and if he gets hurt cause the coach denied him an inhaler I'd kill him out of spite.

don't put up with that.  Tell that asshole he's not your kids doctor and he's not bear bryant. His job is to protect your kid and teach him how to be a football player, not be his doctor.  what a dick.

I swear,  there are so many wannabe assholes at the junior levels of sport, it's almost not worth it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is you kid kinda (sorry) wimpy? Would he want his inhaler as a means to get out of practice activities or when he gets tired and wants to stop?
In high school we had a couple first timers who were like this. Coach had to talk with them on the side of the field multiple times to get them back into the spirt of things. Some kids just don't have the drive and start coming up with excuses. 
Not that this is your kid, but some coaches get tired of excuses, especially in football. 
View Quote
When I played baseball in HS , the coaches never yelled, never berated the players, and never felt the need to pretend it was anything more than a game.
I quit HS football two weeks in when the coaches were treating us more like privates than like players.

I wonder how many kids give up on sports because the adults simply suck all the fun out of it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
We're similar in that its my boy's first year playing football and he has childhood asthma but his coach keeps an inhaler in the medical box in case he needs it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Remember to record horizontally!
View Quote
Yeah, this.  In for updates.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#44]
asst. coach sounds like a cunt
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is you kid kinda (sorry) softish? Would he want his inhaler as a means to get out of practice activities or when he gets tired and wants to stop?
In high school we had a couple first timers who were like this. Coach had to talk with them on the side of the field multiple times to get them back into the spirit of things. Some kids just don't have the drive and start coming up with excuses. 
View Quote
2 requests in the past month with practices during 95deg heat I doubt it.  He's the type that likes to prove himself
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
well, that is what's really important here.  Not medical treatment, or needs, but playing time....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess we should all go to OP son's football practice.
Looks like everyone is on the same page to choke out the assistant coach.

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#49]
A few of the kids I coach occasionally need an inhaler.

We do lots of laps and sprints.

Some kids push themselves too far, and then need it.

Other kids always seem to need it when things get hard.

No one ever needs it when we're doing a really fun drill.

For some of them, it's a timeout and a crutch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like he's just trying to channel his inner Jimmy Johnsonn, is your son a kicker?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top